CrossFit

Options
Ems500c
Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
I'm thinking of joining a local crossfit gym and was looking for any feedback. I know it's not going to be easy and I'm sure it will not be enjoyable but was looking for something to push me a little bit harder than just the gym. Any feedback positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Ems500c
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I definitely do not want to start an argument here, just wanted some honest feedback from someone who has tried it and liked or even disliked it. I know we are all different and like different things, but I'm not at all physically fit and know that anything like this will push me harder than I have been in the past. I know for me a group setting (also know everyone is different) is what I need to push myself harder and also commit to a class that I will get to know people and they (hopefully) will miss me if I bail on it.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't forget also that crossfit workouts can be fitted to your fitness, we are not all Rich Froning. I don't belong to a Crossfit box, but if you choose a good one the coach should bring you in at a pace you can follow but still be challenging
  • Ems500c
    Options
    Thanks!
  • nucldo
    nucldo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 and was 80 pounds overweight. I have been doing crossfit for 13 months now and LOVE it. Every workout is scaled to my abilities and I have seen great results (down 40 pounds and no longer require blood pressure medications). The two things that I enjoy the most is the community atmosphere and that essentially every work out is different. I would suggest that you research the boxes in your local area and actually go visit them so that you can find an atmosphere that you enjoy. It was one of the best decisions that I have even made for my health!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    definitely try it. Most good boxes will have you do a series of Fundamentals classes before you are allowed to take part in real classes. For me this was six sessions, and even after that I still don't know all the acronyms.

It'll push you. It'll make you lie on the floor in a ball of sweat, but you'll look around and see others who on the face of it are super fit, are also laid out on the ground in a ball of sweat.

For me I enjoy the scalability. You are only trying to improve yourself, although there is a certain competitiveness and sometimes if you are working in pairs you feel responsible for the team score. But at the end of the day that 'score' gets you exactly nothing, apart from a ball of sweat, so what's the worry?

For some people it doesn't work, and there are some boxes where the trainers are reputedly not great. There will always be a coach around to ask, and as with anything that involves weights check on form form form all the time. It's not a strength training programme, it's not a gymnastics programme, but I find it motivating as even when scaled down for my limited abilities, I get a real sense of achievement.

and there are burpees. What's not to hate?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only way you'll know is to try it. I tried it years ago and personally, it wasn't my cup 'o tea but other people love it.

To me, it just seemed like a lot of randomness thrown together to make a workout.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I think it's just something you have to try for yourself.

I tried it for a few months and found it wasn't for me, but all the other members at the box loved it. The community aspect is really great.

I was coming from a powerlifting/bodybuilding background, so I already have some strong workout preferences and found it just didn't mesh with the training style I prefer, or fit my specific goals. I actually like doing the same exercises week to week.

For general fitness, weightloss, and constant program variety it could be a great fit. Having a good coach watching your form is also a plus.
  • lhub2
    lhub2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, the workouts are scalable, so you do what you can do, and you’ll see yourself improve in a fairly short period of time. You’ll be stronger, and your endurance will definitely improve if you stick with it. I’m over 50 and thought I was in pretty good shape. Then I started CrossFit and found out I was wrong. I’m better now.
  • Ems500c
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going today to visit a local one and maybe tomorrow the other one. I am lucky enough that I have like 5 in my general area between work and home so have a few options to try out! Thanks again everyone!!
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been training at my local Crossfit Box for nearly a year, am now much stronger and fitter than I was and I really enjoy it.

There are good coaches and bad coaches as in anything though.

If they write scores on the board, remember, you're only competing with you, if you're not confident lifting the Rx weight, don't.

It's generally a great community though, I get so bored trying to work out at the gym alone that I just don't go. But love the atmosphere at a Crossfit class.
  • Ems500c
    Options
    Yes that's the main reason for looking into it is the class. If I go to the gym after a long day at work and 25 minutes into it I'm like OK I'm tired long day I'll just go and come back tomorrow (which hardly ever happens) I feel if I'm in a class I can't just leave and go back tomorrow. (well I probably could but wouldn't want to find out what happened if I did LOL)
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd just follow the advice above, if you have a couple of boxes near you, have a chat with their coaches, see if they offer a free tasting session. Go along and have fun.

As someone who hadn't done any exercise for 3 years before joining, it was a bit intimidating going along to my first class. But you quickly learn, no one cares what you can lift, no one cares how fast you can finish the workout and there's a progression for everything.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Some things to look at when you are visiting the affiliates:
    - Are there participants from a wide range of ages and fitness backgrounds? I want to see that at an affiliate because I want to know that the coaches can handle a diverse group of clients and that certain folks aren't silently excluded.
    - Are the coaches actively engaged in coaching the class?
    Ive been to boxes where the coaches are chatting and on their phones instead during the WOD portion of the class. I never went back.
  • fitmetalmom
    fitmetalmom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, visit and try out the boxes you are contemplating joining. Good coaches and member community can be a very big factor in CrossFit "success" I have been doing it for almost 6 years now. It has become a lifestyle for me and would not be so without the coaches and other members there. Mutual motivation is contagious and I have seen most transformations take place because of our gym "environment" Good luck!
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Crossfit wasn't for me. I appreciate that a lot of people really love it though, so I think you have to give it a go to know whether or not it's the right fit for you.
    What I didn't like:
    - random progressions, the programs don't seem to be designed well over a time period
    - too much 'teaminess' for my liking, I hate the high fives and personal best bell ringing
    - in my 'box' I think they needed to cap numbers, there wasn't enough space
    - very shallow here, but I don't like the shape Crossfit gives. And I like muscles, but I prefer a figure competitors look which isn't as boxy across the obliques
  • prescottgal7
    prescottgal7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    CrossFit is for all fitness levels and abilities. The big appeal, for me, is the functional fitness aspect. It's not just about building muscles or cardio stamina. It's about being able to do everyday movements, without restriction, for the rest of your life. Because you are not using machines - with the exception of the rowers and air cycles - your body builds strength, balance and flexibility from using your body to execute the movements. I want to be a healthy 90 year old woman who can briskly walk without a cane or walker, who can still climb a step ladder to change a light bulb and work in the yard without help - because I'm making the investment in my body now. I love my box. I'm only 4 months in, and my coaches insist on correct form before proceeding with more weight - or any weight! I am surprised at how much I love lifting, I had no idea I would feel this way, and while I'm frustrated because my pace of progress is slow, in the long run I know it's for the best and one day I'll be lifting at the prescribed weight for my age!
  • fitmetalmom
    fitmetalmom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    CrossFit is for all fitness levels and abilities. The big appeal, for me, is the functional fitness aspect. It's not just about building muscles or cardio stamina. It's about being able to do everyday movements, without restriction, for the rest of your life. Because you are not using machines - with the exception of the rowers and air cycles - your body builds strength, balance and flexibility from using your body to execute the movements. I want to be a healthy 90 year old woman who can briskly walk without a cane or walker, who can still climb a step ladder to change a light bulb and work in the yard without help - because I'm making the investment in my body now. I love my box. I'm only 4 months in, and my coaches insist on correct form before proceeding with more weight - or any weight! I am surprised at how much I love lifting, I had no idea I would feel this way, and while I'm frustrated because my pace of progress is slow, in the long run I know it's for the best and one day I'll be lifting at the prescribed weight for my age!

Spot on. I felt this way 5 years ago when I first started Crossfit. I have benefited so much by making it my "lifestyle". Fast forward to today...I have never felt fitter or better..,..and I'll be 47 next month. I can't imagine each day without doing "functional fitness" in and out of the gym. I'm not saying this is everyone's answer...but whatever it is that you can make into a healthy permanent lifestyle moving forward...the results will show.

• MiTcHy151
    MiTcHy151 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to the MFP communities. Been doing crossfit for a year now. Love it and in such good shape. Definitely struggle with nutrients though.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Check out the boxes. Read reviews of the coaches. Some crossfit gyms offer more general cardio or strength training classes as well.