Egg white bites/"muffins"

Options
orangegato
orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
I bought egg whites at Costco and now have a shitload of it. Does anyone have a recipe for making egg white bites or "muffins" in the oven? I'd love to copy Starbucks sous vide ones but I am not going to cook that way and will basically use my oven.

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This isn’t exactly what you’re looking for but sometimes I put a piece of ham or other lunch meat in a muffin tin and then crack an egg inside the ham! Light salt and pepper or other seasoning on top! Bake in the oven and it is super good! You can scramble the egg or just crack it in. I have seen people put cheese on top too!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    I bought egg whites at Costco and now have a shitload of it. Does anyone have a recipe for making egg white bites or "muffins" in the oven? I'd love to copy Starbucks sous vide ones but I am not going to cook that way and will basically use my oven.

Sorry. I really don't quite get this egg white thing. Buying part of an egg seems really weird to me.
  • orangegato
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Yes, thanks. Looking to see if someone has made any and which recipe they like best. Maybe I am overthinking it.
  • orangegato
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Whipped them up and make my recipe for protein angel food cake. Posted.

Awesome. Thanks
  • dgread53
    dgread53 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How about some min-frittatas made in your muffin tins? Sauté some finely minced onion and bell pepper and add broccoli, mushrooms, chopped spinach, etc., whatever veggies you like (even leftovers from last night), and cook these just until blanched and crisp/tender. Place in your muffin tins (prepared with cooking spray) and add your egg whites. Top with a little low-fat cheese or a sprinkle of grated fresh Parmesan. Bake about 12-15 minutes, or until the tops are brown. These are delicious hot, room temperature, or cold.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I made those egg muffin thingies. My gas was so bad that I had to throw them all away.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Roast some vegetables, cover with egg whites and bake in a well greased muffin pan or use silicone liners. I usually make a big casserole but, on occasion, I will use my silicone muffin liners.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Hated the egg frittata/muffin thingies after 2 days. They crumbled coming out of the tin, the texture was weird, and the eggs were.... strong.
    Don't get me wrong, they SMELLED and tasted awesome right out of the oven but the clean up wasn't worth it and they didn't hold up in terms meal prepping.

I sautéed spinach, bell peppers, chicken sausage, mushrooms, and onions, put that in the tins, added egg, seasoned. All awesome stuff but turns out I really don't care for baked eggs.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Sorry. I really don't quite get this egg white thing. Buying part of an egg seems really weird to me.

All the protein and half the calories of whole eggs. Sorry, not sorry. :grin:

You should be at least a little sorry. Protein isn't the end-all, be-all of nutrition. Even the wooiest of the woos admit that fat is fairly important part of the picture. By NOT wasting the yolk, you get a *kitten*-ton of vitamins, as well as more protein and the missing fat from your whites.

Anyway, you can make a ton of dessert with them. Meringues and such. Otherwise, I'd just be scrambling them with veggies and protein, topping with avocado.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Hated the egg frittata/muffin thingies after 2 days. They crumbled coming out of the tin, the texture was weird, and the eggs were.... strong.
    Don't get me wrong, they SMELLED and tasted awesome right out of the oven but the clean up wasn't worth it and they didn't hold up in terms meal prepping.

I sautéed spinach, bell peppers, chicken sausage, mushrooms, and onions, put that in the tins, added egg, seasoned. All awesome stuff but turns out I really don't care for baked eggs.

And this. Cleaning the GD muffin trays...
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites & make egg muffins. My favorite lately has been sauteed onion & bell pepper, breakfast sausage with the egg white. Lots of seasoning too. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do use a sous vide to make copycat Starbucks bites but you can just do them in muffin tins too, i'd probably bake them at 350 for around 20 minutes or whenever they're firm. This is the recipe I use and its pretty close to the Starbucks ones as far as taste.

Ingredients for 6
    6 egg whites

1/4 c/2oz Neufchatel/cream cheese

1/2 c cottage cheese

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 Tablespoons finely chopped roasted red pepper/capsicum/pimento

2 green onions, green parts only, finely chopped

Blend/food process egg whites, cream cheese, cottage cheese, salt and pepper together until well blended. Pour evenly into cups, stir in red pepper and onion into each cup.
  • akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make these, they reheat well. My husband doesn't care for the spinach/tomato so on his so I add 1/2 slice of bacon or diced ham to his. Never had an issue with them sticking either, I use pam.

https://www.tasty.co/recipe/egg-white-breakfast-cups
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

And this. Cleaning the GD muffin trays...

If you spray the tins well enough, there is no major cleaning.
    I had to learn that the hard way several times
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    <——- Silicon muffin trays, silicon liners. No sticking.
  • HannahL3Nport
    HannahL3Nport Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You can make a variation by poaching - I've used this poaching insert that has spots for three 'muffins'
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/7051-bialetti-nonstick-egg-poacher.html

I usually make them using the entire egg, but it would probably work with just the whites.
    Clean up of the pan is pretty easy, just rinse and swish with a wet washcloth with a little dishwashing liquid.