leg question

Options
KS_4691
KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
Okay so I've always been a runner, but I supplement with *some* strength training and crosstraining. However, this summer I've been much more serious about resistance training and activities like cycling. I've definitely been doing many more squats than before. Here's the problem--I have gained TWO INCHES of muscle in my rear, and my thighs have definitely become larger (more muscular) than before. Should I stop or slow down with the resistance training and try to run off the muscle? I guess what I'm asking is if thin, toned legs look better than a more muscular lower body? (Sidenote: I'm not the Incredible Hulk right now or anything.)

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    What do YOU think looks good? That's all that matters.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Personal preference really. You will never be able to get super bulky due to lack of testosterone and personally I find it more attractive to see a female with some definition as opposed to the soft and smooth 'skinny' look most get from just running.

Looks terrible. I say don't worry too much about it. If you start getting to the point where you are as muscular as you would like then keep your resistance at that level. You won't grow bigger if you don't lift heavier.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Try yoga to lengthen out the muscles (think dancer, not body builder)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    One of my former instructors told me after doing strength training you should do stretches and yoga to lengthen out the muscle and then it wouldn't get so bulky. Not sure how true this is, but it made sense!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you like how it looks then keep it up! I can't seem to bulk up my hams at all so I'm a bit jealous! I've always had stick legs. They are very muscular everywhere but on the back side, which is what I would like. I have always liked the way the more muscular thighs look on women.
  • jessicacable14
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I was getting very discouraged because I felt like I was getting bigger instead of smaller. My problem has been that I look at magazines and think that that's how I should look. After some very kind words from my husband, I know that as long as I'm working hard and seeing results, it doesn't matter if I have muscular legs instead of sticks. It all boils down to what you want and how it makes you feel. That's all that matters! :)
  • blacktallon
    Options
    Personally I think girls (as a fellow female) should not be afraid of bulking up with some muscle. To me there is nothing "manly" about it. There is nothing wrong with looking as strong as you feel!
  • SLPTGE
    SLPTGE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am guessing your legs look just fine. no need running off what you worked hard for:smile:
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Need pics
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body shape. If you are unbalanced, for example, your legs are now out of proportion to the rest of your body, I'd say cool it. I have to watch how much leg training I do as well, because I can gain easily there. If you like the way it looks, continue what you are doing, but be sure to balance it out with upper body training.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what I like better. My pants definitely like my legs to be skinnier. I'm about the same size waist, but my pants don't fit. It's much easier to fit in clothes when you have the body type of a mannequin haha. In heels, I would definitely take my legs now. I actually bought three pairs of 5" heels today. And I will admit that I really enjoy squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc because I'm so damn good at them haha. (But I'm also good at eating and drinking but I don't overdo it with that.) Once I start training for my next race, I'll probably have to lay off the lower body resistance a bit anyway though...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Embrace the booty! You worked hard for it.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Embrace the booty! You worked hard for it.

Amen! Strong is the new skinny.. in my opinion a toned booty is def sexier. Don't be afraid to muscle up.. your body is restructuring to be able to handle the more strenuous activity, but you'll never be the hulk. We're female .. we can't really bulk up like a man. It'll also increase your metabolism with the extra muscle so when you're older, when your metabolism is supposed to decrease you'll still have muscle to keep your metabolism up.

As far as figure.. to each their own. It's all about what you feel better with.