Scale vs. No Scale

Options
Okay, so I don't own a scale, never really like them. I weighed myself at a friends house a few weeks before joining MFP and eating right and working out daily. I've been at for about 2 1/2 weeks now and I feel great and know I'm doing right by myself, but I'm not seeing the results yet (I understand it's still early). On the other hand, I'm guessing I've dropped at least a pound or two (maybe more?). So, my question - should i go out and invest in a scale? Or should I wait and keep motivating myself without knowing the numbers. I guess I'm just worried I need to adjust something (calories or exercise) and won't know I'm not loosing without a scale. But I'm afraid not seeing the numbers come down fast enough will discourage me. Any advice?

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Food scale, body scale, and tape measure.
  • kaalin
    kaalin Posts: 9
    Options
    I would. It helps keep you motivated and accountable. Weigh yourself weekly to track your progress. Just remember to weigh yourself at the same time of the day as your weigh can fluxuate. And dont get discouraged if it jumps up 1 or 2 lbs. Salty foods and pms can bloat you.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If you don't want a scale, don't get a scale :). You may want to try measuring various body circumferences instead, and going by how your clothes fit.

I do weigh in regularly, but I also measure on the 15th and the last day of the month--any more frequently and it's hard to see progress. I measure my neck, biceps (both arms), waist, hips, and thighs.
  • kaalin
    kaalin Posts: 9
    Options
    Yes I definately agree... Get your measurements now. Sometimes the scale wont change but you will see big difference in inches. :)
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes this process the least painful for you. If you don't like a scale, just invest in a tape measure. The tape measure is a great motivator... that way you don't get disappointed when you are gaining muscle, since that shows as a loss in inches.
  • maygs
    maygs Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I say invest in a few different things a measuring tape to make sure you know how many inches you have lost, a weight scale just don't do what I do and weigh yourself daily(lol), and a food scale. In the end you will realize those three things are well worth it when you see real results. Good luck!
  • bella0730
    bella0730 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would def recommend a scale. And you can weigh yourself as often as you would like. I know some people think it fluctuates too much weekly so they will weigh every 2 weeks or once a month. But dont get discouraged a loss is a loss no matter what it is! And you dont want to lose more than 1-2lbs/wk because its not healthy although I always lose more the first week and then taper off. Good luck! The numbers might surprise you and motivate you even more!
  • tallicedlatte
    tallicedlatte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale... I'm with you, I never really like them. More of a love/hate relationship. If I have one I can't resist getting on and checking my weight. If I like the number, ironically I feel like its okay to eat more. If I dont like the number, then I get depressed. So right now I don't have a scale, I just weigh now and then at friends houses. But I do have a measuring tape. I've used the measuring tape and the scale twice each since starting the journey, but I've logged my food also. With those three resources I think I've been doing okay. Good luck whichever route you take.