Bariatric surgery support group

Options
Hello Everyone.
I would like to create a support group for people going through bariatric surgery. I myself am getting a gastric sleeve. I am a 27 year old woman, who gained a lot of weight on some medication and haven't been able to lose it off. According to a lot of research and statistics, if your BMI is over 40, sustainable weight lose is very unlikely. However, there is a lot of negativity associated with surgery. This is a safe place to discuss our journey to getting healthy. I have three months to go before surgery, and am looking for some friends. Whether you are in the beginning of the process like me, and need advice,
or have already progressed, I would love to hear from you. Thanks, and welcome.

Replies

• moulia
    moulia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much :)
  • _yulianaxo
    _yulianaxo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Yuliana I’m 22 y/o and I’m also looking into bariatric surgery! I already spoke w/the surgeon and we agreed that the sleeve would be best for me. I would love to hear your experiences and where you are in your WLS journey. Also I’m 5’1 and 246.6 lbs. surgeon wants me to be 221 lbs day of surgery.
  • Nataly185
    Nataly185 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Jessie 32 just had wls 2 months ago.
    Feel free to add me
  • staypuffstedman
    staypuffstedman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just had mine done last week feel free to add me also
  • NightOwl7777
    NightOwl7777 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi I am on the pathways program and need to lose 10% before they will go to panel and decide if I can have the surgery later this year. I have been told I am the right candidate and have lost 6% so far since Jan. Things have slowed down last few weeks but I am definitely going to get to my goal so I can get the go ahead. I would love to add anyone on this road too. Thanks for the group suggestion.
  • crochetmerlot58
    crochetmerlot58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery in 2001 and did very well. I lost 230lbs. Unfortunately in the last 7 to 8 years I've gained back 100 lbs but I totally support the surgery. It's my fault I gained it back the surgery works as long as you do what they say for the first couple months after the surgery. Certain things you can't have for several weeks. I had to put my food in food processor for 6 to 8 weeks before eating solid food, but then again that was 17yrs ago so maybe things have changed. I'll support anyone who wants to do it. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck.
  • islandantoinette
    islandantoinette Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aloha everyone I am new here, I did the post under Newbies I am going to go read all the comments here now.

Aloha, I am getting ready for bariatric surgery. Have to loose 17 lbs. now. Also for 2 WEEKS Before SURGERY I HAVE TO have ONLY liquid meal replacements, They recommend Premier Protein shakes, Due to the high protein content. However after reading the sugar replacement it is a BIG NO for me. So it appears the best alternative is to buy a whey powder with as much nutrient content in it as compared to Premier Protein shakes WITHOUT THE ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER CHEMICAL.
    CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANY FOR ME TO START WITH? PLEASE I can’t do Soy I became “allergic” to it my 15 yrs. as a vegetarian and soy was EVERYTHING.
    PLEASE HELP ME WE HAVE NO WHOLE FOODS AROUND HERE OR TRADER JO’S. YEAH I KNOW CRAZY HUH?

One more thing that really grossed me out about the ingredients in these pre packaged shakes is the Sunflower OIL!!
    I have never USED ANY OIL BUT OLIVE FOR CENTURIES I AM 64. I ALSO AM DIABETIC. Why would you put Sunflower Oil in a Health and DIET shake???? Thank You Antoinette Jackson :)
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fat is a necessary part of a healthy diet - just like sugar, carbs and sodium.

Have you considered going to a registered dietitian for solid diet advice? (Not a nutritionist because there's no accreditation for that - I can say I am and I have no formal training.)

I drink Muscle Milk chocolate flavored drink when I have shakes - 160 calories for 25 grams of protein. It's dairy free and tasty. There's a light version too.

Best of success in your surgery prep and post surgery recovery!
  • 1vetter
    1vetter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a gastric sleeve 3 months ago and I’ve lost 60lbs.
    My biggest struggle right now is controlling how fast I eat and when to actually stop eating. I usually feel sick after eating but I’m not sure if it’s because I ate too much.

Also, how do you manage to get in all of your liquids? I barely drink a water bottle a day.. unless I feel super dehydrated.