Let's Talk Poop

Options
Okay, at the risk of getting a bit graphic here, I need some advice.
Since I've started really watching what I eat and everything, I've noticed I'm having a hard time..um...going 2. I don't know if I'm not getting enough fiber or what the deal is but it is hard, no pun intended.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    When I started watching what I ate, I found I was a lot less frequent, and with a high protein diet it can get a big hard. I now eat a lot of fruit, and drink a lot of water, but it's still only once every two or three days
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Probiotics and fermented food and drink have always been my friend! Haven't had a back end plumbing problem for several years!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I take a probiotic, digestive enzyme, and magnesium daily to help with this issue. I still have trouble sometimes. There are weeks that I'm backed up for 2-3 days. I have a "smooth move" tea that helps; drink it before dinner and hopefully have a movement next morning(don't schedule anything too early) or take Dr. Schulze's formula one at dinner with water.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I take a probiotic, digestive enzyme, and magnesium daily to help with this issue. I still have trouble sometimes. There are weeks that I'm backed up for 2-3 days. I have a "smooth move" tea that helps; drink it before dinner and hopefully have a movement next morning(don't schedule anything too early) or take Dr. Schulze's formula one at dinner with water.

I second the magnesium (Natural Calm), and have the smooth move tea, but have only used that a couple of times. I'm generally really regular, but I do find that when I'm eating less, I go less often. Makes sense though if you have less food in your system.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    eat fruit. :D
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    increase plants/ fiber and water intake. also colace or any other stool softener will def help. mayb eat some grapes to help theings move along a little more smoothly ;)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your diet is but I know a lot of people approach dieting by avoiding all fat and if you avoid all fat you are going to have issues with constipation. Not sure if that is your case or not but if it is just add some fat to your diet, some fat is a good thing.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon. For a while I had to supplement with magnesium citrate. That helped. Worst-case I took some miralax. Ultimately I was Vitamin D deficient and needed more fat and calories in my diet (I was eating pretty low, sometimes netting into 1000-1100 territory). Upped it a bit, still lost weight, and felt MUCH better. I started running pretty regularly last summer and that pretty much solved my "can't go" problem.
  • MishellKay
    MishellKay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the probiotics, fiber in it's natural form (fruits and veggies) and plenty of water. I also have been known to drink slightly warmed water in the morning (before eating or drinking anything) which gets things on the move within minutes for me!
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Go for a relaxing walk (if you don't already) at some point during the day. Helps gets things moving.
  • carasnewlife
    carasnewlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I find avocados helpful. And pears too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Drinking even more water and getting more exercise have been the biggest helps to me.

I also used to eat A LOT of raw baby spinach (like several cups of it each day with my lunch) and it seemed to cause problems for me with constipation, even though I thought it would have the opposite effect. Maybe just keep track of what you have been eating when you have problems with this and adjust accordingly.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    One old time remedy is prune juice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Usually, the keys are enough fiber, fat, and water.

However, if you've recently started eating more fiber but aren't well-hydrated it can bind you up a little. In that case, try drinking a little more, cut your fiber back, and then increase it gradually.

Good, good, good advice. Exercise and probiotic foods (kefir, natural yogurt, sauerkraut, fermented pickles, etc.) are potential adjuncts.

Around here, fat is the high-probability bet.
  • whocares2018
    whocares2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Increase the fruit and veggies. I eat a lot veggies and trust me my system is good! But that’s how my body works..everyone is different. Make sure to drink water!
  • Jermanator
    Jermanator Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fresh-- either homemade or store bought sauerkraut-- just make sure it hasn't been Pasteurized, gets things going for me. Between the bacteria, fiber, and the salt that pulls water into your gut, the results can be dramatic. Kim-chi will do the same thing. I also track my fiber along with my macros.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    No mention of coffee, yet? I understand it doesn't work for everyone, but it's low-risk. I'd try it before pill supplements. Fiber, fat and water. Someone mentioned running - a little exercise to wake up the lower intestine is a good plan, too. Doesn't have to be running - a brisk walk should help. After the coffee, but maybe don't stray too far from the bathroom.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Cup of warm water in the morning has been known to help. Prunes or prune juice. Grapes. I’ve also stopped peeling most of the vegetables I eat. I just wash them well.