Cholesterol issues???

Options
Joined this to get back into shape
5 years ago was 13st2 but fit athletic and ripped.
From the gym twice a day to not at all seen weight drop to 11stone after a year and now has creeped up over the past 4 years but now want to do something about it.
Have cut out sugar completely and now eat a high protein diet.
Only issue is every day I'm way over on my cholesterol with the eggs =/
When I was in my best body shape I was eating 8-10eggs a day.. But I do worry about the cholesterol if I was to continue this? I understand there are plenty other lean protein but are eggs and high cholesterol within tdiet really that bad?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor put you on a low cholesterol diet? If not, I wouldn’t worry about it. Dietary cholesterol has little effect on your numbers.
  • Kristianleeming90
    Kristianleeming90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They havnt so thanks was just a little worried.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Wait..wait! Do you even know what your cholesterol panel is!? You need to know where you stand from the beginning before you know where you are going.
    Get bloodwork done now.
    Eggs no longer is considered a high cholesterol causer. Just recently has been debunked.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol actually has huge impact on your body cholesterol. Our bodies already produce all the cholesterol we need on its own. If you’ve never had high cholesterol before and eaten this way it may not be a problem. However, I recommend getting your levels checked by your doctor. It’s a simple blood test and it’s always best to know as much as you can about your health.

Yeah, not. Dietary cholesterol has little impact on serum cholesterol unless one has hyperhcholesterolemia. Google the lipid hypothesis.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol does not usually cause blood cholesterol, the latter is caused by a fatty diet
    https://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/low-cholesterol-diets-and-foods/dietary-cholesterol
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I’ll admit that I had a 18 month spurt where I basically had eggs and bacon every day for breakfast (with veggies) My cholesterol stayed stable.

During that period it was 178 total, 74 HDL. Triglycerides were 81. My cholesterol was actually worse before I started this breakfast - weight was the same or higher when I added the bacon, eggs. I also started concentrating way harder on added sugar.

Now it is a little lower in my last test. I have lost weight though so it is probably related.

Make sure you are not having transfat - that is a much bigger issue than eggs (and shrimp). I also cook with olive, grape seed, and avocado oil mostly. I use coconut oil and reserved bacon fat sometimes. And recently added in grassfed ghee. No vegetable oil for me, and I stopped using canola.

My cholesterol started to get really good when I added in extra virgin olive oil as my default oil.
  • Kristianleeming90
    Kristianleeming90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight guys :):):)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol actually has huge impact on your body cholesterol. Our bodies already produce all the cholesterol we need on its own. If you’ve never had high cholesterol before and eaten this way it may not be a problem. However, I recommend getting your levels checked by your doctor. It’s a simple blood test and it’s always best to know as much as you can about your health.

dietary cholesterol has little to no bearing on blood serum cholesterol...it's one of the reasons that the FDA is dropping it from nutrition labels.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The biggest impact to cholesterol is losing weight and exercise. Things like fibrous foods, oily fish, lentils, oats and fibrous whole grains can improve it. But the latter is not as important as the former. I eat a lot of eggs and never saw an issue.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Why do you call a 20% impact HUGE?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I would get your doctor to test your serum (blood) cholesterol and then you'll know if how you're eating now suits your body. You won't really know for sure until you know the stats.

Dietary cholesterol may or may not have an impact on serum cholesterol, but unfortunately saturated fat does and cholesterol and saturated fat usually go hand-in-hand in real food with a few exceptions.