Possible I'm losing weight but then gaining it back in muscle?

Options
shaneharley
shaneharley Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Over the winter i've put on a few pounds and decided that I want to lose a bit, and start building a bit of muscle. I don't have much upper strength, and don't have a lot of weight to lose. I weight 178lb, and am a 6ft 27 year old male. Would love to get down to 163lb and build some muscle.

What I'm wondering, is that I'm doing about 30mins cardio (high intensity) and then a variety of weights. Is it possible that I won't actual see any weight coming off the scales, because what I'm losing is being made up by muscle gains? I've read a few articles but can't find anything clear.

For what it's worth as well, i'm sitting at about a 1000 calorie deficit per day

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Unless you are an obese newbie, it's nearly impossible to gain substantial muscle while eating at a deficit. Also, 1000 calorie deficit per day is very high for someone with so little weight to lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but with that large of a deficit and being at a healthy weight already probably unlikely.

How long have you been in a deficit/lifting?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Very unlikely
  • shaneharley
    Options
    Hmm interesting, that's kind of what I thought. Am I doing any harm keeping the 1000cal deficit whilst still doing some weights until I lose the weight, and then bringing my deficit up?

The losing weight is probably more important to me at this stage than building muscle (let's just say some of my clothes are a little tight) haha.

I've only been doing this 2 weeks now
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can lose first then gain muscle later. But I would recommend no more than 500 calorie a day deficit for someone at your weight - it's just all around easier on your body. Keep lifting to preserve your muscle.

You might not see a scale loss immediately after starting a new exercise program because your muscles will retain water for repairs. Just keep going and it will sort itself out.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Very unlikely. But you can gain some minimal muscle as newbie lifter these taper down and what you are left with is being able to 'maintain' muscle mass as you continue to lose weight.

Several things: you need ample protein in your diet, follow a progressive overload strength training program and not too aggressive deficit.

If you go 3-4 weeks of not losing at 1000 deficit something is off. If its been less than this give it more time. Eta Reconsider the 1000 deficit this is too aggressive with only 15 pounds to lose.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting
  • shaneharley
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! What it sounds like I'll be best off doing is raising my deficit to 500, whilst still doing weights to maintain as much muscle as possible whilst I'm losing the weight. Then when I get close to my ideal weight i'll raise to a surplus?
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! What it sounds like I'll be best off doing is raising my deficit to 500, whilst still doing weights to maintain as much muscle as possible whilst I'm losing the weight. Then when I get close to my ideal weight i'll raise to a surplus?

Sounds like a much better plan!