Weight gain and Polycystic ovary syndrome

Options
Hi!

I have just been diagnosed with Poly cystic ovary syndrome and I am super scared about my health. I have been gradually gaining weight over the past 3 years but in the last year I have gained 50 lbs. I have been trying everything under the sun to lose the weight and nothing was working. So now I am working with my medical doctors to play "games" with my body to see if we can get some weight off . They told me about this site and I LOVE IT!

Does anyone else have PCOS and is having trouble losing weight and give me some pointers?

Replies

• chittyrose
    chittyrose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh geez! I didn't know that picture would show up!:sad:
  • pandora81
    Options
    i know that if you have the troublesome ovary(ies) removed it helps..(you may not wanna do this is you dont have to, or if you still wanna try and have kids) also try metformin I believe it's called?
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. It does make weight loss harder...

Did your doctors offer metformin, perhaps? That helps with insulin resistance, which helps with weight loss. The other big thing that helps with insulin resistance is...EXERCISE.

You should also eat low glycemic foods, meaning a lower carb diet. Try staying under 100g of carbs a day and bulking up on protein instead.
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well I can't say much I have a very mild case, and my doc put me on metformin, yes it is a diabetes medication but my doc told me it can help with weight loss for pcos. I can tell you I don't know if it really helps me loose but I do feel that it stops my body from gaining so quickly. I am sure your doc will come up with something that works for you.

It is tough but this site has given me a lot of inspiration, and encouragement, all you have to do is follow the site and get in some exercise and let your doc figure out what meds will take care of the pcos.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I know it is tough I have dealt with being heavy my whole life but there are a lot of great people here and some awesome challenge groups to keep you motivated.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Most pcos women including myself find that following a low carb diet is the most successful.

May I direct you to www.soulcysters.net

A large community of women with pcos... It's a very helpful website full of information
  • chittyrose
    Options
    I have been put on Metformin about a month ago but have seen any changes yet. Surgery....didn't realize that was option.
  • chittyrose
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    I have it. It causes insulin resistance which screws up your blood sugar and it does cause you to gain weight. I ended up having WLS (lap band) and it's helping quite a bit. Really, there isn't much you can do from my own experience. I hope that someone else has a more positive experience for you to read about. The docs can put you on glucophage (Metformin) to help regulate your insulin/blood sugar levels which should help. High fiber, low sugar diets, exercise 30 minutes a day/7 days a week (YES 7 days a week if you can). Those suggestions are from the WebMD page on PCOS.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Surgery is extreme for pcos and will often times not help because the reasons why the ovaries are cystic is because of the hormone imbalance and insulin resistance.

There is a surgery known as ovarian drilling which helps relese the hormones in the ovaries and can improve fertility and help with weight loss. I just had this done.
  • kimmer070467
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 12... they put me on birth control pills and spironolactone which helped control it as best it could. Tried the metformin but it didn't help me much
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in February. I was heart broken....I am trying to treat without medicine...and so far the best thing that works for me is eating like I have diabetes. I am eating more whole grain, more fruits, more veggies, and less sugar. It's tough...and but I can honestly say that most days I truly feel better (if I am eating right)
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in January, and am on the highest dose of Metformin to regulate my blood sugar...as I WAS borderline diabetic. Proud to say with diet, exercise, metformin and pure dedication it IS possible to lose weight :) Best of luck!
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've had issues since I was a 12-year-old. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14, had a huge dermoid cyst the size of a basketball removed at 16 and at least a handful of other cysts removed from my ovaries until I was 22 and was forced to get a hysterectomy. I tried Metformin, almost all of the birth controls out there and nothing worked.

I used my PCOS as a crutch and felt bad for myself. When you have pity on yourself (at least in my case) it makes it a lot easier to eat and not workout because you feel you deserve some sort of happiness in your life. My advice? It's hard but don't let it get you down or use it as a crutch (not saying you are) and move on. Yes, it's harder to loose weight with PCOS but don't let that keep you down.
  • chittyrose
    Options
    When back to the doctor today and he feels pretty confident that with the metformin, exercise, and high protein diet he believes I will be okay. He did tell me that pregnancy will be very difficult but it is possible. Thanks for your support and knowing that I am not the only one is comforting.
  • chittyrose
    Options
    Just got back from the doctor again this week. He has now put me on a Byetta shot twice a day. Has anyone else done these shot.? Since MOnday I've lost 10 lbs but that might just be my scale.
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My friend was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries after she reported a dramatic weight gain (belly fat), hair loss (on her head), and hair growth on her chin. She has lost four lbs since she started metformin and birth control pills.
  • singingbamagal
    Options
    Hi guys, I am also new to myfitnesspal and to pcos. I was diagnosed last week after years of miscarriages, difficult pregnancies, and over 140lbs of weight gain. I am 27 years old and weigh 300lbs. I would love to be back in the 160's again. I am just trying now to eat what I know to be healthier and input everything here to see if I stay on track. I could not help myself and weighed at my moms today, and I lost one pound... I am feeling pretty lousy right now, even though I did not do a start weight Sunday, but just went off of what my weight was at the doctors office last Thurs. As much as I have worked this week at watching what I eat, exercising, etc...ONE POUND... come on... sigh, well, I will weigh again on Sunday, and if it is still not helping, I am headed back to my doctor for some metformin. He wanted me to try just a diet change for one week to see if that would help my symptoms and blood sugar issues. It has not helped at all. I knew this would be hard work, but maybe I am not eating the right foods still. I know I should not expect much, but the last time I did WW and a diet, I lost 10lbs in one week. Oh well... I will keep on trying. Good luck to all you girls trying to loose weight, and yes, I am on soulcysters. I joined this past week and it is a great site.
  • 1thirteen
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 23. I take metformin too. I know it's different in every case, but I got pregnant pretty easy. My best was told by her doctor that she would never have kids because of it. She went off of birth control and guess what showed up 9 months later. I suggested she get a new doctor.