Frustrating Plateau. What can I do.

Options
I started my journey back on January 1st of this year and have made great strides. Went from 252 and now sit at 232, which I have been for almost 10 days now. I've changed nothing. In fact, cut out even more beer out of the diet. Super frustrated and wondering if any ideas on how to get over this hump.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    This is great info Aeloine. Thanks. And deal.
  • jrhammond79
    jrhammond79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing..lost the first 20 easy now its been slow going.. down from 197 to 177..im give it til the end of March if I'm down to 175 then I'll know I'm going in the right direction..im counting calories and carbs
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    Hey @jrhammond79 counting carbs? I try to limit them, but I lied, the one thing I have added as a light snack is some Skinny Pop popcorn. I wonder if that is an issue. That said, I've cut the beer during the week, so figured I'd be winning....
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    aeloine is right - wait it out....
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    I assume your goal is to lose fat, not just weight. Weight is the accumulation of your entire body including fat and water. Our bodies do a pretty great job of retaining water when needed which can mask fat loss.

I can go 2 weeks without a loss and then whoosh 2 lbs gone. It's not linear. As long as you know you're measuring your intake correctly and estimating your calorie burn as best you can then you'll eventually see a loss. If you haven't lost in 30 days then you know you need to re-evaluate your approach!

Thanks so much @gamerbabe14. I agree. Just likely being impatient. The first 20lbs just came off so nicely in a couple of months. And to your point, yes, fat, please go away!!
  • jrhammond79
    Options
    Yeah I'm counting carbs and calories
  • Omnimous69
    Omnimous69 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The lifestyle will take care of you. Expect plateaus and plan to be were you are for 2-3 weeks. It is natural. You are doing everything correct. Cutting that beer is tough, but I did that too. Makes a difference. I'm down to about 4 every 2 or 3 weeks during one cheat hockey game lol
  • jrhammond79
    Options
    Yeah our progress seems pretty typical...i don't drink and I'm trying my best to keep my count accurate
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had to be brutally honest with myself about the logging accurately......there is no explanation for my several month plateau except that: it is totally self induced. Food scale and self awareness are going to get me on my way again. Of this I am certain! Good luck....stay the course and YOU CAN DO IT
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    Omnimous69 wrote: »
    The lifestyle will take care of you. Expect plateaus and plan to be were you are for 2-3 weeks. It is natural. You are doing everything correct. Cutting that beer is tough, but I did that too. Makes a difference. I'm down to about 4 every 2 or 3 weeks during one cheat hockey game lol

So funny you say that. My worst nights are when I play pick up. Especially if they are at 10 or later. Always a few beers int he dressing room and then a stop for a few McDoubles or what not. Really not in the mood to make a nice quinoa pilaf when I get home if you know what I mean!! I just gotta be patient. Thanks for the reply.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    Yeah our progress seems pretty typical...i don't drink and I'm trying my best to keep my count accurate

Okay great to know. Just was a bit surprised going 10 days without any real loss...feel better mind you.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    Yep. I had to be brutally honest with myself about the logging accurately......there is no explanation for my several month plateau except that: it is totally self induced. Food scale and self awareness are going to get me on my way again. Of this I am certain! Good luck....stay the course and YOU CAN DO IT

Thanks so much @Thehardmakesitworthit !! I may just have to snag a food scale...maybe my approximations aern;t as accurate as I think and it's biting me in the butt.
  • sara_nikko
    sara_nikko Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I completely agree about a food scale. Whenever I stop weighing my food, I start maintaining weight. Don't get me wrong, maintaining is better than gaining weight if that is your goal, but this is what usually helps me get back into CICO.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    sara_nikko wrote: »

I completely agree about a food scale. Whenever I stop weighing my food, I start maintaining weight. Don't get me wrong, maintaining is better than gaining weight if that is your goal, but this is what usually helps me get back into CICO.

Thanks @sara_nikko. I always just eye-ball it, and I think that's catching up with me. Going to look on Amazon today!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey @jrhammond79 counting carbs? I try to limit them, but I lied, the one thing I have added as a light snack is some Skinny Pop popcorn. I wonder if that is an issue. That said, I've cut the beer during the week, so figured I'd be winning....

For future reference, when a person is limiting carbs, any sudden increase is going to result in a water weight spike which can result in the number on the scale going up or at least temporarily masking fat loss. It's normal, has nothing to do with your progress, and will level out eventually. It's the reason many dieter's have a higher carb meal/day and assume carbs make people gain weight. It's just water from the increased glycogen stores.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

For future reference, when a person is limiting carbs, any sudden increase is going to result in a water weight spike which can result in the number on the scale going up or at least temporarily masking fat loss. It's normal, has nothing to do with your progress, and will level out eventually. It's the reason many dieter's have a higher carb meal/day and assume carbs make people gain weight. It's just water from the increased glycogen stores.

Very insightful. I had no idea. This is really good to know @try2again . Looking for anything to stay positive. And this helped, a lot!