Scale keeps giving different weights

Options
tlross93
tlross93 Posts: 3 Member
I have been using my scale in the same place in my bedroom for the last couple of months but the numbers didn’t change. I’ve gone down a couple of pants sizes so I know I’ve definitely lost weight. I took my scale down to my garage where the ground is concrete (the floor in my room is wood) and on concrete it showed a much lower number. Does anyone have any tips on how to find my accurate weight?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing the batteries?

Choose one place and keep the scale there. Going down in pants size doesn't necessarily mean a huge amount of weight loss either, it can sometime be down to recomposition.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Different floors will affect the scale - keep scale in same room/place.
    If you use a trending weight app and record your scale readings in time you'll see a truer reflection of your weight as you'll have all the data there to show that.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Put in fresh batteries, choose one permanent location for the scale, and then you should able to track lbs lost.

I found d my scale showed me as 3 lbs lower in the guest room, but it is more convenient to keep the scale in my bedroom., so that is where it stays. I really just want to see lbs lost, the actual weight is not as important to me right now.
  • JoJidJude
    JoJidJude Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Always set your scale on a hard surface, I find using a scale on a soft surface (even with carpet feet) doesn't provide a constant reading. I use a piece of hardboard a little bigger than my scales and 1 inch thick, then put my scales on and weigh, I can literally move them anywhere level and get the same read out each time 3/3 (yes, I actually get on and off 3 times to ensure read it correct! :smile: )
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The two major attributes to look for in a measuring device are accuracy and consistency. Some inexpensive scales are fairly accurate, and you can gauge the accuracy by weighing yourself clothed just before a doctor visit then weighing yourself at the doctor's office. That will tell you how "off" the measurements are (the scales at the doctor's office will be more accurate). Also, some inexpensive scales are more consistent than others, and the less consistent ones are more affected by where you put your feet.

My last bathroom scale wasn't very consistent or accurate. I found this out when I didn't believe the weight and reweighed myself. I found that I could reweigh myself multiple times and get several different answers. I ditched that scale and based on Amazon reviews, purchased an EatSmart Precision Digital ($20 USD), which has proven to be both accurate and reliable for me.

I also track my weight with an iPhone trending app, Happy Scale. It's a huge help in smoothing out the data and showing the real weight trend. There are similar programs available for Android phones and PCs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It needs to be on a hard, even surface.
  • Lanie2012
    Lanie2012 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My scale will always have the first measurement be at least 2 lbs. higher than the 2nd measurement. I think because it's cold on my bedroom floor where I keep it. So I routinely weigh myself 3 times. If the last 2 times match then that's the weight I record, it usually matches but now it's a habit to do it 3 times, lol.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm very (probably overly) pedantic when it comes to my bathroom scale placement =). I actually have 4 specific tiles that each foot of the scale sits on and it doesn't move a millimetre.

If I bump it or have to move it to change the batteries or whatnot I make sure that the scale ends up back on the exact same 4 tiles.

Even then the readings can fluctuate. I'll way myself a few times in a row and it'll show a small variance of a few hundred grams. Even something as simple as leaning slightly forward and having my weight on balls of my feet will give me a different weight than if I'm leaning a little further back on my heals so I try to keep a constant posture too.