Healthy versions of junk/high cal foods

Options
Anyone know any recipes like the cauliflower pizza which cut calories or make typical junk foods healthy or high cap things lower. What r gd substitutes that don't compromise flavour??

Replies

• smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Check out hungrygirl.com she always has amazing substitutions. She also has her own show. She is amazing!!
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    Try the Eat This Not That and Cook This Not That books. I love them, and they're inexpensive.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    Ok cool I'll check them out thanks :)
  • HazelGal
    HazelGal Posts: 12
    Options
    I make ice cream sandwiches with graham crackers and whipped cream and a lasgana with tomatoes and spinach =) No meat or use lean turkey burger. Also margarita pizza and really anything with in moderation. I love 45 calorie bread too! Less than a hundred calories and I get my sandwiches and toast =D
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've been making eggplant fries lately. They are so delicious. I got this recipe from the message boards.

Cut an eggplant (don't peel it) into french-fry size pieces. Dip into one scrambled egg and then into 1/3 cup whole-wheat seasoned breadcrumbs (I add crushed red pepper for spicy).

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes on each side. Last night I used parchment paper for the very first time and I am in love. Even though cooking spray is "fat-free", it's really pure oil and adds calories. Parchment paper works the same for zero calories.

Once you have those crispy, golden fries piled on your plate, sprinkle a little salt on there and then dip in your favorite low-cal sauce.

You won't be disappointed!
  • tiggerzshorty
    Options
    Dr.Oz Has this on one his site. It's soo good. My 4 yr old loves it.

Ingredients
    1 cup cauliflower, grated
    1/2 cup shredded light mozarella cheese
    1 egg
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp basil
    2 tsp parsley
    1/2 tsp fennel
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 tomato
    Garlic powder, to taste

Directions
    Chop pepper, onion and tomato. Set aside. Steam the cauliflower, let it cool and then grate it.

Combine grated cauliflower with the mozzarella and egg in a large bowl. Spray a circular or rectangular metal pan with cooking spray before spreading the dough evenly. Sprinkle the dough with fennel, oregano, parsley and basil. Add garlic powder.

Bake at 450° F for 12-15 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven and sprinkle chopped green pepper, onion and tomato, as well as the remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Return the pizza to the oven. Turn the heat up to broil and leave in until the cheese has melted and the crust is crispy.
  • rosefish225
    Options
    The eggplant fries sound so good! I'm going to have to buy an eggplant when I go grocery shopping this weekend. Going to try the pizza too!
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Fake French Fries: Cut turnip into slices, coat olive oil on a piece of tin foil. Place the turnip pieces on the foil. Sprinkle with lemon pepper, bend the foil over the fries leaving it open at the top a bit. Throw on BBQ. Um.....only 36 calories for a cup of turnips and it's almost the same, I can't tell the difference. Tastes like potatoes.

Fake Mashed Potatoes: Boil 1/2 califlower and one small potato, mash. Add salt and pepper.

Fake sour cream. Get 0 percent yougert. Squeeze a little lemon and or vinigar into it. Very similar.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! definitly going to have to try those fries sometime soon :)
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I want to read all of the responses!!