Anyone have a partner that likes to eat junk food with you?

Options
hbratset
hbratset Posts: 28 Member
Help! My husband is amazing, but he loves to drink beer, and eat candy while we watch TV. He thinks it's so fun to do this, and he is in really great shape... me, not so much. He loves it when I partake with him even though he knows that I am trying to cut down. He overall is very supportive of me trying to be healthier, but just loves those cozy evenings. If you have a similar situation, how have you handled the temptation, and where do you find the willpower??

Replies

• LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    I started by swapping to lower calorie treats. So -

My wife has a bowl of icecream with a bit of cake soaked in rum .. I have bowl halo top with a banana
    My wife has a glass of wine .. I have a vanilla coke zero in a wine glass
    My wife has popcorn covered in sugar and fat .. I have plain popcorn

eventually you get over the need to comply with social pressure and the need to feed as soon as the TV comes on and now we are quite happy sitting there, my wife with a 400kcal dessert and me with an espresso

even more eventually, my wife now eats less and less after dinner in front of the tv, treats are now only 50% of time.

Couples do have a affinity to copy each other .. you just need to become the dominant force and see if he eventually cuts down .... but ultimately, its about letting go of the "need" to feed, only eat if you are hungry, make better choices and accept that you are allowed to eat something different from him

This is they way it works with us...DVD night normally involves "goodies" but while he has a tube of Pringles I'll have plain popcorn, pretzels or lighter calorie crisps. He doesn't drink alcohol which means I'll leave it too but if I want some I'll have a couple of small glasses of red wine (I buy the little bottles which serve up two small glasses) or some alcohol free fizz (which isn't too bad tbh)

But I always log it in my diary even if it does take me over my limit for the day.
  • hbratset
    hbratset Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys! Great ideas here. Really appreciate the insight! :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    We get fun-size and individually portioned snacks so we aren't mindlessly eating while we Netflix. A 55-cal bag of gummy bears or 70-cal frozen M&Ms and some popcorn doesn't set me back much, and I don't always partake. I also sometimes opt for tea or a small instant hot chocolate (~100 calories) instead.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Find a snack you like that fits your calories or save enough calories for the same thing he wants.
    Ask him to have stuff he likes that you don't like much.
    Start a new habit like drinking a cup of tea or keeping your hands busy with crafts or something.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Before he started working out and decided he wanted to eat healthier, I used tell him to dont offer me any or try to get me to "have just a taste". I told him I wasn't going to pressure him into eating healthy with me, but to not try to push me to eat bad with him. There were times when I would just go to our bedroom with my cup of of tea while he watched tv in the living room eating junk or having some dessert before bed, I was fine with that as I'm not a big tv watcher anyway. I would tell him to meet me in the room for cuddles after he was done eating lol.

I have two boys ages 5 and 11, so I deal with temptation more because i also buy them cookies and some sugary snacks, but I've learned to deal with temptation and just focus on my overall goal.