Soda Addiction

Options
Hi guys! This is my first post. For the past 10 months (Since I started my new office job) I've noticed a significant weight gain. I haven't had any diet change except the amount of Dr.Pepper and Starbucks I consume. Every day I drink between 88 fl oz. and 100 fl oz. of Dr.Pepper and a Venti Caramel Frappachino. I guess I am naive because I did not realize how many calories I was actually consuming until I did the math a few minutes ago. I decided to quit cold turkey. I'm assuming my weight gain came from this. My question is will I lose the weight if I stop drinking these things? (I know that is probably a silly question because there are a lot of factors in weight loss) I've just freaked myself out with the amount of calories I've been consuming because of these two drinks.

Replies

• SkinnyMindStarve
    SkinnyMindStarve Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you always drink those things then yes you will lose weight.
    You lose weight when you take in fewer calories.

Try drinking more water.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    If stopping these high calorie drinks and replacing with water - or any low calorie drink for that matter - brings your daily In calories to less than your daily OUT calories - then, Yes, you will lose weight.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It appears 20 fl oz of Dr. Pepper has 250 calories and there are 510 calories in a venti caramel frappuccino, which is 24 fl oz.

So if my math is correct you were drinking 24 ounces of frappuccino and betweeen 64-76 ounces of Dr. Pepper, totaling between 1,310-1,460 calories a day in addition to your regular meals?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I’d add black coffee in to stave off caffeine withdrawal headaches. I’ve taken it like a medicine (no real enjoyment for me without the milk and sugar) and then cut back on it over a couple of weeks. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you keep your other meals consistent, you will lose weight, and lucky you for having such an easy and obvious fix! Sub water, black coffee (I agree with the point about caffeine, although I adore black coffee and can easily overdo it), maybe plain teas, diet soda if you enjoy it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mkkb2018 wrote: »
    Hi guys! This is my first post. For the past 10 months (Since I started my new office job) I've noticed a significant weight gain. I haven't had any diet change except the amount of Dr.Pepper and Starbucks I consume. Every day I drink between 88 fl oz. and 100 fl oz. of Dr.Pepper and a Venti Caramel Frappachino. I guess I am naive because I did not realize how many calories I was actually consuming until I did the math a few minutes ago. I decided to quit cold turkey. I'm assuming my weight gain came from this. My question is will I lose the weight if I stop drinking these things? (I know that is probably a silly question because there are a lot of factors in weight loss) I've just freaked myself out with the amount of calories I've been consuming because of these two drinks.

SO yes, the calories matter. But you've also apparently changed your lifestyle. Which will also contribute to weight gain or loss.
  • mkkb2018
    mkkb2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Doing the math and realizing that I'm taking in close to 1500 empty calories was eyeopening! Day one without soda and Starbucks!
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can have black coffee or cold brew... without anything added they have 5 calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet in the last 3 years to the point that I really have forgotten what regular taste like. Mt dew code red was my drink of choice.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    You dont have to have black coffee if you dont like it - a cup of coffee with milk, say, 25 ml, is really not many calories - just dont add cream, sugar etc.

Use Equal or similar if you need sweeteners.

or have one cup the way you really like it but less frequently and/or smaller size and make it fit.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yes, cutting those out will definitely help with weight loss. If you want something with flavor to drink, try some hot tea or water infused with fruit.