Comfort food without the guilt !

Options
lalonmeg000
lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
thought maybe we could start a thread that is for sharing recipes of how everyone has made their favorite comfort food a little healthier. I need some new recipes before the cravings take over! I will start...oh and anything goes, breakfast,lunch, snacks desserts etc and any level of preparation

Hot dog and fries (a favorite summer time meal)

Jennie-O Turkey dog vs regular hot dog
Natures Own Whole grain no sugar added bun (yep most buns have added sugar!)
Hormel Turkey chili no beans 1/4 cup
Sweet potato fries: I am sure you can get them frozen but so much better to
Make them! Simple cut the SP into fries, drizzle olive oil on them, pinch of sea salt and in the oven they go at 350 !

This meal is only 317 calories !!! A saving of 346 calories using beef and regular fries. That is more savings than what you are eating ! Super fantastic.

So that one is pretty simple, but I am also tired and typing on my phone lol I will post more later, but in the mean time....Do you have any recipes to sav calories but still feel like you are enjoying your favorite meal ?

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any at the moment, just curious how long the SP fries stay in the oven :)
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have one miracle meal I have switched but here are some small things I have done to make my meals a little more healthy
    switching and extra egg white in replace of one egg yolk in scrambled eggs or omletes
    switching my pastas to whole grain
    replacing sugary alcholholic drinks with vodka club soda and a fresh squeezed lemon
    replacing yummy ice cream treats wth the mini versions
    making as much as I can from scratch
    grilling my meats as much as possible
    I love sweet potato fries too!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I am not a sweets person but now and then i'll want chocolate. I always go for chocolate cheerios, or my new quick fix is coco roasted almonds.

I'm more of a sub person myself and crave them often. I go to subway and get a veggie sub with honey mustard and the provolone cheese (but i ask them to cut some of the innards out of the sub roll to cut calories. And a 6" is usually about 230 calories.
  • lalonmeg000
    Options
    It varies on the oven and how you like your fries, they will turn a brown and burnt orange color when done, poke them with a fork to check the center. Probably about 15-20 min. I would say. You can also season them will a little dill and they are to die for !!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple quick ones. I use bean vermicelli instead of pasta in spaghetti, I also use it in my stir fry and now add spinach and green pepper to my sauce (I never used to).
    When I get a sub at Subway I make sure that they put the meat on the top and I rip the whole top of the bun off lol! I look like a bit of an idiot but when I get a footlong sub I only get a 6 inch worth of bread :bigsmile:
    That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll add more if I think of more!
  • sumjoy
    sumjoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think I'll have homemade sweet potato fries for lunch! Yum!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Pizza made on Whole Wheat English Muffins!
  • lalonmeg000
    Options
    rachel- that's a good idea! I will have to try that soon!

anyone else have any good recipes of your fav food, and how you made it guilt free?
  • Kahlagrace
    Options
    Thats a awesome idea!! Who would have thought!!
  • PuddinBelly
    Options
    Oh good lord yes!
  • Karenfuse123
    Options
    What would be a serving size for the sweet potatoe fries? I am curious how many I could have for how many calories?
  • lalonmeg000
    Options
    What would be a serving size for the sweet potatoe fries? I am curious how many I could have for how many calories?

if you go by the oz, and oz of sweet potato baked is 25 calories. If you go by size a medium potato, which they say is 5in long and 2in diameter, is 103 cals for the entire thing uncooked. I usually use half the potato for fries and the other half for a baked potato for the next day, so about 51 calories or so.