Coffee Creamer Substitute

Options
I am finding that I am wasting too many calories on my morning coffee. I use about 3 of the small non-dairy vanilla flavored creamers per cup of coffee (blonde roast) and I have 1-2 cups each morning. I don't like the sugar free varieties due to taste differences and I'm wondering what suggestions might get me a creamy, sweet substitute that wont ruin my morning cup!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would think one unit was meant for one cup? If you decide you're spending too much calorie wise on the creamer, you will have to either use less creamer in your coffee, or drink fewer cups per day, or drink coffee less frequently, or use a little milk, or just drink it black. It won't be the same sweet and creamy experience, of course, but you can get used to that. You will actually be able to taste the coffee!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    1) Buy better coffee
    2) Scale back on the creamer. I use less than 1 tablespoon per cup - just enough to cut the acidity. It's delicious.

~Lyssa
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I switched to black coffee with about 1/3 tsp of sugar. If it's decent coffee, I don't miss the creamer. Sometimes I'll add a dash of cinnamon. I've also added unsweetened cocoa powder (about 7 calories/tsp).

My husband has added vanilla extract to his, but never used creamer to begin with.

If you're not one to go cold-turkey, you could start by just cutting back to two packs per cup, then to one, then half of one, etc.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I use a creamer called "Califia farms" that is made from almond and coconut creams. It has 15 calories per serving and is pretty good. I like the vanilla kind.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had to slowly wean myself off of the creamer to a more appropriate amount. I still love my creamer, but before I was using 5-6 tablespoons per cup which was just excessive. I slowly started using less and less, and once I got used to it I'd lower the amount again. Now I drink a big travel mug with 1T and it still satisfies me.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Try using vanilla premier protein ready to drink shakes as a creamer. 11 oz, 160 cal, 30 protein. Not sure how much you would need to make it how you like per cup but 11 oz should go pretty far. They have other flavors too that you can play with, chocolate, caramel.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you want "sweet and creamy" you either have to pay for it with calories or use a sugar sub. You could try cutting from 3 to 2 for a week or two, then try 1 regular and one sugar free and see if you get used to it. Sometimes you just need to ease into it and give your taste time to change.

I've gotten to the point where I prefer my coffee with no sweetener and just a splash of 2% milk, about 15 cals per cup.
  • Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do only have one or two cups of coffee in the morning but still 130 calories in sweetened creamer is the equivalent of a afternoon snack. I'd rather save those calories for a glass of wine! lol. I have tried switching to black coffee but its horrid. I drink Starbucks Veranda and Breakfast Blend or Dunkin Donuts Original blend so I think I'm drinking decent coffee.....I like it.... :/ someone told me to try Almond Milk instead.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk and a bit of the Taroni syrups.
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    Sharon909 wrote: »
    I do only have one or two cups of coffee in the morning but still 130 calories in sweetened creamer is the equivalent of a afternoon snack. I'd rather save those calories for a glass of wine! lol. I have tried switching to black coffee but its horrid. I drink Starbucks Veranda and Breakfast Blend or Dunkin Donuts Original blend so I think I'm drinking decent coffee.....I like it.... :/ someone told me to try Almond Milk instead.

I tried the various alternative milks as well. I'd say I liked cashew milk the most, because it had the least nutty flavor. Just a little splash of regular milk or cream is ok, too, and should have fewer calories than that creamer, but won't have the sweet.

Whatever you try, be sure to measure it out at first to get an idea what a tsp or Tsp you're really using in your "splash".
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking like 5 tbsp of creamer in my coffee to drinking it black. First I stared putting less creamer in, like only 2 tbsp, then switched to original creamer (walmart brand is only 15 calories) then switched to black. I also have to make my coffee lighter or its too bitter. I went from 3 spoonfuls of grounds to 2 1/2.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Try using vanilla premier protein ready to drink shakes as a creamer. 11 oz, 160 cal, 30 protein. Not sure how much you would need to make it how you like per cup but 11 oz should go pretty far. They have other flavors too that you can play with, chocolate, caramel.

Oh I like this Idea. I usually have 1-2 cups of coffee on sunday with a little creamer as my treat, but I like this idea better, this is the kind of protein drink I drink already
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    I went from drinking like 5 tbsp of creamer in my coffee to drinking it black. First I stared putting less creamer in, like only 2 tbsp, then switched to original creamer (walmart brand is only 15 calories) then switched to black. I also have to make my coffee lighter or its too bitter. I'm I went from 3 spoonfuls of grounds to 2 1/2.

This for me as well! But not too light...it's a balance.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Sharon909 wrote: »

Is there any coffee in that cup? ;););)

I love coffee, and drink it black. I also avoid the Starbucks/chains...it just doesn't cut it for me.
    Find a good roastery near you and sample what they have. I'd bet you'd learn to love coffee for the coffee and not the creamer.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Nestle Bliss Sweet Cream - its only 35 calories in a full serving I believe - and usually cut that - I add in milk and a dash of creamer.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I actually like liquid stevia (vanilla creme and English Toffee, you can find it on amazon) and a little real half and half or heated almond milk.. It's nice if you have a submersion blender to make it a little frothy too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I use 2 ounces of Fairlife whole milk (<40 calories) and a splash of Torani syrup if I want it sweetened.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Drink it black. Oh yea!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I like my coffee light too. I purchased the Half & Half Mini Moos. They are 10 calories each so I can use two per cup and it only adds 20 calories to a cup of coffee. I also found sugar free Taroni syrups so I can add some Salted Caramel or Hazelnut flavoring for zero calories.
  • akamara
    akamara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try Fairfield skim milk. I can't tell the difference. Zero points for Weight Watchers for 1/4 cup.