Calories in hard boiled eggs

Options
i'm confused (again). There are several entries in the MFP database for hard boiled eggs- no yolk, whites only. Some entries say 70 calories per egg and some say 17 calories per egg. I googled it and got similar discrepancies. Big difference between the two. How do I know which is right? Which do you use?

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    70 calories for the whole egg no matter if it's boiled or in a pan (of course if ya cook in IN something like butter etc that has calories but the egg is still 70), the 17 calories sounds like the egg white only. Eat the whole thing it's good for you :D
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    70 calories for the whole egg no matter if it's boiled or in a pan (of course if ya cook in IN something like butter etc that has calories but the egg is still 70), the 17 calories sounds like the egg white only. Eat the whole thing it's good for you :D

this
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also, pay attention to sizes - a medium-sized egg will have fewer calories than a extra-large-sized egg. 70 is usually common for medium to large.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

^^^^ What she said - whole egg 70 - whites 17.......and yes - eat the whole thing ;-)
  • Txifonly
    Txifonly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yuck! I don't like the yolks at all, so I don't want to count the calories if I don't eat them.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You're missing out on a lot of good stuff, and protein etc in the yolk part of the egg. of course if you're not eating it then don't count it but I'd encourage you to try it different ways to find a way you like it. :D
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I like to put a little sour cream on my hard boiled eggs sometimes. They are so convenient for breakfast.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Definitely consider size....the eggs I would eat would be completely different. They're like extra, extra large (think the largest size you see in the store and think even bigger) and they have two yolks.
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I save the dilemma of having to eat or waste yolks but buying the egg whites in the carton.
    1/4 cup is typically 25-30 calories, it's claimed to be one egg's worth. Of course eggs come in, what, 4 different general sizes?

That way I measure, and it stays consistent.
  • Txifonly
    Txifonly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use the carton of egg whites for breakfast but I was looking for a quick, easy low cal snack and thought a boiled egg would work until I saw the conflict in the database regarding calories. If they are just 17 calories then I'm down with a boiled egg while cooking dinner to stave off "starvation". If they are 70 calories I will go a different route. I have (finally) gotten over my aversion to throwing away perfectly good food. That is what got me into the obese category in the first place. "Clean your plate" was so embedded in my brain it took a long time to eradicate it. Now it goes into the fridge as leftovers for tomorrow or back into Mother Earth as compost.