Plank Question

Options
Okay, I have a plank question for all you fitness experts. Why is doing a plank on the forearms so much harder than doing a high plank on your hands? It seems MUCH harder to me.

Do you use different muscles to perform a forearm plank? If so, I need to seriously work those muscles because they suck.

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I find the high plank easier too. I think (but i'm not sure) that the high plank works the triceps more and the core a bit less than the forearm plank. Admittedly, the only high planks I regularly do are the ones from Sun Salutation (yoga), so maybe i'm just not doing them long enough and they aren't really any less challenging.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    On a forearm plank, your body is more horizontal so your forearms are carrying more of the load and your core is working harder. On a high plank, your body is a bit more vertical so more of the load is transferred to your legs and feet. IMO.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I find it the other way around.

I'd suggest doing a video check and make sure your plank is correct and you're not bowing or bridging
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try these - Best of both worlds!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    amelisegb wrote: »
    Try these - Best of both worlds!!

Or the worse ;-)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes forearm is harder. Think about learning progressive push ups. Counter push ups are the easiest. As you get lower with each progression it gets harder.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love planks. Ha, but I'm reading a novel where they're using planks as a form of military torture. At the 1:58 mark yesterday I realised how effective that would be!