Cooking with oil, how do you account for it?

Options
Just thought I'd pose this question out there... when you sauté, shallow or deep fry food with oil, how much do you account for in terms calories in your food?
Oil seems to have a pretty high calorie count!

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate :| depending on what I'm eating, I guess how much oil soaked up, and the add a tablespoon to that.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't use oil for cooking if I can avoid it, in my case that's most of the time. Most types of meat have enough fat in them that using extra oil isn't really nessesary. If I have to use oil, I pour it into a measuring spoon first, usually one 5 or 10 gram size spoonful is enough.
    And I never deep fry anything.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I divide it by the number of servings, and assume it is all accounted for in the eating.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I don't deep fry, but, when I'm cooking I just use less and log it all.

If a recipe calls for a tablespoon for sauteing, I'll use 1-2 teaspoons, or maybe none, depending on what's going in the pan.

~Lyssa
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I never deep fry.

Depends on the dish. I have a rule for roasting: 1g oil/100g vegetable/food. By weighing before and after (e.g., 100g raw brussel sprouts might be 80 cooked), I can figure out how much oil I used.

If it's something that doesn't require a lot of oil I will just spray with coconut oil. You can weigh your oil (spray can or bottle) before/after if you're not using it for deep frying or marinade.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I measure the oil I use and if it doesn't all get used then at least I know I've eaten less
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I usually just cook with water, if I use oil I measure it out.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    For sauteed food measure/ weigh it, then divide the serving of oil among my servings of food. I haven't deep fried anything in a long time, but I would imagine a selecting fried entry would get you close. Or wiegh food pre fried, then weigh after. The additional weight would be your oil.