It’s a new day - I need to do this

Options
Oh how many days have I begun with “this is the day I’m going to start?” I honestly don’t know if I can count that high.

My family just booked a phenomenal vacation for Jamaica in August. That’s 5 months. I want to be able to do all the things with my 11 year old son. My weight (325) prevents me from doing so much.

5 months. I could make some great progress in that time. I have an established exercise program already. (Though it’s more rigorous when I can meet my trainer - that’s something else I need to improve.) It’s my eating that’s out of control.

Breakfast is easy. But it’s after that where things fall apart. I’m on the “see food” diet. My ability to say no is not well developed. It amazes me how I can be thinking - as im chewing - “this is a poor decision, this does not help you.”

I know a realistic goal is 1-2#/week. 21 weeks. So 21-40 pounds is possible. That would be an extraordinary start. I know my ultimate goal is to be around 160-165# but at this point I’d just like to be under 300#.

So here I am. I’m not good at goal setting. I’m not very reward-driven. And I loathe being “public” about weight loss/getting healthier.

But I’m also miserable and I love my son more than anything in this world. So here I am.

Replies

• Vgolding1
    Vgolding1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on your journey! You can do it.
  • broomykm
    broomykm Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Send a friend request if you would like, I am also “starting over “ today.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey,
    I am also in this "starting again, but not even trusting myself enough to say it" boat...
    In the past I have successfully lost and gained weight too...and I know that it's all excuses, but I feel like I am fighting against huge giant..
    I am 32, married, no kids..I used to love to walk, to dance, to try things...now, when living with a partner who doesn't like that kind of activities it's hard to balance between life in partnership and getting enough of movement.
    Maybe it's just an excuse, though...
    The other challenge is that we are in the middle of renovation, so at the moment we are staying either at my mother in low or at my parents. They are all really awesome, loving and caring, but I feel like I am constantly in the lack of my space in which I can grow my discipline, plus they really, really like to feed us..
    Most of the time I eat not for the pleasure, but because I don't wont them to feel rejected.
    I would like to gain back my discipline somehow, so I am kind of trying to start today...
  • nikkibainx
    nikkibainx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the 'starting again' club. You can do itttt!!
  • RedneckSister
    RedneckSister Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Starting over again today (for the umpteenth time) as well!

My physical body is fast approaching the half century mark but my mind is still languishing in its 30s. I walk (the dog), cycle and jog (on a cycle trainer and the treadmill since there is about 10 feet of snow where I live - rural BC, Canada); but my goal is to do all more consistently and with greater intensity. Since my body is naturally losing muscle mass, my goal also includes starting - and, more importantly, continuing - weight training.

I applaud you, bullwinkle72, for overcoming your barrier to being public - I share this. I have been on this site for years and have never gone public. I hope this helps you conquer your goals and I will be happy to support you in your journey...to Jamaica, you lucky girl.

daneejela, having a life partner who does not share your activities is hard; I share this struggle too. My goal is to concentrate on taking the time I need for me; which I know will be hard but also know will benefit both of us in the end. Good luck with your renovations too; we have been working on renovations for the past 7 months but living within the space as well.

Here is to all of you having a successful journey!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    I think half the battle is realising you don't have to say No to stuff altogether, I have enjoyed pizza, burgers, chocolate, fries, etc whilst I've lost weight, I don't eat them every day and I eat a lot more nutritious food than I used to, but I don't tell myself I can't have them, I plan them in.

With your start weight aiming for 1-1.5lb loss per week will still give you a relatively high calorie intake to lose on (based on an average height female you're looking at around 1750-2000 calories per day + a good portion of your exercise calories).

You can do this, if you want to and it's far less complicated than we often think it is!

• ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Remember to take one day at a time. I'm right there with you. I see my bad eating as bad habits. Stick to healthy food, portion sizes. You can do this!
  • amandastardust89
    amandastardust89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that you have lots of solid motivation to help you get on your way...and congrats on that Jamaica trip!

I started again recently as well...the reality of "no quick fixes" has set in. We just have to change our lifestyles. We're all in this together!