little to no change 6 weeks but so many changes

Options
January 1 I stopped pop... not diet pop the real stuff and replaced with water. I was drinking 3 32 oz sodas a day. I also quit my weekend drinking habit which was full of calories. I’m eating smarter. I work with a personal trainer twice a week and workout on my own more than that and always get 10k+ steps a day. Before this I was sedentary. I had an inbody scan day 1 and another one a couple of days ago. My muscle has increased but my body fat has only dropped one pound. Very very frustrating. I have eliminated thousands of calories and burn more now than ever before and nada. So lost!

Replies

• elfkinbaby
    elfkinbaby Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh and it isn’t that I’m close to my goal weight or anything... I still have 59 lbs of body fat according to system.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating aka are you sure you're not replacing the calories you'd normally get from drinks with calories from food (healthy doesn't necessarily mean low in calories)? Are you logging everything accurately and are you using a food scale? Measuring cups and spoons can be really off and estimating the exact calories burned through exercise can be hard - so if you end up overestimating how much you burn at the same time as underestimating how much you eat.. you can end up losing most of your deficit through that, especially if you're going for a smaller one/slow weight loss
    (I'm struggling with slow weight loss myself, atm, being a short woman with not much to lose until I'm at a normal BMI)
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Try tracking your food, if you don't do so already. Enter everything that goes into your mouth on MFP. Use a scale to measure everything. It was absolutely necessary for me to track and measure everything. It really helps you realize how much you're eating! You're already making great progress if you've lost fat and have increased muscle. Keep track of your measurements in addition to the number on the scale. That can be a good reminder that weight isn't everything.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Logging it is probably a good idea :) I know, for myself, I could *easily* wipe out my entire deficit just by eating a bit too much of everything/using more oil than usual at dinner

(also - depending on which tablespoon I use for my peanut butter - I could be looking at a 100cal difference... which would be almost 10% of my entire daily intake! )
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Calories are the only thing that matters if you are trying to lose weight. If you are frustrated about not losing weight, I would really consider weighing and tracking everything. Not just dinner. It's the tool that people think they don't need because they eat "healthy." You're eating foods daily whose serving sizes are often misjudged and are high in calories. Sunflower seeds, avocado, and peanut butter. That could be 700+ calories right there. You won't know if you don't measure. You're on a calorie tracking site. It seems pointless not to, you know, track calories. At least try it out and stick to the calories given to you by the site. There's nothing to lose at this point by trying!
  • elfkinbaby
    Options
    I’ll try logging in again. Sad thing is I lost 50 lbs 2 years ago with ease while drinking pop with my exact same diet as now and less exercise. I don’t really try new recipes and I eat way smaller dinner than before... and gave up my high fat get home from work snack. Gained some back when started drinking alcohol so did a full stop to all pop (I was a rum and coke drinker).
  • elfkinbaby
    Options
    Just hard to believe it is calories since all of that and I have eliminated over 8,000 calories a week!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    elfkinbaby wrote: »
    Just hard to believe it is calories since all of that and I have eliminated over 8,000 calories a week!

Calories is king. You eat more than your maintenance, you will gain weight regardless if the food is healthy or not. On my last cutting phase, I was still losing weight despite doing no cardio and eating junk food occasionally. Of course, in my case, I am a 5'9 male, therefore I am able to eat more because of how much I burn calories during the day (I walk all day at work so that definitely helps). The trick is to know what is your Tdee maintenance calories and just eat less calories than that number. Don't create a big deficit either, you'll be eating away your hard earned muscles.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    People are so, so bad at estimating calories - it's definitely not just you! Give logging a try for a week or two at least, and you may be surprised what you discover. If you don't have a food scale, pick one of those up too - they're maybe $20 and a great tool for realizing what a portion really looks like. You've made some great changes for your health, but in the end, it's all about how many calories you're putting in your body versus how many you're using. Since you lost before, you know that you can do it, but this time, try to think about how to make it stick. Good luck!
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Someone brought up a good point about using a food scale are you using a food scale ??
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    elfkinbaby wrote: »

Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. If you are not accurately tracking and weighing and measuring, you really have no accurate idea.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Weight isn't the only thing to measure. Have your measurements changed?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Body fat estimates are notoriously variable. Log your calories in for a couple of weeks to get an accurate measure of what you are eating. Halve your "calories out" estimates. Plan your food intake to support your activity and re-assess after a month.
  • elfkinbaby
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Had some tests done today and had a long talk with my doctor and received some insight. I’ll post about it on a new thread later to hopefully help others like me!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So your meals other than your dinner sound accounted for and low calorie but you need to log what you have for dinner, that will be where your problem lies.
    The fact that you've only lost 1lb since 1st January means you are eating almost the same as what your body burns. In order to lose you need eat at calorie deficit. So log those dinners, they're obviously a lot more calories than you think hence no weight loss.

ps also, do you nibble/ snack? and are forgetting about those too? just a thought, a lot of us have been there, done that!