Will Power

Options
Hello all,

I have been saying I’ll start tomorrow for the last 2 years and finally have started but I cannot resist a cheeky drive through or takeaway.

Anyone got any tips to steer me away as I can’t manage it!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Food diary. Everything gets recorded and counted no matter what. If you can make it fit within your number go ahead.

The process separates the people involved in weight loss from people who just wish they weighed less.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Chrism2212 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have been saying I’ll start tomorrow for the last 2 years and finally have started but I cannot resist a cheeky drive through or takeaway.

Make it work.

I knew if I tried to cut things out completely I'd fail, so I worked on making things work instead. Sometimes I just accept that I'm going to have an off day and that's all right, so long as I don't slip back into the habit.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Just don't go through the drive through. Make food to take with you. If your going to have fast food, look for healthier options. Ect... My coach used to tell me this. Inspiration is fleet, motivation is short lived, determination draws on will power which is finite, but habits, that's the *kitten* that last.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    this worked for me
    1. first thing i did was sign up
    2. found a reason to do this. my health to me wasnt #1, wanting to see my neice and friends kids get married one day was (health has since moved up the ladder)
    3. bought a food scale
    4. logged the good food i was eating/didnt log the bad food
    5. started logging all the food
    6. saw the mess that was the bad food and went cold turkey (mcdonalds, burger king and wendys)
    7. bought a fitbit and incorporated that
    8. read a few books on weight training and proper dieting

it worked for the first 75-80lbs but am now stuck. but i am slowly adjusting my calorie count as well as how much cardio i do to try to get past that plataeu
  • hamobu
    hamobu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that help, but nothing is 100% full proof

* Get sleep to increase will power
    * Avoid temptation (e.g. don't drive by fast food places)
    * Reward yourself. Have small daily rewards (eg. if you don't cheat on a diet for a day) and a large rewards that you are working towards.
    * Punish yourself for bad behavior (e.g. if you eat fast food, donate $20 to political party you hate)
    * Use social pressure to your advantage. Promise to someone that you will not eat any fast food and keep them updated.
    * If you have installed any apps from fast food places, uninstall them. Throw away coupons, loyalty cards, gift cards, whatever.
    * Think of and repeat a mantra as often as you can. For example "if you eat S*T you become S*T"
    * Write down two long lists: ONe is of all the positive reasons you want to lose weight. Another one is of all the negative consequences if you fail to lose weight.
    * Make your own commercials and reminders and put them in places where you can see.
    * Sign up for a race or some sort of endurance event which will motivate you to stay in shape.

And so on.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Well... You either have what it takes, or not.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chrism2212 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I think a lot of it depends on personality - are you the kind of person who can recognize you're having a craving, honor that craving and get back on track the next meal? Or one meal, turns into two, turns into the whole week? I don't think punishing yourself or using negative tactics is particularly helpful or healthy. I'm of the mindset that I'll have the fast food if I truly want it. If I have a craving and (in the least sad way of putting it) has been on my mind a few days, I'll get it, enjoy and move forward. I fit it into my macros to the best of my ability and get back on track. For me completely eliminating it/putting it on the "no can have" list will only make me want it more - it's human nature.

If you really can't have it without it spiraling out of control, maybe look into recipes that create a more health conscious version. A lot of the times you'll find that the taste (while never the same) can be fairly comparable and the substitute ingredients typically allow you to have larger portions (keeping your calorie goal in mind of course).

Best of luck!
  • Brooklyn_Beast
    Brooklyn_Beast Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Everyone feel free to add me!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There two kinds of people - people who can have one chip / chocolate / etc. and stop, and those who can't. Figure out which one you are and either abstain entirely or figure out a way to moderate.

The calorie & exercise logs seem odious at first, but you get used to them and even rely on them to make good judgments.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's a slow learned process. A - not all food at the drive through is "bad" just make smart choices. Salad instead of fries go light on the dressing. Toss out the bun on the burger or just the top half of it. But best choice is planning - have a eating plan. I travel a lot during the day and have protein bars in the car ready to go for those craving when the burger is calling me. But if I know I will miss a normal meal I have a to go plan and pack the meal with me.
  • Chrism2212
    Chrism2212 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive tips all appreciate it!