Quitting smoking

Options
Anyone here quit smoking cold turkey? I am on day 8 and it's been a Rollercoaster so far... Looking for some encouragement and motivation to help stay strong and know that it will get better!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey for me! It has been thirty years since I stopped. 8 days is great! Keep going, it gets easier everyday.
  • corrinesheffy1027
    corrinesheffy1027 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, it's really motivating to hear from others who have succeeded!
  • ringmiami
    ringmiami Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey over a year ago
    Best decision I ever made. 8 days is amazing!! You can do this you've already come so far.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I feel your struggle. I switched to vaping. I know it's not much better, but it helps me.
  • conker6g9holla
    conker6g9holla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I switch to vape too, it’s been 3 months your doing good. Take focused
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    3 years ago I quit smoking cold turkey and never looked back. I used one trick though - I decided to give up smoking only for a period of 40 days (for the Lent). When I saw I can do without smoking, I just continued my non smoking streak :) It was such a boost in my self confidence!

You are doing great, 8 days is awesome! For me most of the crises happen during that first week. Later it has become much easier, I had few temptation now and then during first few months, but nothing as strong as in that first week.
    After few months I completely forgot that I had ever been smoking :)
  • corrinesheffy1027
    Options
    Thanks for all the info and encouragement everyone!! Up to 12 days so far, taking it one day at a time
  • betseyjane
    betseyjane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 6 months ago. It wasn't easy the first few weeks, but man am I SO glad that I did it. I am 110% sure that I will never put another cigarette in my mouth again. Besides the 10 pounds I gained, I feel amazing! Keep going - it only gets easier. I couldn't tell you the last time that I had a craving.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I set my quit date for Easter. I quit once for 1.5 years. I started changing my eating habits and exercise on February 13th. Now it's time to fix my smoking habit. I wasn't going to give up all my vices at once. I quit drinking Mt. Dew which I love, now going to quit smoking. Good luck to you.
  • gavini55
    gavini55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cold turkey 6 days 3 hours and 18 minutes ago so I am about 10 days behind you.

Last night I had a dream with all kinds of stuff going on and at one point I take the dog for a walk and I had a cigarette. Half way through the cigarette I suddenly realized that I had quit smoking and forgotten and thus ahd just messed up my quiting streak, I was a little ticked and then I said "oh well" and finished it. Crazy dream, anyone experience anything similar?
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    8 days is amazing! I am currently trying to quit smoking and thinking of different ways to replace smoking. I am brushing my teeth when the urge hits, and also trying a hypnosis app on my phone. Good luck and keep reminding yourself why you are quitting!!
  • dsum143
    dsum143 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done you. It’s so hard giving up smoking and I think those going cold turkey are amazing. I have been smokeless for 48 days today although I did replace with vaping but have also cut back on nicotine to zero in the last 10 days. Keep it up x
  • corrinesheffy1027
    Options
    Congrats to everyone on this journey!! I have made it 18 days smoke free as of today! I gave had crazy dreams where I smoke and then realized I had quit and get upset with myself but they are just dreams thank goodness lol I've also been using apps for quitting smoking which have been a big help!
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking cold turkey for two years (2012-2014). And I was the kind of gal who couldn't stand the mental panic of not having cigarettes in the house. Then started again. And here I am trying to quit again. Had a 5-day break when I wanted to quit December 1st, had a 2-day break when I wanted to quit January 1st. Yes, I know April 1st is Fool's day.

18 days makes you out of the very bad woods. It never really goes away for some (my mom has cravings sometimes after 20 non-smoker years) but at least it gets better. Especially if you start disliking the smell of smoke (unlike me).
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm at day 12! Haven't lost any weight despite tracking my calories and increasing my time at the gym but I am finding myself pretty bloated
  • SteveinChicago
    SteveinChicago Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't fall off the wagon, but remember if you do the same principle applies with smoking as it does to healthy eating: Don't let one bad day turn into a pattern or make you give up. If you bum a smoke from someone it doesn't mean you haven't quit -- just don't do it again. If you buy a pack and regret it after the first cigarette, throw the other 19 away. There's nothing magic about a streak, you have to keep not smoking for a while then it'll just feel natural. This thread is a month old so hopefully you're already there.
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 5 years ago. 8 days is awesome, every day will get easier. Things I did? Cleaned, vacuumed, washed my car inside and out, new air freshener. Nothing like a clean, fresh smelling car! Put the money you spend on cigarettes away and but something awesome for yourself. As for the cravings, I used sunflower seeds with the shells to keep my mouth and hands busy. I love the ranch flavored ones. Also, in the natural foods grocery store they have tea tree and cinnamon flavored bamboo toothpicks that kept me busy. Whenever I craved, I read my pros/cons list of quitting smoking. Best of luck, you got this!
  • Easy_Does_It
    Easy_Does_It Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey coming on 13 months. My advice and what worked for me was chewing gum. Tons and tons of it. Take one day at a time, before you know it, you won't even care for it anymore. Good luck to you.
  • ibarrarocio93
    ibarrarocio93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker myself but from seeing and knowing people who have quit its just a matter of hanging in there. It's ok if you slip up, you are human and shouldn't beat yourself up about it just as long as you get right back on track. Stay busy, stay motivated. Keep in mind the reasons why you want to quit. Chew gum, have some healthy snacks. Set goals and reward yourself, for example every 5 days you go without smoking use that money on something nice for yourself :)