Losing weight after turning 55

Options
uzma61
uzma61 Posts: 5 Member
Losing weght after a certain age become very difficult . Espcialy with a busy life style where you have not. Enough time to go for grocery and make your meals.

Replies

• DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. I don't always do well. I work rotating 12 hr shifts and I have to really force myself to plan and shop.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and it is difficult you have to fill the house with healthy easy to fix things that are going to help you get to your goal . and avoid being around the hard to resist triggers for over eating
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    No more difficult than at any other age really... :) The same principles of eating less calories than you burn still work, it's just that as we age we may need slightly less calories than a younger person of the same weight.
  • DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    Options
    You can't change your whole life but maybe you can make small changes. I am an emotional eater and I used to be able to eat a whole large bag of chips a night. Now I eat fruit. Sometimes I slip up. Last night I ate pistachios, which are a weakness for me. I only ate 1/2 cup , though, instead of 2 cups. It's been baby steps for me. I still have a lot of changes to make, like takeout chicken. It took me 10 months to lose 40 lbs., but I did manage to do that.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    59 and counting... I try not to buy junk food, and fill the cart with lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Always keep eggs handy for fast easy meals. You can buy lots of prepared healthy food for faster easier meals. I tend to cook one large crockpot meal each week, that will leave us leftovers for another couple of meals. I find eating homemade meals can be nearly as quick as stopping for fast food, and definitely cheaper and healthier. :smiley:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    I lost 50+ pounds at 59-60 in less than a year. I don't think it's harder for us than for others, like people with toddlers, careers in the intense early stages, etc. It's not easy for anyone . . . but it's also achievable and worthwhile.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I lost 53 lbs. when I started my weight loss journey at the age of 55. It was actually EASIER for me to lose weight than it was for me when I was in my 20's/30's/40's. Your metabolism doesn't change as you get older. That's just a myth. Older people tend to gain weight as they age due to being less active. The biggest change for me was "clean eating". Once you start eating clean and eat as few processed foods as possible, you won't crave junk food. I was never a huge fan of food like ice cream, chocolate or chips, foods that most people have a difficult time staying away from or eating in moderation so that definitely helps. I went from a sedentary lifestyle of over 30 years to a competitive powerlifter in 2 years so anything can happen