I've gained .2lb in a week?

Options
Last week I weighed in at 112lb and this morning I weighed in at 112.2lb. Why is this? I just want to make sure I'm doing this properly, could someone take a look at my diary?

When I exercise I usually do it for 15-20 minutes on my elliptical then another 10-15 minutes later on throughout the day. I've heard you don't begin to burn fat after 14 minutes so could this possibly be why? I do 4 sets of 300 jumping jacks a day too.

I've been going inbetween having 1100 - 1500 calories a day. Last week I lost 2.8lb so I dunno if this is a "plateau".

Replies

• jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Could be water, could be hormonal, could be muscle. Just keep a close eye on your diet and you should equalize soon.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There was a blog someone wrote about "if you follow the scale you will fail" or something, and it basically said your body will fluctuate througout the day and weeks. He said he cut a string and put it around the biggest part of his stomach and as long as the string showed him getting smaller he never worried about what the scale said. I wish I could find that post!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates for a large number of reasons. I don't try to understand it anymore, just keep doing the right things and I know that eventually it will go down.

The week before last I weighed in pretty much the same the whole week, lost about half a lb. The past week I lost about 9 lbs for no apparent reason. In 3 days I lost almost 5lbs last week. I guess its just he way the body works, one day it retains more then others then it releases, then in a few days it retains again and releases again.

The key is not to let yourself get affected by these fluctuations on the scale and keep focused on your goals and your intake. If you have a deficit, eventually you'll lose weight. Make sure you have the portions calculated correctly, weigh everything you eat so that you have the exact amount, 10g of almonds more can mean 100 calories more, so weigh everything.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    0.2 is nothing to worry about. Next week you could drop 1.2 pounds. So just keep on trucking and worry more about the average in a month.
  • MariPars
    MariPars Posts: 52
    Options
    Keep in mind .2 is a TINY fraction of an amount. Thats not necessarily a gain....its more than likely just water. If youre doing everything right which it sounds like you are I wouldn't worry.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    If you are 112 pounds, you have to be pretty close to your ideal weight, so weight will come off much more slowly at this point - if you dropped 2.8 pounds in one week, that's pretty significant and more than one would expect at this low weight (0.5-1 pound/week is much more realistic), so your body is just probably normalizing and adjusting this week. A fluctuation of 0.2 pounds essentially means you stayed the same, which I would expect after a big drop. Just keep doing what you're doing, maybe increase the exercise to 45-60 minutes most days.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate up to seven pounds in a DAY depending on your monthly cycle, how much water you have retained, how much sodium you've consumed, the weather, etc... this is why weighing daily can play with your head at times. Weighing in weekly or bi-weekly gives your body time to adjust to the exercise you're doing or the way you're eating. As well, be sure to take measurements and gauge how your clothes are fitting - this is more telling than the number you see on the scale! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't panic about such a small change - it's probably just a normal fluctuation and is certainly not a plateau.
    Keep eating well (not too little, not too much) and exercising regularly and you will see results.
  • charsauce
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day! The most accurate time to weigh in is in the morning! After doing your business (assuming you do when you wake up. haha) even then, it could be slightly off. I gave up trying to understand the scale. I just focus on measurements and noticeable in the mirror differences. Scale does nothing for me.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    2 is such measly little number. Don't even give it a second thought. In a day my weight will fluctuate by 5 whole pounds.