Hypothyroidism

Options
Anyone lost lbs with hypothyroidism and anemic .. I am struggling last couple of months.. I am gaining weight constantly.. cutting carbs and calories doesn’t help either.. not getting much time for exercising .. having constant headache and feeling exhausted and tired

Replies

• ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have Hashimoto's. Half of my thyroid was removed eight years ago. Levothyroxine dose increases periodically. I've lost 55# from my peak weight by reducing calories and exercising.
  • hbratset
    hbratset Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have hypothyroidism and anemia. I have lost weight in the past with these conditions, but unfortunately gained the weight back (stopped tracking and exercise routine... big mistake!!). It can be done. It gets harder (in my opinion) with age, but you can do it!! Track everything... force yourself to move (take long walks for example) even though you are exhausted and are in pain. This helps generate more energy over time. I have started yoga, which helps me a lot. Also, I started taking more D, B complex, and magnesium as well as my iron tablets and I feel it's really made a difference in my levels of energy. You've got this! We can both do this. :smile:
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    when was the last time you had a full blood panel done? when properly controlled with medication (levo, synthroid) you should have no issues losing weight like a non-hypo person.

@CSARdiver can take all the science stuff behind it

^^^This. If symptoms of hypothyroid persist, including weight gain, you need to get your panels checked and your medication doses adjusted accordingly.
  • satarupasarkar1988
    satarupasarkar1988 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch guys. This would to keep me motivated. I have done my thyroid panel done 3 weeks ago, it’s came TSH is low .09, t3,t4 And Vitamin Dis in range but anemic. I have been treated with Hypothyroidism last 4years never been devastated like this before. Doctor said to continue same amount of medicine dose. Last couple of days headache and nausea making life harder.
  • hbratset
    hbratset Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above... I get my blood panel done about every 6 months for T3, T4, Vit D, and Fe. It can take a really long time to find the right dose in the tiniest incrementation. The iron deficiency alone can make you feel exhausted, in pain, have heart palpitations, shortness of breath leading to anxiety, etc. Supplements really help, the right dose of the correct medications, and of course get you moving. These things won't make you lose weight, but you will have the energy and balance to achieve it!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch guys. This would to keep me motivated. I have done my thyroid panel done 3 weeks ago, it’s came TSH is low .09, t3,t4 And Vitamin Dis in range but anemic. I have been treated with Hypothyroidism last 4years never been devastated like this before. Doctor said to continue same amount of medicine dose. Last couple of days headache and nausea making life harder.

there is a fairly significant range for TSH that doctor's look at - it could be that while you are in the range its not the optimal range for you (the current published range is like .5-4.5; but I believe that many endos are starting to use .2-2.0 for a range - or similar). From experience, keeping my TSH at .5-.7 gives me the best results but others can go higher
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    TSH of 0.9 isn't low - optimal range being 0.2-2.0. Note that this is highly dependent on what you are used to so be aware of the hyperthyroid symptoms and relay anything strange to your treating physician.

I'm going to guess that this is originating from the anemia as opposed to thyroid. Have you been treated for anemia in the past or is this a recent diagnosis?

Are you well hydrated?
  • hoops1888
    hoops1888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Isn’t it a high TSH that presents as hypo? A low T4 and a high TSH?
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I too am hypo and have struggled with losing weight but am starting to do better now. Here are some important things to consider. You can have perfect blood tests and still have hypo symptoms. This may be due to not enough Vit. D or iron. Vit.D in range but at the low end can be not enough for some. Aim for mid-range. Iron is necessary to convert T4 to T3, and for energy. Some people feel better quite quickly with iron supplements and others take longer, up to a month.
    Inflammatory foods can have a disastrous effect on weight loss for hypo people and anyone with an autoimmune condition. Following an anti-inflammatory diet/autoimmune protocol in conjunction with reducing calories should see you start losing.
    I recently decided to try daily weigh ins which are normally not a good idea but can help you understand the impact of cheating on an auto immune diet. I thought a little bit of this or that (and still within calorie allowance) wasn't going to hurt much but boy, was I wrong. Still trying to fix that big boo boo.
    Finally, a lot of people do very well on Levo and a lot don't. If you fall into the 'don't' category, you can find more info through https://www.verywell.com/thyroid-4014636 and by searching facebook for Mary Shimon, and joining her group.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that your TSH looks okay. Mine is low at 0.1 ut I take a medication that includes T3 so it tends to push it lower than what just a T4 would do.

How was your free T3 and free T4? For some, keeping those in the 50-75% portion of the normal range feels best. I'm one like that. If my free T3 is in the lower portion of normal, I feel pretty poor.

Your anemia is worrisome. Have you ever been checked for celiac disease? I ask because celiac is more common in those with hashimoto's, and because anemia is the most common symptom of celiac disease. It could be something to check.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I’ve an UAT but not anaemia. I have lost 15lb since 1st Feb by sticking to 1750 cals per day (I’m 5ft 7”, over 240lb and have a very sedentary lifestyle).
    I just about make it out of bed and drive to work where I sit at a desk for 8 hours. At weekends I barely move from bed because the joint, bone, muscle pains are bad. I am just focusing on getting the healthy eating part in place and hope that as I lose more, it will eventually allow me to be more active. I used to enjoy walking and in 2013 (before diagnosis) I climbed Mt Fuji in Japan....I can barely walk around a large supermarket now with being in pain for hours after.
    Good luck with this