What is your routine in the gym?

Options
I started going to the gym today and had no idea what to do other than than going on the treadmill and rower. Can you tell me your routine so I have an idea of how it's supposed to be?

Also, nothing lifting related because I'm still too intimidated to go to that area so for now, I'd rather stay in the non-lifting section bit increasing my confidence slowly.

Replies

• AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can try looking up exercises to do with the free weights! Dumbbells, kettlebells, etc! :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what we're doing. Our experience level, goals, and preferences are probably different than yours. Plus many people are simply copying others, so any mistakes get cloned. For strength training, read the top pinned post, which contains many of the proven programs, and also info on feeling confident in the weight room.
    Another option is to hire a good personal trainer. :+1:
  • mayas135
    mayas135 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifter. Honestly, I feel like you get your best body lifting.

I agree but I want to do cardio for health reasons e.g. not getting out of breath walking etc. But I will try and start in a few weeks. :)
  • mayas135
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Don't worry about what we're doing. Our experience level, goals, and preferences are probably different than yours. Plus many people are simply copying others, so any mistakes get cloned. For strength training, read the top pinned post, which contains many of the proven programs, and also info on feeling confident in the weight room.

I wish personal trainers were cheap then I'd have no problem getting one :)

I guess I'll keep going and doing whatever. One day I'll get it right
  • huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    mayas135 wrote: »

The fact you are at the gym is half the battle! Any movement is good.

I split my cardio and lift between them. I start with 20 minutes on the elliptical. Lift weights. Monday and Thursday is chest and back. Tuesday and Friday is biceps, triceps and shoulders. Wednesday is legs. Follow that up with 15-20 minutes on the treadmill walking wat 3.5 incline and 3.5 mph.

Mix it up do the elliptical one day then treadmill the next. Throw in exercise bike and stair stepper. Or simply jump rope.

Don’t be bashful with starting to lift. Start small, 2 lb. 5 lb. weights if you must. Start with full body work outs and start w the major muscle groups. If your gym has smith machines. nautilus equipment then start there. Many websites with beginner programs or even YouTube

Good luck.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Usually gym staff don't mind if you take the lighter dumbbells to another area of the gym. Feel free to grab some and find a cozy corner when you feel ready. :)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Invest the 1000 dollars in a few training sessions. Your body will thank you. Consider it injury prevention training. And, that trainer will be able to tailor a program to you and your goals. 1000 dollars should get you about 12 sessions. Work with them 2 times a week, so 6 weeks total of training. That'll give you the confidence to branch out too. Or else, you're just wasting time not knowing what to do.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to go to the gym! When I first started I was intimidated by the lifters too. Eventually I downloaded an app that got me started but if you're not ready for that and don't want to spend the money for a trainer, what about using the elliptical? Since it creates resistance for both upper and lower body, it might be a good place to start.

Good luck! I can't wait to read the posting telling us how fit you are!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner... I follow a dumbbell lifting routine 2 x a week at home.
  • mayas135
    edited March 2018
    Options

Oh do you mind telling me what you do with the dumbbells at home?
  • mayas135
    Options
    huskydoo wrote: »

The fact you are at the gym is half the battle! Any movement is good.

I split my cardio and lift between them. I start with 20 minutes on the elliptical. Lift weights. Monday and Thursday is chest and back. Tuesday and Friday is biceps, triceps and shoulders. Wednesday is legs. Follow that up with 15-20 minutes on the treadmill walking wat 3.5 incline and 3.5 mph.

Mix it up do the elliptical one day then treadmill the next. Throw in exercise bike and stair stepper. Or simply jump rope.

Don’t be bashful with starting to lift. Start small, 2 lb. 5 lb. weights if you must. Start with full body work outs and start w the major muscle groups. If your gym has smith machines. nautilus equipment then start there. Many websites with beginner programs or even YouTube

Good luck.

That's really interesting. Thank you very much! I was planning on doing the same routine every day but I guess it's better to mix it up like you. :)
    Congrats on your decision to go to the gym! When I first started I was intimidated by the lifters too. Eventually I downloaded an app that got me started but if you're not ready for that and don't want to spend the money for a trainer, what about using the elliptical? Since it creates resistance for both upper and lower body, it might be a good place to start.

Good luck! I can't wait to read the posting telling us how fit you are!!

Oooo what app did you use if you don't mind me asking? Elliptical does sound good, thanks!! :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Consider some of the classes they might offer if any... My wife lost a ton of weight doing zumba and other classes while eating right!

Other than that, just cycle through the cardio equipment every day, so you don't over use any 1 joint or muscle
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Depends on your gym and what equipment they have. But would see about a class or most gyms have 1 training session free start there. You should get some weight training in doesn't have to be giant lifts but if your goal is get leaner/fitter cardio alone won't get you there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I follow a full body programme from muscle & strength.

There is a thread on here about lifting programmes, it's from that.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mayas135
    Options

I follow a full body programme from muscle & strength.

There is a thread on here about lifting programmes, it's from that.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Oo Thanks!! :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I mostly go to the gym to lift. I do my cardio to videos at home(morning) or go outside to run(evenings or weekends). I lift 2-3x per week (evenings) and cardio everyday.
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I normally work with everybody pushing them towards deadlifting, squatting, bench pressing and overhead pressing. Of course everybody is different, some may go at a slower pace than others and some may not be suited to those lifts because of health or injury.

But they are definitely good goals to work towards!

If you can hinge, push, squat and press overhead efficiently you're moving pretty well overall :)
  • soukyfitness
    soukyfitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I start on the treadmill with a light walking warmup and then either do cardio or interval sprints. After I walk to cool down, I do core using the machines, as well as legs using machines and sometimes arms. I'm still figuring out what I'm doing at the gym as well!
  • michelleg85
    michelleg85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I googled spratan WOD (workout of the day) or other types of workouts. Often there are some great ones where you don't need much. A friend of mine also recommended to me a "100" workout where you choose 10 different workouts and decrease from 100. Example: 100 jumping jacks, 90 squats, 80 burpees (with breaks), etc etc until you get to 10. I also noticed that if I found a little section of the gym to do my own thing I could observe others on machines or using weights to see how it was done, and then when I felt ready and it wasn't too busy (and with possible research ahead of time) I would sneak in and try. It's amazing how fast you move from first-timer unsure into comfortable pro mood with something. And once you try it out and realize how great it feels you will gain the confidence to try more and more things.