Help me understand the step calorie adjustment function.

Options
My steps are tracked using my iPhone. In my latest digest, is it saying I only burned 25 calories for the 35,000+ steps I took during the week? Am I supposed to convert the steps to minutes or miles walked as a separate entry under cardio exercise? If so, how? I found this conversion table online. Do you think it’s accurate? I am confused.

5ohq5uogi47p.jpeg

39m9stq7mjn0.png

Replies

• JennLH81
    JennLH81 Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are you earning calories for separate exercise logged that includes those steps? I know when I run it subtracts my step calories, but adds my run calories if that makes sense!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    No, what it's saying is that your weekly step goal was 35000 calories(which was already accounted for in your diary elsewhere)

The 25 calories corresponds to the 329 steps you went above and beyond.
  • umbaba
    umbaba Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No, my steps don’t show up anywhere else unless I manually add them as a walking cardio exercise. Is that a glitch or do I have to turn something on somewhere so that it will start adding walk calories like jennLH81’s run calories? I don’t mind adding them manually, but worry that the table I am using isn’t accurate.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    umbaba wrote: »
    No, my steps don’t show up anywhere else unless I manually add them as a walking cardio exercise. Is that a glitch or do I have to turn something on somewhere so that it will start adding walk calories like jennLH81’s run calories? I don’t mind adding them manually, but worry that the table I am using isn’t accurate.

They show up in your daily calorie allowance(which doesn't start at 0)

If you look at the bottom of your daily diary, you'll see your step adjustment.

If you look at the top(if you have negative adjustments on) you'll see them in the third place.

Daily-Food+/-activity=remainder
    2660-2765+500=395
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Can you share a screenshot of your diary?

My Apple watch doesn't carry over information into MFP accurately, and I think it's really an MFP issue. My total calories burned per my Apple watch matches what my Fitbit would report, but MFP is off by hundreds of calories.

~Lyssa
  • umbaba
    Options
    xr6xkcywboef.png

This is how it was looking. I’m baffled and I think it’s a glitch. I found a work around by downloading the Pacer app which also draws number of steps from my iPhone, but converts them to calories burned based on my age, height and weight. They are now showing up properly.
  • umbaba
    Options
    This is how it looks now that I’ve added the Pacer app.
  • umbaba
    Options
    lq4ipkijazzg.png
  • stanmann571
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you tap the Apple step adjustment 6228. and then tap the resulting bar you should get a display that breaks down why Apple and MFP gave you 0.

rtr38vtbxyhw.jpeg
    xp4x7rcaa1fk.png

in other words, apple and MFP don't agree regarding how many calories a step is worth...

also, If you look at the 10000 step day(Monday) You will probably see a positive adjustment.

• umbaba
    Options
    I did as you suggested, but it didn’t give me the same info it gave you. Clicking the learn more button led me to a general FAQ page.

at9tjvzdgf9c.png
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You can click the Calorie Adjustment. It will take you to another page with the math on it.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    umbaba wrote: »
    I did as you suggested, but it didn’t give me the same info it gave you. Clicking the learn more button led me to a general FAQ page.

at9tjvzdgf9c.png

What that’s saying. As I read it is that Apple is only passing steps and not a corresponding calorie count. Or that the passed calories are not yet sufficient for a positive adjustment
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    OP - what is your activity level set to in MFP?

You don't want to count 100% of steps as cardio exercise because even sedentary people take steps. Ideally you want to count only the steps above (and beyond) your stated activity level.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

This is how a synced device is supposed to work.
  • lucyl442
    lucyl442 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’m not understanding this either. Sometimes I walk 18,000 steps and mfp says that is 0 calories which doesn’t make any sense..

I’m did umbaba way of using pacer as the step tracker and now it is showing the calories burned.
  • aamy_elizabeth
    aamy_elizabeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My question is how come mapmyfitness is saying during my 1.00 walk with 2.5k steps I burned 179 calories. But mfp says my 3,445 steps is only giving me 29 extra calories. Also how come mapmyfitness is saying I walked 5,938 steps altogether but mfp only says 3,445. Is it not counting my workout steps? Sorry if that sounds confusing. :/