snack/Meal ideas for 1400 calorie daily limit

Options
I am using the bodybugg and to lose 2 pounds per week, I am set on 1400 calories. Im searching for some meal and snack ideas to help me stay full longer and get through the day withouth being super hungry or snacky once I get off work. I sit at a desk all day doing tech support, but even then i get a little bit bored so I tend to pack a lot of snacks everyday (always fruit) but it always ends up being about 4-500 cals alone. I've been doing oatmeal w/ brown sugar for breakfast, a smart ones usually for lunch.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• flbutler
    flbutler Posts: 26
    Options
    try hard boiled eggs....100 calorie nuts, yogurt
  • kaitedid
    kaitedid Posts: 33
    Options
    Protein bars, apples and peanut butter, cheese sticks, and hummus with pretzel chips are my stand bys! It has helped a lot!

Good luck!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]6366809.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • bellamills
    bellamills Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How about hard candy? I got the Werther's Original candy. It is only 70 calories for 3. To me that is amazing! It really helps me keep my mind off of wanting to eat.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the SmartOnes. Most microwave meals are high in sodium and sugar, are either too high calorie or too low calorie. Try baking chicken breast ahead of time and then separating serving sizes into separate bags. You can do the same with rice (microwaves well if you add a little water for more moisture) and keep frozen veggies in your freezer at work. Carbs, lean protein, and veggies. Will keep you full. Try bringing some lean protein for your snacks too... string cheese or babybel cheeses with some fruit is great. Or try carrots with hummus or peanut butter, etc.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    100-calorie popcorn bags, I love these! Or mini rice cakes, especially the chocolate-mint, cheddar and apple cinnamon flavors.
    Never underestimate the power of carrot sticks, broccoli heads and cauliflower heads for snacking! Or a jell-o temptation/mousse. Lastly, a great snack you can never overdo is apples! One apple keeps you busy for awhile and is full of fiber.
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    My new favourites are the Luna Bars - almost any flavour but my fav this week is the chocolate pepermint ones:)
  • IrishCloud
    Options
    great idea.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Pitted dates are amazing.
    They are almost like chocolate.
    Try the Sunsweet Package.
    (Don't get chopped dates, they have added sugar).
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I make tupperware sandwiches: In a tupper bowl, I put one wedge of laughing cow, three slices of lunch meat, a couple leaves of romaine, and a sandwich thin bun. I assemble later, and it's a really satisfying 250~ calories. Plenty for lunch or as a snack
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    LOVE SF Jello! Daily snack! 5-10 calories & add a bit of Light Cool whip if your diet allows! Most Walmart stores sell a 12 pak for $2.50 - which is half the cost of Jello brand and it's half the calories... =)
  • TeacherAnge
    TeacherAnge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try hummus & a cut up red pepper as a snack. It usually runs me about 100 calories and takes a but of time to eat :)

Another 100 calorie snack option is an apple and a laughing cow light cheese.
  • Jvas423
    Jvas423 Posts: 6
    Options
    Whole wheat always works for me!

whole wheat bread / wraps / pasta / brown rice
    turkey / grilled chicken / yogurt / peanut butter / eggs / fish / fruits / veggies

and water water water.... :)
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I take a serving of cocoa almonds - 150 cal.
    1 c. carrots & 1 T. peanut butter - 145 cal (I think)
    cottage cheese and fruit - 130-150 cal.
    banana & yogurt - 200 cal.
    hard boiled egg & serving of fat free lunch meat - 130-150 cal.
  • beka2699
    beka2699 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel more satisfied if i get a assortment kinda like a lunchable. I take a whole cucumber and slice it up, a pc. of cheese, 7 slices of hillshire farm roast beef (70 calories) and some kind of dip. i switch around on dips to shack things up ! and have a cup of suger free jello. You have so much food it takes a while to eat, this is good low cal lunch.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Snacks:

One of my favorite snack combos is 6 triscuits (120), WW Mozzarella string cheese (50), 1/3 cup of blueberries (28), and 2/3 cup of strawberries (32) for a total of 230 calories. With the variety of textures and flavors plus the amount of food for the low calorie punch, it is very satisfying.

Other favorites: mini bag of popcorn (170 calories), bagel thin with cream cheese (180 calories), yogurt (100 calories), applesauce (70 calories), spinach salad with dressing and a crunchy topping like Bacos or tortilla chips (50 to 100 calories depending on the dressing), cottage cheese doubles with fruit (100 calories), cucumbers (20 calories), pickles (5 calories)

Meals:

Turkey or Chicken Tacos/Tostadas (212 to 221 depending on meat choice)

6 slices of turkey (45) or 2 oz shredded chicken (54)
    1/4 cup spinach, raw (2)
    1/6 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (40)
    1 wedge light Laughing Cow cheese (35)
    2 corn tortillas (80)
    2 Tbsp salsa (10)

Spread half of the Laughing Cow cheese wedge on each tortilla, top with 1/8 cup spinach, 1/2 of choice of meat, and sprinkle with 1/2 of cheese. Place in skillet or on griddle over medium-high heat. For tacos, cook until heated through, then fold and serve. For tostadas, cook until tortilla is crispy.

This is the base recipe that I have come up with. I usually serve with low-cal veggies like green beans, green/red/yellow peppers and onions, mushrooms, etc. I have played around with the recipe adding veggies to the top, and I love using World Table's Roasted Salsa Verde. I also often have a spinach salad as well.

My goal with each meal is to eat the largest volume of food for the lowest number of calories. If not high volume, then a wide variety of flavors and textures. I think the meals are the most satisfying that way.