Beginners Running, where to start

Options
So how do I start running? I'm not the most unfit person and do quite a bit of exercise but never done any running.
What's the best way to get started? Just walk and get faster as you get fitter? Run as far as you can before resting when you run out of steam? Enter a charity fun run to provide a goal?

Interested to hear other peoples ideas/experiences.

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I tried running in 2010, but I was heavier then and had done no strength training. I tried to do a C25K and I couldn't complete my charity run without stopping to walk.

In 2014, after I lost about 20 lb. and did some strength training (stronglifts 5x5), running was MUCH easier. Much much much. Completed my first 5k without stopping in 2015 and have since run 5ks, 10ks, 10-mile races, and half marathons without stopping to walk.

That said, you can run at any weight, just ease in with speed, distance, and intervals. C25K is a great program - it eases you in with progressively more running per mile each week. Don't worry about your speed, you can increase that over time. Signing up for a charity run is a great idea.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do the C25K stuff. I started out walking and would jog/run to the next phone pole, adding more running distance as I got better at it. Maybe walk 2 minutes, run one? I guess pick something that sounds good to you and will work with your brain and body. Build on it. Best wishes.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, will go google C25K right now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    picnic2day wrote: »
    So how do I start running? I'm not the most unfit person and do quite a bit of exercise but never done any running.
    What's the best way to get started? Just walk and get faster as you get fitter? Run as far as you can before resting when you run out of steam? Enter a charity fun run to provide a goal?

Interested to hear other peoples ideas/experiences.

Personally I would suggest C25K, as it helps to manage your increasing workload. That helps mitigate risk. It also has you running on alternate days, which gives you opportunities for cross training. You could do strength training, cycling, swimming.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    PS: I have no shame about stopping and walking as I go :)
  • ValeriePlz
    Options
    For the early days of C25K, it can be annoying to try to time yourself for the walk/run intervals. My advice is run on a treadmill or find a free indoor track where it's easier to gauge distance.

At my local community center, 14 laps is a mile. I'd run 1 lap, walk 1; then run 2; walk 1, and so on. It makes counting easier, unless you do block by block outdoors or time yourself, which can be difficult mid-run.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K. There are apps that will chime and tell you when to switch, if you're interested. Otherwise the beginning, at least for me, would have been too distracting with math. It was much easier just to listen to the app's instructions. It didn't disrupt the music/whatever else.

Also, instead of repeating weeks once they felt too hard I realized I just needed to run slower, so I slowed down by .2mph and suddenly could breathe while I ran. It was hard to admit to myself that I had to go even slower than I thought (which was already super slow), but I don't think I would have finished nearly as quickly had I kept the original speed.

I don't think I'm going to work on speed until my runs are all about 45 minutes each or so. When I do, I think I'll restart C25K but in a jog/jog-faster rather than jog/walk.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    C25K. I would strongly advise not just going out and running until you can't run anymore. That sounds like a recipe for burnout and potential injury. I would also recommend signing up for a 5k so you have a goal race to work toward while doing C25K. Just don't be worried if you aren't actually running a full 5k by the time you finish C25K. The program trains you to run for 30 minutes without stopping, which may or may not be enough time for you to finish a 5k. Many people do not finish their first 5k (or their second, or third, or tenth...) in 30 minutes. However, if you can run 30 minutes, then on race day you should be well prepared to run most, if not all, of the distance.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Also - once you pick a program go out and get fitted for shoes at a store that specializes specifically in running and gait analysis. Proper shoes can prevent many beginner injuries.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    For the early days of C25K, it can be annoying to try to time yourself for the walk/run intervals. My advice is run on a treadmill or find a free indoor track where it's easier to gauge distance.

At my local community center, 14 laps is a mile. I'd run 1 lap, walk 1; then run 2; walk 1, and so on. It makes counting easier, unless you do block by block outdoors or time yourself, which can be difficult mid-run.

From a personal perspective, if I'd started on a track or dreadmill I don't think I'd not now be a fairly regular marathon and ultra runner.

There are plenty of podcasts and apps that inform you.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    C25K seems very popular. I would also suggest getting fitted with the proper shoes at a running store. The right shoes makes a world of difference.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »

C25K doesn't time your segments in the program? "Personal Running Trainer 8 weeks to 5K" does. Put in the ear buds, cue up the program and run it. The "trainer" tells you when to start and stop running after a 5 minute warm up brisk walk and then a 5 minute cool down walk. Plays music, generic, at a beat to correspond to a reasonable cadence. Timing, using this program, is neither annoying nor a bother.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    2 options -

1) a guided program like C25K or similar
    2) just go out and run. Go a little slower when you feel weak/tired/winded, go a little faster when you feel good. Rinse and repeat. It doesn't have to be complicated.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    The first time I started running it was a slow progression b/c I wasn't sure how to get going. I started walking on a treadmill until I felt like I could run a little bit. Then I would run and walk on the treadmill until I could run one mile. Then I'd bump it up to two miles, etc. Then I began running outside and it was a whole new world for me.
    So, the second time I started running (two pregnancies in two years kept me from running like I wanted) I started the Couch25k App on the phone and you walk, run intervals for 8 weeks until you are up to running a 5k.
    Running is something I HATED in my youngers years and would never voluntarily do it. Now I can't wait to get up in the a.m. and get my shoes on and go. I'm addicted.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Run/Walk intervals. You'll be surprised how quickly you increase your run time and decrease you walk time.
    Jeff Galloway has an awesome program too.
  • ValeriePlz
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    C25K doesn't time your segments in the program? "Personal Running Trainer 8 weeks to 5K" does. Put in the ear buds, cue up the program and run it. The "trainer" tells you when to start and stop running after a 5 minute warm up brisk walk and then a 5 minute cool down walk. Plays music, generic, at a beat to correspond to a reasonable cadence. Timing, using this program, is neither annoying nor a bother.

This sounds like a great way to do it. I was thinking of my experience using C25K, which was like 10 years ago before smartphones and apps existed. ;)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    2 options -

1) a guided program like C25K or similar
    2) just go out and run. Go a little slower when you feel weak/tired/winded, go a little faster when you feel good. Rinse and repeat. It doesn't have to be complicated.

I would never discourage someone from using a guided program, but I would say that option two can definitely work also. I started running when my morning walks with the dogs were getting too easy, but didn’t do a program because running with the dogs wasn’t really conducive to it, and because I was really only up for 10-15 minutes at a time at that point. I just ran short distances, tried to make those distances longer when I felt up for it, and eventually ditched the dogs because they were holding me back. As others have noted, get good shoes (it’s worth it)! I’d also recommend that you push yourself, but don’t try and push through pain. If your shins start hurting, switch back to a walk. If your side is aching, do the same. You only have to make a little progress at a time and it really will add up, but trying too much too soon can and has derailed a lot of people. Finally, run slow. Like, as slow as humanly possible. Try finding slow, steady music to run to, even. You’re building up your endurance right now, and slow is the way to go. Good luck - I got the bug, and maybe you will too!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't run anymore, but way back when I did a C25K and it was very helpful and structured so I didn't feel like I was just spinning my wheels.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm still a super novice when it comes to running but these things random things personally made a huge impact for me:

1. Pace - learn to run as slow as needed (in my case as slow as possible) when you start so don't have to breathe so hard you look like you're hyperventilating. You can get faster later. I aimed for a pace that was a sustainable slow job instead of a short run then long walk over and over again. I still breath hard but I'm not gasping for breath like a landed fish.

2. Learn to breath properly while running. I'm not an expert but I know that if on each exhale my right foots hits the ground, I'm getting a stitch in my side. I had to mix up what foot lands on what breath, and how to slow my breathing.

3. Iron - this doesn't apply to most people but I'm anemic and went through a good 25 years of life thinking I was just the kind of person who would never be able to run. Once I found out I was anemic and needed to supplement iron, I was no longer short of breath and felt like a freaking super hero. Even being a little low and not drastically anemic makes it hard to run. I still jog at some people's walking pace but I can jog.

4. And lastly, I realized that I don't work out well with traditional "pump up" workout music. The only time I tolerate instrumental, zen-like music is when I lift and when I run. It allows me to lose track of the time and really enjoy what my body can do. Driving in traffic is when I bust out the pump up music. :) If you're not feeling music, books on tape or interactive apps (zombie run) are great.

Oh, and one more "lastly" - know that running on the street/dirt path/etc is harder than on a treadmill. If you run on a treadmill for a couple of weeks and then hit the neighborhood, don't be discouraged if you can't preform the same way.