Finding Support

Options
Just started & feeling a bit overwhelmed. Need to loose roughly 35 lbs, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so working out has been a huge struggle for me. Would love to hear from anyone else who knows how to feel successful in their workouts, while also dealing with the major flare ups that come after.

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight on a calorie deficit alone. Exercise is for overall health benefits. It would be advisable to speak with your doctor about how best to proceed with a physical program that best suits your needs.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well life is not fair....I have spinal disc issue...left knee issues due to a meniscus tear, but above all if you truly have the passion or determination, you can work around your injuries by being selective about your workouts. Stay Strong!
  • drewgun
    drewgun Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try Triple Strength Osteo Biflex. They sell at Walmart. I thought I was getting rheumatoid arthritis and someone turned me on to it. I now spring out of bed like a little kid. If your limited on exercises, try fasted HIIT cardio. it doesn't matter what cardio (run, bike, step, etc.) Get your heart rate up, then back down. Maximum 3x a week. Figure your heart rate percentages. 220 minus your age times whatever percent. I usually hit 80-90%, then cool it down to 60-70%, then back at it again. it can burn calories up to 2 days.
  • macrologger
    macrologger Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you tried anything lower impact on days you feel fatigued? Maybe biking at a steady state or walking at a doable pace on a slight incline? Swimming might also be a great alternative. HIIT is wonderful, but on days you feel fatigued it might not be the best idea, but on days you have the energy then yes. On my cardio days I do circuits that include cardio and weights (battle ropes, then renegade rows, etc.). I don't know that I would trust any supplement they sell at Walmart - go to a natural food store and see what they offer, but definitely consult with your doctor first. I hope you are on the mend soon!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Exercise will actually help your RA, walking in particular as it keeps the joints flexible, also yoga or swimming.

You can lose those 35lbs back logging your calories accurately and consistently staying within your allotted calories.

All the best.
  • Gorby90
    Gorby90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Lexi,
    I’m in a similar position. My RA had been manageable but lately I’m flaring more while at the same time trying to exercise, not always easy. I’m on prednisone which packs on the pounds but while my doctors try other meds I’m stuck with them!
    I’m currently trying to really clean up my diet in the hope that will help some!
    I so enjoy the workouts but I’ve had to stop for now as it just kept putting me into a flare!
    I hope you’re doing ok!