Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hey FitPals,

I know that there probably is a thread on this topic, but was hoping for some real life, current advice and experience regarding intermittent fasting.

I'm giving it a shot today, to add on to my already successful weight loss journey.

Let me know what you got.

Replies

• Tami_in_Idaho
    Tami_in_Idaho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you doing Keto? I started Keto Feb 1st and have just begun intermittent fasting along with it. I have only made it to 18 hrs so far, but am working up to 24 hours and see where it goes from there. I have seen a lot of great results from others who are doing intermittent fasting and my doctor is all for it (she does it and Keto as well).
  • SanguineAllure
    SanguineAllure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just came across what intermittent fasting is and never realized I've been doing it the past six months. It's helped me keep on track with eating, making sure I eat properly and cut off when I eat. It also has helped give me more of a set schedule. I've managed to lose about 50lbs since doing this with my new lifestyle changes~! Just make sure you feed your body properly and read up on the pros and cons, and ease into it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    1. It's not magic. Don't expect much from it beyond what a calorie deficit can offer. It's just a way to arrange your calories to make dieting easier.
    2. It can take a little bit of getting used to. I'm all for not making things harder for dieting, but sometimes it gets a bit hard before it gets easier. Give it a week or two.
    3. If your current weight loss strategy is working for you and feels easy, no need to change what is working. If you're simply curious, try it out and discard it if it doesn't turn out easier than your current method.
    4. If after a couple of weeks it still feels stressful or you find yourself overeating, under eating, constantly tired, or experience loss of control over your intake, then this is not for you. Don't stubbornly white knuckle it when there are easier ways.
    5. Black coffee is a lifesaver on fasted mornings.
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Are you doing Keto? I started Keto Feb 1st and have just begun intermittent fasting along with it. I have only made it to 18 hrs so far, but am working up to 24 hours and see where it goes from there. I have seen a lot of great results from others who are doing intermittent fasting and my doctor is all for it (she does it and Keto as well).

I am not doing keto, just logging and training. I'm going to try and fast 16hrs/day, while still eating my avg 750-1000 daily caloric deficit.
  • gauravmi5
    gauravmi5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    True!!
    It's been 4 months on Intermittent Fasting- Way of living !
    1. Its tough, but then things eases out with practice and perseverance.
    2. For me it is war against Craving.
    3. Nowadays I wait for my Fast Day. Moving towards agility.
    4. We used to have goals for life. I have taken it as goal for week.
    5. Black coffee is gamechanger, lifesaver @amusedmonkey 5.
    6. I keep my fast a Sugar free day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Since I just posted this in yet another IF thread:

IF is simply what time of the day you eat - there's nothing magical, powerful or life-changing about it. If you enjoy eating on such a schedule and it provides better satiety for you, there's no reason you can't do it indefinitely/forever.

I've eaten on more or less a 16/8 pattern for years. It's just how I like to eat - I'm not that hungry in the morning and like having a lot of calories for dinner time. I did it before IF was all the current fad, and will probably still be doing it after the fad fades and people are on to the next trendy diet thing. I don't ascribe any wizardry to it and I don't stick to it like a religion - if I'm hungry outside of those hours on any particular day for any particular reason, I eat. If I'm not, I don't.

You can gain, lose or maintain weight doing IF. It all comes down to how many calories you're eating, not what time of the day you're eating them.