Meeting calories and losing weight and cutting calories ???

Options
Thiswomanisonamission
Thiswomanisonamission Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2018 in Food and Nutrition
borrrpd5274q.jpeg
I’m just going to share an image of my diary. I train with a polar loop and heart rate monitor and burned 1,182 calories my goal is 1,900 for food should I eat back my exercise calories or leave it as it is I want to lose 2lbs a week I’m 5’9” and 246lbs

Replies

• Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was possible to burn over 1000 calories in a single day! Impressive! Maybe bigger people eat more and burn more? I'm 5'2 and 135 lbs and I struggle to burn off over 300 calories a day but I only eat between 800-1300.

FIRST: I am not a doctor, please seek the advice of a doctor or trained nutritionist to determine how many calories you need to aim for!

If you want to lose weight, don't eat back ALL your exercise calories, but you're going to have to eat back some or you're going to crash (as in pass out from low blood sugar and/or waste muscle) because if you're exercising off 1184 calories and eating 1882 that's only leaving you with 698 calories in a day for basic life functionality, and that's really too low to sustain life other than an occasional hard fast day. At 5"9" and 246, you're probably going to need to leave closer to 1500 after exercise, but this is a number you should talk to your doctor about to form a good target calorie number. I would think it would be smart to "eat back up" to 1000 at least, so for this day in particular, that would be eating another 302-802 calories before calling it a day. So just take your Exercise calories, and subtract those from your Food calories. If the balance is less than 1000, definitely eat something, and consider eating something if it's under 1500 (and for sure ask your doctor and they can give you a good number to aim for here, I'm just tossing out something reasonable). Of course MFP is still going to give you the canned warning that you're not eating enough when you log your diary, but I've personally found it's impossible to "eat enough" according to MFP and lose weight.

Can I know what you did this day for exercise? I'd love to know how you burned that many calories!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Phaewryn wrote: »
    I didn't know it was possible to burn over 1000 calories in a single day! Impressive! Maybe bigger people eat more and burn more? I'm 5'2 and 135 lbs and I struggle to burn off over 300 calories a day but I only eat between 800-1300.

FIRST: I am not a doctor, please seek the advice of a doctor or trained nutritionist to determine how many calories you need to aim for!

If you want to lose weight, don't eat back ALL your exercise calories, but you're going to have to eat back some or you're going to crash (as in pass out from low blood sugar and/or waste muscle) because if you're exercising off 1184 calories and eating 1882 that's only leaving you with 698 calories in a day for basic life functionality, and that's really too low to sustain life other than an occasional hard fast day. At 5"9" and 246, you're probably going to need to leave closer to 1500 after exercise, but this is a number you should talk to your doctor about to form a good target calorie number. I would think it would be smart to "eat back up" to 1000 at least, so for this day in particular, that would be eating another 302-802 calories before calling it a day. So just take your Exercise calories, and subtract those from your Food calories. If the balance is less than 1000, definitely eat something, and consider eating something if it's under 1500 (and for sure ask your doctor and they can give you a good number to aim for here, I'm just tossing out something reasonable). Of course MFP is still going to give you the canned warning that you're not eating enough when you log your diary, but I've personally found it's impossible to "eat enough" according to MFP and lose weight.

Can I know what you did this day for exercise? I'd love to know how you burned that many calories!

If OP gets her calorie goal from MFP, the deficit is already built in. Assuming her exercise calories are estimated correctly, she can eat them all back and lose weight.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    karafa95 wrote: »
    borrrpd5274q.jpeg
    I’m just going to share an image of my diary. I train with a polar loop and heart rate monitor and burned 1,182 calories my goal is 1,900 for food should I eat back my exercise calories or leave it as it is I want to lose 2lbs a week I’m 5’9” and 246lbs

Your deficit is already built into your calorie target to lose weight...if you in fact burned 1,184 calories and have eaten 1,882 calories, this would be the same thing as just eating 698 calories...how healthy does that sound?

What are you doing that's burning 1,184 calories? I'd have to ride about 30-40 miles to do that...definitely not an everyday thing. A HRM can give you a reasonable estimate for steady state cardio...but the further you get from that the more worthless the estimate is with a HRM.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    [

If OP gets her calorie goal from MFP, the deficit is already built in. Assuming her exercise calories are estimated correctly, she can eat them all back and lose weight.

I have not found that to be true in my case. I think people's results may vary depending on how strong or weak their metabolism system is. Mine is very poor.

Have you had your RMR tested and evaluated to see what it is, or do you just think it's poor because you typically restrict to a very low level, and thus you interpret any glycogen replenishment or food or water weight as a true weight increase?

Looking at your diary, you restrict very low. So you likely have no idea what your true metabolism is, or if this low restriction has affected it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

That's quite an exercise burn! What did you do? The way MFP is designed, you eat back your exercise calories. HRMs can be a little generous if what you were doing isn't steady state cardio, but I would still eat back some. If you find you are losing more or less than that 2 lbs per week over time, adjust how many of your exercise cals you eat back accordingly.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I burned 1200 yesterday. Combination of a 10K run, an 8K bike ride and general activity. Actually, my activity was a negative 100. What I get for watching Nascar in the afternoon LOL.

So, OP. What did you do to get the 1,184 burn?

I ate some of them and am saving some for later this week.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

d2sorfnpj20n.png
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    Oh it's possible. Working in a warehouse lifting heavy cases and walking all day.
  • Phaewryn
    Options

Have you had your RMR tested and evaluated to see what it is, or do you just think it's poor because you typically restrict to a very low level, and thus you interpret any glycogen replenishment or food or water weight as a true weight increase?

Looking at your diary, you restrict very low. So you likely have no idea what your true metabolism is, or if this low restriction has affected it.

Please don't go by what happened yesterday and day before in my diary - first two days of period are days I just can't cope with anything correctly and standing long enough to make food is torture, I know I didn't eat enough, but I also know I couldn't move all day - existing was agony. My metabolism was changed as a side-effect of prescription medications. I have had a very hard time keeping my weight managed since I was on Risperidal (and a couple of other psychiatric medications known to cause significant irreversible weight gain, I was on many trying to find "the right one") in 2011. My health insurance doesn't cover metabolic testing unless someone is obese according the the BMI scale, and I manage to stay (through no small effort, as you noted) just inside the top edge of "normal" on the BMI. At my height (5' 2"), 136lbs is the upper limit of "normal" and 137lbs is "overweight". I work very hard to stay under 137lbs. If I went by what MFP told me, I'd keep putting on weight endlessly (my ability to exercise is limited by fibromyalgia which causes sometimes impossible pain and fatigue). I use MFP as a guideline for getting my protein/carb/fat balance in line and to track nutrients more than for it's calorie counting recommendations. As you can imagine, with the calories I can allow myself on days I can't exercise, I have to be very careful about the balance. MFP's calorie counting is very helpful, their recommendations, meh, not so much for me personally. For the record, I am under the care of a doctor who does not feel my calorie restriction is harmful FOR ME. She has seen me put on weight when eating a "normal" amount of calories, and feels that the means to an end is simply whatever is necessary to stay in a healthy BMI. We've discussed that the medications I was on probably did their damage. I was *strongly warned* of the potential side effect of "permanent irreversible weight gain" before I started the medications. At the time, I was just desperate to get my mental illness under control before it killed me. Sacrifices and choices, I'm living with them. The good news: I'm no longer on those medications and my mental illness is well-controlled on much less damaging medications these days thanks to finally getting a correct diagnosis! Plus, my fibromyalgia is also pretty good right now (the pain is actually very tolerable), which is why I'm back here after a long "away" period where there wasn't much point in tracking because I couldn't do anything about it anyway (I eat pretty healthy so unless I'm throwing exercise into the mix that I need to be careful to eat enough for, I generally don't find it necessary to track things).

Everyone is an individual and results vary. I totally agree that the original poster needs to eat back a significant amount of calories IF their exercise is tracking correctly... but I suspect their exercise tracking is inaccurate. I know as someone who is much smaller than the original poster, and someone with a slow metabolism, even *I* feel weak if I net less than 1000 calories a day, which is why I recommended they eat back up to AT LEAST that number, and suggested they may need more than that and to ask their doctor for a personalized recommendation.

• Phaewryn
    Options
    Oh it's possible. Working in a warehouse lifting heavy cases and walking all day.

Ah! I remember those days! I'm sure I did burn that many back when I worked. I was thinking the OP's calories burnt were from an exercise routine, not from a day's hard work. I'd sure like to know that exercise routine, since my body can't handle days of factory work anymore.
  • jefamer2017
    Options

Ah! I remember those days! I'm sure I did burn that many back when I worked. I was thinking the OP's calories burnt were from an exercise routine, not from a day's hard work. I'd sure like to know that exercise routine, since my body can't handle days of factory work anymore.

The OP doesn't say. My profile shows 2 thousand from exercise. It's not exercise it's fitbit steps.
  • Thiswomanisonamission
    Thiswomanisonamission Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

That's quite an exercise burn! What did you do? The way MFP is designed, you eat back your exercise calories. HRMs can be a little generous if what you were doing isn't steady state cardio, but I would still eat back some. If you find you are losing more or less than that 2 lbs per week over time, adjust how many of your exercise cals you eat back accordingly.

I burned 1200 yesterday. Combination of a 10K run, an 8K bike ride and general activity. Actually, my activity was a negative 100. What I get for watching Nascar in the afternoon LOL.

So, OP. What did you do to get the 1,184 burn?

I ate some of them and am saving some for later this week.

hey sorry totally didn't see people replied, more than sure my heart rate monitor is indeed correct because i do have my bad days and only burn 300-400cals in the gym and my polar strap on monitor gets it. Wrist monitors are the ones that are only good for steady state cardio, a chest strap on is great for HIIT or circut training.

I think the difference is 1) I weigh a lot but I train like I do not. 2) my heart rate and sweat levels will rise pretty easily with the right balance of lifting and HIIT.

I think that was one of my leg days so it probably would have been an Ashley horner trainer or an Annabelle hayes workout but i like to do burpees, jumping jacks, or plank shoulder taps in-between sets to pump my heart rate. I don't take a *kitten* ton of breaks just to do so I break because i need it but i'm not the person sitting on my phone.

Todays leg workout is as follows

Deep stretching & yoga
    Warm up 15mins arc trainer
    5min stair master
    bodyweight squats/lunges/glute bridges

Leg day
    3 x 20 leg press
    2 x 10 single leg side leg press
    Elevated mountain climbers 50total
    3 x 25 dumbell deadlifts with 20lbs and 25lbs and 30lbs
    spider-man crunches 20 each side
    6 x 8 slow sumo deadlifts
    15 jump squats
    hack squat 3 x 15
    15 jump squats
    hip abductors low weight concentrated 50reps
    hip abductors 200lbs 3 x 15
    Mountain climbers 26
    elevated shoulder hip thrust 4 x 15
    back extension 4 x 20
    kettle bell swings 3 rounds 30 seconds
    kettle bell squat pulses
    banded clam shell burnouts

this workout took me 2 hours and like 15mins but why the hell not i'm on spring break and was blowing off steam. this is kinda normal for me but shortened to an 1:30 workout. No i'm not an expert but i enjoy fitness i take days off, i hate cardio machines, and without the gym i'd lose my mind. i didn't have my heart rate monitor so i have no clue what the cal burn was.

I've attached my polar flow training chart from a random day a couple weeks ago below.

kss1pdbzrpbz.png

and i did end up having a protein shake that night i posted, figured out can't build a butt on 600cals. :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Heart rate is not a good proxy for calorie burn unless it's a steady exercise with a known movement pattern (walking, running...etc) regardless of the type of the heart rate sensor. Even then, some factors can affect accuracy like your personal heart rate range, temperature, coffee, stress or sickness, the female cycle...etc. I would be cautious about eating back all of these calories. What you could do is eat back half for a while, see how your weight loss is doing, and if you are consistently losing faster than 2lbs a week eat back more of your exercise calories until you are losing roughly 2lbs a week, not much lower or much higher. Note the level that helps you achieve that (50%, 80%, 100%...etc) and continue eating back that percentage from then on.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

d2sorfnpj20n.png

I've walked 25,000 steps and only burned around 750 calories according to the app I use (pacer) which seems reasonably accurate. I know my tiny 95 pounds would account for some of that difference. No fair. More food would be awesome.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    From your description your exercise calories are over-stated.
    Wrist monitors are the ones that are only good for steady state cardio, a chest strap on is great for HIIT or circuit training.
    Sorry that isn't true at all - the difference between wrist and chest pickups is only accuracy in recording your HR.
    But HR has little to do with actual calories burns for interval training or circuit training.

I managed to calibrate my HRM to virtually match a very accurate power meter for steady state cardio but it would diverge by up to 33% for intense interval training.

Sweating is also an indication of overheating and not calorie burns.

Yes you need to be accounting for your exercise burns as I'm sure your exercise is burning a significant amount but you need to use appropriate tools to get those estimates.