A college student looking to improve herself

Options
I've struggled with weight all my life. Growing up I played 3 sports so I held it at bay. Now I'm in college and it has caught up to me. I'm ready to lose it and start feeling better again!

Replies

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!! What's your height and weight? Are you using a food scale to measure intake? If you're not buy one.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    good for you! Does your college have a gym? Use it while you can use it for free. And if you have a wellness center on campus you may have access to a nutritionist.
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you're moving less definitely track your food on here for a while to get a sense of how much you should be eating now. A food scale is very helpful to learn correct portion sizes. I found recording absolutely everything I ate normally for a few weeks and adjusting a little bit at a time from there was what worked for me when I first started.

All the junk food and alcohol I was consuming during college definitely caught up to me. I learned to anticipate when I'd be stressed (midterms and finals!!) and make sure I was prepped with healthy choices instead of turning to ben and jerry's. Hanging out with people that had similar health goals as I did helped me resist temptation when other friends were hitting up the snack section every night (I'm not always so good at moderation so I have to avoid certain foods). Whatever you can do to make healthy options the easy option will go a long way when things get hectic.

Try joining a club or group that does casual sports or some sort of activity. I did archery and played quidditch in college and had a lot of fun plus upped my activity level. Take study breaks to walk around campus when spending long hours in the library. If you have the units, I found signing up for PE classes like dance was also awesome and had the added benefit of being unable to skip if you wanted to pass. Sometimes it feels like there is no time for physical activity but I know it always made me feel better to move when I had the chance, so even 5 minutes of walking is better than nothing.

Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Let's hear your Battle Plan. Good luck!
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Well done taking action and getting on here! That's already a big step to improving your life. Since you are in college I would reccomend keeping track of your alcohol intake. You don't need to get shitfaced 3 days/week, and jusr reducing alcohol- and midnightpizza calories can do a lot ;)