Need Pilates Mat Referrals!

I've recently decided to (although counting my burned calories!) concentrate less on cardio and calories burned and concentrate more on muscle definition and have been doing pilates. Problem is: hardwood floors. I would liken the feeling to someone stabbing my hips and knees. I've realized I need some sort of padding, and although I would love to do it on a tempurpedic bed I doubt that would be useful to the workout!
With so many options out there, I am reaching to you kind people to steer me right. You weren't wrong about Polar, loving my new HRM (ft60) so far. What I've read is that 1/2 in thick should be minimum... but beyond that..... what do you guys use? I don't see myself sticking with it, or doing the exercises correctly without one.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    I'm in Aus - so the specific mat is useless to you but maybe it will help in terms of what to look for - as I had exactly the same gripe as you and this is the mat I now have and it is brilliant.

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/product_detail.aspx?id=16725&cat=383

ps - I don't know about the states but as you can see - the good ones are not cheap but I think the $ are well spent. I did try a cheaper 1/2in simple yoga mat first up & it was next to useless.

Cheers
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Hi there,

I suffer with regular yoga mats. I had even resorted to using two! How dorky! Anyway, now I got a pretty thick mat made by Empower. It is so cushy! I wonder how I did pilates for this mat! Good luck! If all else fails, just keep stacking the mats! Worst case, you could get those foam puzzle pieces they use in daycares, and then add your pilates mat over it!

Best of luck to you!
  • italianissima
    I know I JUST responded, but I forgot to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mari Winsor pilates. I have a a few of her DVDs and I think her approach is effective and doesn't give me any pain. She tends to do shorter videos, but don't let that put you off. Try her, you may become a fan, too!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    JADE! I've tried a lot of mats and my Jade is by far the best. They come standard length (I'm short so this is what I got) and longer length. It is a bit expensive around $60 but, not the most expensive by any means. It is worth every cent.

A few reviews complained about smell so as soon as I got it I unrolled it and hung it outside for a day or so. I never noticed a strong smell.
  • Thanks.
    Funny thing is: my friend suggested those puzzle piece things for my new to become "fitness room". I don't mind spending good money on good product, that won't need replacing after a few months. I've had experience with buyer's remorse and know now that doing it the old way just means I waste the amount of money I spent on the cheap thing. You get what you pay for. I'll look those up and hopefully there's a store nearby where I can get one so I can suffer no longer! Sheesh, I thought carpet would be enough. :)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Thanks.
    Funny thing is: my friend suggested those puzzle piece things for my new to become "fitness room". I don't mind spending good money on good product, that won't need replacing after a few months. I've had experience with buyer's remorse and know now that doing it the old way just means I waste the amount of money I spent on the cheap thing. You get what you pay for. I'll look those up and hopefully there's a store nearby where I can get one so I can suffer no longer! Sheesh, I thought carpet would be enough. :)

I did a lot of research before getting my Jade because I had been through so many bad ones. It's great because it's thick enough for pilates as well and it's environmentally friendly. Got mine at a yoga studio but, I think you can call the company to find a distributor near you or order from them or amazon online.
  • italianissima
    I can't wait to hear what your solution ends up being!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I am glad to hear you like the Jade mat. Which thickness/model do you have? They seem to range in price from $60 - $120.

I also have hardwood floors and have been looking for a good thick Pilates mat. Cheapo ones are probably fine for yoga, but my poor hips when I do any work on my side doing Pilates! I was eyeballing the Jade mats due to good reviews online. I have seen them for sale online at REI and Amazon.com.

Edited because I just thought of this: I take a Pilates class once a week and they provide mats that are cushy and don't hurt my hips (and they have hardwood floors). I am going to ask what brand they are and investigate it a bit online.