I need my ladiessss!

Options
So it’s right around that lovely time of the month for me and I gained like a half a pound and am wondering if it’s because of my period comming. I don’t know if I’m being crazy over a half a pound but seeing the scale go up scares me a little even if it’s the slightest bit. Also! I feel like my weight loss came too a complete hault and I’m not sure why I’m not doing anything different! Help! Ps. This is my first time trying to loose weight.

Replies

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Relax. Mine goes up 3-4 lbs around that time. Goes down just as fast afterwards / during the second half of the ordeal. Just don't let it influence you or your health habits. If it's easier, you can stop weighing in all-together during that time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    People's weight fluctuates by up to a couple of pounds from day to day; some women have larger fluctuations and predictable patterns through their cycles.

Instead of just feeling how your weight trend moves, monitor it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10575000/water-weight-gain-stop-panicking/p1

It is pretty normal to retain water at some point or for weight to fluctuate for some other reason. Just be patient and it will go away. Never freak out over one weigh in. Look at your weight over weeks instead of hours or days
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you are freaking out over half a pound? half a pound could literally be anything - water weight, waste, etc. you need to realize that weight fluctuates and you will never be one exact weight all the time.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yep, due on next week and it's creeping on already...1.2lbs this morning from yesterday's weigh in but I don't let it worry me. I look forward to the first day and it all comes off again :)

Hang in there!
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Expect to gain around TOM, ovulation, if you go on or off a medication, if you're starting a new exercise routine or seriously sleep deprived, etc. As long as you stick to your calorie goals it will drop off. I had a two-fer last week with starting medication and getting significantly less sleep than I needed for workout recovery. Everything hurt and I knew I was going to be up on the scale before I weighed and I was right. The extra pound and a half dropped off today like I expected. No reason to freak out. Train yourself to anticipate it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If I only "gained" a half pound I'd be glad.
  • bribbyx74
    bribbyx74 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @Muscleflex79 OK first of all nobody said I was freaking out over half of pound I said it scares me a little bit because I didn’t know what caused it didn’t know my body fluctuated during my period I have no idea because this is my first time on a diet like I said in the beginning of this forum. And yeah maybe I do need to realize that that’s why I’m asking these questions so thanks for your input but next time don’t.
  • bribbyx74
    bribbyx74 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies I just never tried to lose weight before and I had no idea that your body does gain weight when my lovely friend arrives but thanks for everybody’s input I appreciate it☺️
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs is pretty typical for me, and I'm usually at least 1 lb lighter afterwards.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bribbyx74 wrote: »
    @Muscleflex79 OK first of all nobody said I was freaking out over half of pound I said it scares me a little bit because I didn’t know what caused it didn’t know my body fluctuated during my period I have no idea because this is my first time on a diet like I said in the beginning of this forum. And yeah maybe I do need to realize that that’s why I’m asking these questions so thanks for your input but next time don’t.

I’m so excited that you found mfp the very first time ever trying to lose weight!!!! Seriously, most people spend their lifetime yo-yoing on crash diets, and you are saving yourself years of misinformation and frustration! It’s like you won the lottery.

A couple things- people are very honest so take their advice as seasoned vets who have been through the ringer and know their *kitten*. You’ll have to put your big girl panties on and understand their comments will be incredibly helpful so take it seriously and don’t let your emotions and ego get the best of you. Believe me, they’re a wealth of knowledge. So basically don’t be me and learn the hard way. When they say weigh your food on a scale, don’t put it off a year, wonder why it’s not working, then buy one. Seriously, use their suggestions the first time, you’ll be incredibly glad you did.

Again, welcome! Prepare to change almost everything you thought you knew about dieting. It’s very enlightening