Traveling Abroad

Options
I am traveling abroad this summer, and I'm not sure what to do about MFP. I won't know the portion sizes on anything, and I'm not even sure if I should worry about it. It will suck because I will have done so well up until then.

Thanks!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You could just work on your intuitive eating skills.

Here are a few general tips:

- Have a big glass of water before each meal
    - Load up your plates with lots of low-calorie veggies
    - Eat slowly, listen to your body and try to stop when you're no longer hungry (not 'stuffed')
    - Bring a measuring tape and take your measurements every couple weeks to make sure you're doing well
    - Stay active

You could also dabble with intermittent fasting if that interests you. I find it much easier to control my calorie intake in a limited eating window.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I went to Dubai for 2 weeks, and I walked a ton, and I just decided to eat like I normally do, and I ended up maintaining my weight. I don't normally deal with weighing food or calorie counting, and more or less eyeball my food, and just eat smaller portions, but if you're walking a lot that helps.
  • Kida181
    Kida181 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For how long? If you're spending the whole summer somewhere, then maybe just do your best to approximate.
    If you're just going for a week or two or even three, I say enjoy your vacation and don't worry about it!
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I went to Europe a few summers ago and ate more than I could have ever imagined! We also walked around for like 9+ hours a day. I gained a few pounds, but not enough to worry about. I wish I had tracked how much I was eating (and drinking!) though. When I was travelling, I kept a journal of sorts with my travel buddy, so we'd spend a few minutes before bed or in the mornings just jotting down what we did that day- a lot of my entries were what I ate! Next time I travel I'm going to try to keep tracking as much as possible, and just overestimate the calories I'm eating.
  • chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kida181 wrote: »
    For how long? If you're spending the whole summer somewhere, then maybe just do your best to approximate.
    If you're just going for a week or two or even three, I say enjoy your vacation and don't worry about it!

I'll be there for a week. So I shouldn't worry about logging?
  • chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I went to Europe a few summers ago and ate more than I could have ever imagined! We also walked around for like 9+ hours a day. I gained a few pounds, but not enough to worry about. I wish I had tracked how much I was eating (and drinking!) though. When I was travelling, I kept a journal of sorts with my travel buddy, so we'd spend a few minutes before bed or in the mornings just jotting down what we did that day- a lot of my entries were what I ate! Next time I travel I'm going to try to keep tracking as much as possible, and just overestimate the calories I'm eating.

I know we will be walking quite a bit as well. That's a really fun idea for the journal! That would be good for me as well because I can never remember places for pictures either.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight on my last 4 abroad vacations without tracking. I walked a lot and ate about the same as usual (maybe a little less or a little more). I wore my FitBit and walked over 110 miles on my last trip. Go. Enjoy. Try to make wise choices. Beware that flying can cause some water retention and may take a week to come off, so don't be disappointed when you first get back.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    chelliz88 wrote: »
    Kida181 wrote: »

I'll be there for a week. So I shouldn't worry about logging?

Right :) Don't worry about logging. Do think about healthful food choices, and enjoy all your food whether you think it's healthful or not! When you get home, don't leap on the scale right away. I bet that a week after you get home, you'll be pretty close to what you weighed before you left.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i go to canada all the time. headed there this weekend. went to mexico last month.

i never sweat it, and never gain.

eat sensibly, be active, and enjoy.