• ndiamondrn
    ndiamondrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Either for me Thank You :)
  • MyRoadto195
    MyRoadto195 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    For my weight loss, I do Intermittent fasting 18 hour fast 6 hour eating window. It works for me as lost 56 lbs till now.

I also found that with olive or peanut or coconut oil, weight loss is better compared to canola or refined oils

On Weekdays
    For Breakfast
    Protein shake smoothie with a cup of raspberries and 2-3 cups of Kale. Have 1/4 cup oatmeal with one cup of dal or any subzi or 4 eggs omelette with 2 oz Shredded cheese
    Sometimes 2-3 idlies or 2 homemade Dosa

This comes to 700 to 900 calories

Lunch
    Tandoori Chicken 2 breast’s or Leg and Thigh
    OR Egg Curry
    OR Chicken Curry
    OR Subzi (no potatoes)
    OR Dal with
    2 cups Cauliflower rice OR baked veggies

This comes to 800-900 calories

Every weekend do OMAD for 2 days, if I go to a Indian restaurant, I eat everything but keep my trips to the food table to 2 also keep rice to 1/2 cup and 1/2 naan and limit desserts to one or two tablespoon. That is only during the weekend

As for recipes, look into YouTube for Headbangers Kitchen or VareVah chef
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A dietitian once told a couple in our diabetic class that he would have to give up his butter chicken. I don't see why. Replace the rich cream with lower fat yogurt in the sauce. It won't be quite the same but I don't see why most recipes can't be modified lower fat for weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    For my weight loss, I do Intermittent fasting 18 hour fast 6 hour eating window. It works for me as lost 56 lbs till now.

I also found that with olive or peanut or coconut oil, weight loss is better compared to canola or refined oils

On Weekdays
    For Breakfast
    Protein shake smoothie with a cup of raspberries and 2-3 cups of Kale. Have 1/4 cup oatmeal with one cup of dal or any subzi or 4 eggs omelette with 2 oz Shredded cheese

Lunch
    OR Egg Curry
    OR Chicken Curry
    OR Subzi (no potatoes)
    OR Dal with

Every weekend do OMAD for 2 days, if I go to a Indian restaurant, I eat everything but keep my trips to the food table to 2 also keep rice to 1/2 cup and 1/2 naan and limit desserts to one or two tablespoon. That is only during the weekend

intermittent fasting is just a window of time to eat your calories. you can still overeat doing IF. I have done it. as for the oils weigh loss isnt going to be any better with one than another it still comes down to a deficit of calories.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Indian I eat everything from eggplants to turai( ridge gourd). I am struggling a lot. I am in plateau since last February. I was an active member till march last year then quit in frustration. I am back with a new account coz I am really scared about my weight. Sorry I am rambling :0
  • shatabdi
    shatabdi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IF is going well for me and it actually helps me restrict my calorific intake. But everyone's body is different and how much ever research you do, what works for you is going to be specific to you. Going back to the subject of indian food.
    I love the food I grew up eating, so Im gonna share a couple things.
    1. I make dal, but keep it dense by adding squash / spinach / kale / cauliflower etc. This is usually my soup for dinner. You can top it off with ghee / avocado. I also use my home-made cumin powder.
    2. You can obviously do meat. Here is a recipe for coriander chicken (https://saffronstreaks.com/recipes/bengali-dhonepata-murgi-dhaniya-murgh-indian-cilantro-chicken-curry-a-winter-special/ ). I eat it with ezekiel bread, but you can do quinoa or brown rice.
    3. You can also steam fish like here (https://food.ndtv.com/recipe-steamed-fish-with-green-chutney-250980 ). I would make this with salmon or whichever fresh fish is available for you.

Goodluck!!
  • MyRoadto195
    edited March 2018
    Options

On Weekdays
    For Breakfast

Lunch
    OR Egg Curry
    OR Chicken Curry
    OR Subzi (no potatoes)
    OR Dal with

intermittent fasting is just a window of time to eat your calories. you can still overeat doing IF. I have done it. as for the oils weigh loss isnt going to be any better with one than another it still comes down to a deficit of calories.

Maybe, but I differ when one cannot identify it an GMO based and also if someone has insulin resistance. This is based on my body’s reaction and food intake for past 4 months and it is consistent with Dr. Berg and Dr. Fung. Every time I ate based on FDA approved calories based on info on a package, found my weight spikes by 2 pounds. So preservatives do not go well with me. This information is consistent with what a Naturopath and Homeopath also told me. It works for me and everyone’s body is different

those drs were debunked and proven to be quacks. and weight fluctuates for many reasons and it fluctuates all the time. not to mention packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving. high sodium can cause weight to spike a good bit, so can exerncise,extra carbs,etc. maybe preservatives dont go well with a health issue you may have but it has nothing to do with weight gain unless its causing some type of inflammation or water retention in your body. Then its not true fat gain either.

fung is a nephrologist who deals with kidney issues, he also said that people on insulin can stop cold turkey and start his diet and not need insulin which is bullcrap. also he said someone with an A1c of over 6.5 can cure diabetes with his diet. you cant cure it. you can reverse it with diet ,exercise and weight loss in many cases but if you go back to eating the same way you were it can rear its ugly head. sure one way of eating can help someone lose the weight as opposed to another way of eating but it still comes down to a calorie deficit.

protein can also spike blood sugar,which is a normal body response. as for eating the calories based on a package it says a 2000 calorie diet. its not telling you to eat 2000 calories thats just a guideline for those who eat that much. some people cant eat 2000 calories and loses weight,some can eat much more,you just have to find the calorie goal that works for you to lose weight.

even if you have insulin resistance its still going to come down to a calorie deficit to lose weight. how you do that is up to you(as long as its a healthy deficit meaning not too big). for some with insulin and type 2 they may need less carbs to help with the insulin issues but again they still need to eat less than their body burns to lose.

Lol,, wow, you’re totally riled up
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you eat the normal food but in smaller portions. Add protein to your diet if you are vegetarian. Our diets are chiefly carbohydrate based. Another thing is watch the amount of oil that is being put in the preparation. What you are thinking to be a 100 cal thing might actually be 2x 3x cal with all the calories hidden in the oil. Last, but probably most important, weigh your portions. I learnt it the hard way.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @MyRoadto195 - You just keep doing you lol.
    @ Op - If I was to be a vegetarian, I would only do indian dishes. My favourite is dahl. There are plenty of variations but this was one version I was given. To this recipe I would add what I had in the fridge e.g usually spinach and tomatoes or sweet potato or eggplant or sometimes chickpeas. The other version had curry leaves in it - I don't know what I did with that recipe. While I can't give exact amounts, I do remember it had cumin, turmeric, mustard seeds, curry leaves, onion, garlic, ginger, ghee as the base. That was a good one too.

2 tablespoons of Ghee or coconut oil
    1 Medium Onion, finely diced
    2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
    1 inch piece of Ginger, finely grated
    2 teaspoons of Mustard Seeds
    2 teaspoons of Garam Masala
    1 teaspoon of Cumin
    1 teaspoon of Tumeric
    1 teaspoon of Chilli Powder
    3 cups of Red Lentils
    3-4 cups of Vegetable Stock
    2 Tomatoes, diced
    2 teaspoons of Salt
    I don't have a set method but I generally fry the onion, garlic, ginger, mustard seeds in ghee or oil . When the mustard seeds start popping, add spices and saute til fragrant. Add stock, lentils and tomatoes. Bring pot to boil then simmer for about half an hour - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more stock if lentils start to dry out. Add salt to taste when lentils are cooked .

Happy learning.
  • Largs_55
    Largs_55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    check out link. Most recipes have the calories etc.

https://www.harighotra.co.uk/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

On Weekdays
    For Breakfast

Lunch
    OR Egg Curry
    OR Chicken Curry
    OR Subzi (no potatoes)
    OR Dal with

Maybe, but I differ when one cannot identify it an GMO based and also if someone has insulin resistance. This is based on my body’s reaction and food intake for past 4 months and it is consistent with Dr. Berg and Dr. Fung. Every time I ate based on FDA approved calories based on info on a package, found my weight spikes by 2 pounds. So preservatives do not go well with me. This information is consistent with what a Naturopath and Homeopath also told me. It works for me and everyone’s body is different

those drs were debunked and proven to be quacks. and weight fluctuates for many reasons and it fluctuates all the time. not to mention packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving. high sodium can cause weight to spike a good bit, so can exerncise,extra carbs,etc. maybe preservatives dont go well with a health issue you may have but it has nothing to do with weight gain unless its causing some type of inflammation or water retention in your body. Then its not true fat gain either.

fung is a nephrologist who deals with kidney issues, he also said that people on insulin can stop cold turkey and start his diet and not need insulin which is bullcrap. also he said someone with an A1c of over 6.5 can cure diabetes with his diet. you cant cure it. you can reverse it with diet ,exercise and weight loss in many cases but if you go back to eating the same way you were it can rear its ugly head. sure one way of eating can help someone lose the weight as opposed to another way of eating but it still comes down to a calorie deficit.

protein can also spike blood sugar,which is a normal body response. as for eating the calories based on a package it says a 2000 calorie diet. its not telling you to eat 2000 calories thats just a guideline for those who eat that much. some people cant eat 2000 calories and loses weight,some can eat much more,you just have to find the calorie goal that works for you to lose weight.

even if you have insulin resistance its still going to come down to a calorie deficit to lose weight. how you do that is up to you(as long as its a healthy deficit meaning not too big). for some with insulin and type 2 they may need less carbs to help with the insulin issues but again they still need to eat less than their body burns to lose.

no Im not riled up. just trying to state facts.
  • MyRoadto195
    Options

On Weekdays
    For Breakfast

Lunch
    OR Egg Curry
    OR Chicken Curry
    OR Subzi (no potatoes)
    OR Dal with

Allright, One stop google doc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

On Weekdays
    For Breakfast

Lunch
    OR Egg Curry
    OR Chicken Curry
    OR Subzi (no potatoes)
    OR Dal with

those drs were debunked and proven to be quacks. and weight fluctuates for many reasons and it fluctuates all the time. not to mention packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving. high sodium can cause weight to spike a good bit, so can exercise,extra carbs,etc. maybe preservatives dont go well with a health issue you may have but it has nothing to do with weight gain unless its causing some type of inflammation or water retention in your body. Then its not true fat gain either.

I have done enough research over the last 5 years on these things, so have others. there are plenty of forums about these thing with legit links to peer reviewed scientific studies. I dont need google to get my info. I get my info from legit studies.I also did research on these supposed experts and their credentials are lacking for what they are promoting. But if you want to believe what you do thats your choice.
  • MyRoadto195
    edited March 2018
    Options

On Weekdays
    For Breakfast

Lunch
    OR Egg Curry
    OR Chicken Curry
    OR Subzi (no potatoes)
    OR Dal with

those drs were debunked and proven to be quacks. and weight fluctuates for many reasons and it fluctuates all the time. not to mention packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving. high sodium can cause weight to spike a good bit, so can exercise,extra carbs,etc. maybe preservatives dont go well with a health issue you may have but it has nothing to do with weight gain unless its causing some type of inflammation or water retention in your body. Then its not true fat gain either.

I have done enough research over the last 5 years on these things, so have others. there are plenty of forums about these thing with legit links to peer reviewed scientific studies. I dont need google to get my info. I get my info from legit studies.I also did research on these supposed experts and their credentials are lacking for what they are promoting. But if you want to believe what you do thats your choice.

Good for you, Understand your opinion, in my humble defense, only flaw I see your assumption I have not done any study. FYI, I have been battling obesity for over 21 years and tried everything thing till now, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Nutrisystem, Amway et al. Before starting anything I voraciously read analyze and then confirm,

In Addition what you call Quacks (Homeopaths/Naturopath) have cured me of Psorarsis as well as Sinuses and Acanthosis Nigiris, they also helped me understand the nuances between when a body needs essential minerals and vitamins, the signals body sends for lack of them which gets interpreted as Hunger and leads to you know what, being FAT. They have helped me understand my body's subtle constitution and work with that.

Also worked at the FDA on their Drug division, so I know a lot more of what is out there, which not many know or show up on research papers for decades.

As mentioned earlier, everyone body is different, what I mentioned above worked for me. Anyway this is getting to be like, you said and I said. I am done with you.

Good luck with everyone's weight loss. As for Indian reciepes found that Headbangers Kitchen and VareVah Chef on youtube is what I use.
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Indian as apple pie is blog with lots of low fat vegan Indian recipes. I just tried her fire eggplant recipe - tasty!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!