Making Changes 2 Live

Options
shanese16
shanese16 Posts: 2 Member
I went to the doctor last week for a check up. I am a diabetic and I almost passed out when I was told my blood sugar level was 400 and my A1C was 14, as well as the fact I gained 21 pounds in 3 months. I was so disappointed and embarrassed. The doctor told me like so many others “You need to change your lifestyle!” This is my first step and I need all the support and motivation that’s available. Best wishes to everyone on your journey.

Replies

• melindaleigh71
    melindaleigh71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to lose weight and get healthy. Welcome!
  • jlozoria
    jlozoria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went for a check up also. My levels were border line and he put me on blood pressure meds. Told me if on my next checkup nothing improved he is putting me on more meds... So far, I’ve lost 12lbs. I don’t want to be on meds so I’ve changed my lifestyle. I’m here if you need motivation. You can add me for support.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 now for 8 years or so and you have to be feeling it at 400 I was there had the at 2:00 I was dead tired. But I got my act together and now my doctor tells me I'm boring, labs are boring and normal she doesn't have to do anything. So diet and exercise will get you back to normal ranges just keep plugging away.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed, be inspired!

There is a lot of information to take in with diabetes. The important things are to start tracking what you eat and start moving.

No matter what any website says, there is no such thing as the perfect diabetic diet. The single most important factor is that you find something you can stick to. That being said, you are going to have to learn to count carbs. Whether for you that means 30-45 a meal or <20 a day is going to depend on your body and your preferences. I have found a happy medium for me that is just above recommended levels for keto, well below ADA guidelines.

Slip ups just don't matter. This is for the rest of your life, you can do better with your next meal.
  • cheripie1
    cheripie1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Cherri from London England at the beginning of a three stone marathon! Ive just let it slip year after year but it's time to get a handle on this as it's affecting my health and happiness.. love to share motivation with you.