Can you help my bland black bean burgers?

Options
sbro32
sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
I’m not a good cook. But! Lately I’ve found some success with very easy, low ingredient recipes. But I’m struggling with getting the spices right. I made these burgers with one can of black beans, a packet of instant oats and an egg. Added some garlic powder, pepper and salt, and they came out almost tasteless. They were so easy I hate to give up on them. How much spice do you guys use? Any tips?

Replies

• Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Try cumin (up to 1 tsp), cayenne (up to 1 tbsp), and/or chili powder (up to 1 tbsp). (This is how much I would use but feel free to play around it - Good luck!)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't make my own veggie burgers and my husband is the main cook in our house...but when I buy the premade black bean burgers I always like to eat them with a lot of onion and some brown mustard. Really good. Maybe those would help your homemade ones too.

I know my husband works magic with Worcestershire sauce sometimes so that is an idea to add as well (added to the mixture when making the burgers).
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Add hot sauce
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I buy garlic in little jars that sit in my fridge and last a long time. Adding real garlic will bump up the flavor. Add in onion powder (more than you think you need but not a lot), Italian seasoning (a lot), red pepper (some), and maybe a bit of smoked paprika (not a lot).
  • fit502014
    fit502014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In a tiny bit of oil, fry a chopped onion over medium until it starts turning brown. Add garlic (optional), pepper, salt, if you can handle heat add a chopped cayenne or a little Cayenne powder. Add your beans and oats. egg after it cools. Finely chopped fresh cilantro. The onion and cilantro make a vast difference!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I use the premade ones from the freezer aisle. I put Swiss and provolone cheese, ketchup ( yes I'm American lol) Mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles , onions. I think it tastes great!
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I would add 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, 2 tablespoons ground flax, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon pepper, plus about 1/3 cup of coriander leaves, and probably about half an onion, finely diced and (optional) chilli as well. (oh, I don't use egg - all those sauces help to bind everything together, but a coating in flour can help with that too). You can also experiment with adding things like BBQ sauce if u like that.
  • DanielleFayeS
    DanielleFayeS Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    I like serious eats because they sometimes break down how they make their recipes https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-the-best-black-bean-burgers.html These are the first black bean burgers I ever tried to make and I thought they were good. (I am a decent cook so I swapped some ingredients.)
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'd add some finely diced onions first and some jarred garlic (a lot, like a whole teaspoon full of both). I put dried Thyme and a generic "Mrs. Dash" type seasoning in almost everything I cook, so add some of that, then for a black bean burger, I'd probably add a good amount (shake shake shake) premixed "Cajun" or "Caribbean jerk" McCormick spice or a touch White Pepper (yes it tastes different from black pepper, but it's potent so be careful!), some cumin (depending on how "southwestern" I wanted it to taste, as cumin is the primary flavor that's associated with tacos and chili), and if I went that route, I'd also add a big spoonful of salsa, or if I didn't want to go "southwestern" with it, maybe some Sage (sage is the primary spice in southern style breakfast sausage and thanksgiving stuffing). If you're new to herbs and spices, some basics every kitchen needs (beyond salt and black pepper) are: garlic (the stuff in a jar is far better than dried), white pepper, thyme, sage, cumin, chili powder, oregano, cajun seasoning, old bay seasoning (so good on baked or broiled fish!), rosemary, ginger powder, nutmeg, a good multi-seasoning of the Mrs. Dash variety, and of course, cinnamon. With those, you can get almost any typical American flavor. "Italian" is the oregano and thyme, "thanksgiving dinner" is the thyme, rosemary and the sage, "southwestern" is the cumin, chili, and garlic. To get "quiche" flavor you'd use garlic and nutmeg. Nutmeg is also a spice you'd associate with apple pie or pumpkin pie alongside the cinnamon but it's a surprisingly defining flavor in quiche so if you've never nailed quiche, that's the missing secret ingredient - used sparingly it's really good in savory egg dishes! White pepper goes in anything you need a bit of a depth to but don't want to be super "spicy" (it's hot in a different way, hard to explain, just try it). Cajun or Caribbean jerk go in anything you want to have some kick (they are both very bright "in your face" "hot" flavors). Don't neglect the importance of non-spice/herb seasonings too: lime juice (lime would be good in the black bean burgers too if you wanted southwestern burgers - and if you do that, make some guacamole for a topping, it's just avocado, lime, a touch of garlic and salt!), lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and good old ketchup. Pretty much anything I make with beef has Worcestershire sauce and ketchup in it, even if it's just in the marinade. If you wanted an "asian" twist on your burgers, for example, you could use a little sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, and garlic (and maybe a touch of honey). And after all that, I'm going to give you the "easy out": About quarter to a half of a packet of Lipton french onion soup mix (it also comes in more flavors like onion mushroom). It's a low-class but super easy solution for a lot of recipes lacking "flavor". Keep in mind it will make the sodium level skyrocket so leave out any extra salt and watch your blood pressure ;P !
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Keep as is, add add bacon and cheese to bun before eating! (Sorry, but I had to....I can't imagine life without bacon.)

On your actual question, @eminater is correct that fresh garlic and onion helps a lot. I find that grated carrot and the correct amount of salt in black bean burgers is paramount.

Surprised my sodium and cholesterol levels are perfect since I obviously like bacon and salt.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    1/4 c onion, 1tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp each garlic powder & onion powder, s&p. (I use real garlic though) for my fave recipe!
  • avocardiothyme
    avocardiothyme Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use Ancho-Chile powder :smile: You can find it in the spice section. When I cook I also always use sauteed onion and garlic...then you can add that to the bean mixture.

Cook books that I use:
    1. Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
    https://www.amazon.com/Isa-Does-Amazingly-Delicious-Recipes-ebook/dp/B00F519QAY

2. The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
    https://www.amazon.com/Oh-She-Glows-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/1583335277
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You guys really came through! Thanks so much to each of you. I’ll be putting these tips into practice soon!
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I attended a legume cooking class and we made Cajun bean burgers which had a lot of your ingredients with the addition of mashed baked sweet potato. We ended up freezing 2 and found they were far tastier when we got around to cooking them a week later.kt4fcr6y7p01.jpeg

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    https://runningonrealfood.com/chickpea-veggie-burgers/
    I have made those with chickpeas and the flavor was good. You could try it with black beans.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I attended a legume cooking class and we made Cajun bean burgers which had a lot of your ingredients with the addition of mashed baked sweet potato. We ended up freezing 2 and found they were far tastier when we got around to cooking them a week later.kt4fcr6y7p01.jpeg

The sweet potato sounds like a brilliant idea!

For me, black beans go with cumin, paprika, and lime.
  • sstout02
    sstout02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to make these all the time! Try chili powder, diced onions and peppers I also add corn..yummy
  • rjong
    rjong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh She Glows has an amazing recipe for vegan veggie burgers. So easy to make and they are yummy too.

http://ohsheglows.com/2016/08/31/oh-em-gee-veggie-burgers-from-my-new-cookbook/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I made chickpea burgers not too long ago and the flavour was much improved with a little lemon juice and lemon zest. Onion. Garam Masala. Finely chopped mushrooms.