Trying to gain weight

Options
I recently have been very ill and lost 14lbs and I am extremely underweight because of it. I am unable to eat in the morning and early afternoon due to nausea and dizziness. Medications do not work for my nausea. have tried whey protein but it makes me sick to my stomach, I am lactose intolerant so bad choice I know. Is there any protein powder or anything I can use to gain weight? I have to up my calorie intake.

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I lost tons of weight after a bad crohns flare. What kind of food can you tolerate
  • Leijing
    Leijing Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know that there are soy and rice based protein powders out there. I know my mom used Rice'n'Shine for a while, and I tried it a time or two; the taste wasn't bad. It can be mixed with just about any liquid, though at 70 cal a serving, you might want to try mixing it with juice or a milk substitute.

Sometimes bland foods (applesauce, bananas, rice, etc) can be helpful when your stomach is rebelling, but without knowing what foods you can tolerate, it's hard to make suggestions. Another good thing for filling in nutritional gaps is a good quality bone broth; again, not a lot of calories per serving, but if made right, it can have plenty of other nutrients that you may not be getting from a limited diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I recently have been very ill and lost 14lbs and I am extremely underweight because of it. I am unable to eat in the morning and early afternoon due to nausea and dizziness. Medications do not work for my nausea. have tried whey protein but it makes me sick to my stomach, I am lactose intolerant so bad choice I know. Is there any protein powder or anything I can use to gain weight? I have to up my calorie intake.

Most protein powders are relatively low calorie so I don't think they're really a good option in regards to upping calories to gain weight.

What kinds of foods can you tolerate?
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Since you have to up your calories I would go for fats and carbs (the one you find easiest to eat a lot of) before protein. While you need protein of course, they are very filling and are harder to digest. If you want some good protein sources that makes you less sick I would rather go for meats and fish or egg whites as they tend to be easier to digest. Good luck girl
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Can you handle almond or cashew milk? How about peanut butter? What about casein or a plant based protein powder?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you do like smoothies or similar? milkshakes?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would focus on calorie dense foods that you are able to tolerate.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like spirutein powder. You can mix it with soy or other nut milk (does not work with coconut) and maybe a frozen banana and walnuts. Otherwise, just go for those calorie dense foods.
  • JEOwens84
    JEOwens84 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am also lactose intolerant and I use the Olly Nourishing Protein chocolate smoothie mix from Target. It’s loaded with fruits and veggies and vitamins. I do NOT use it to replace a meal, I have it with a meal or in between meals to help me gain weight. I also add a big spoon of peanut butter and Nesquik (probably not the best idea but it makes it taste better LOL) I hope you start feeling better soon!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I use a complete amino pea protein isolate as I eat a plant based diet. I whizz it up with frozen berries, soy milk, apple juice and half a banana for around 220 calories.
  • AlvinZhen
    AlvinZhen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Trail mix.
    Peanut butter
    Smoothies
    Almonds
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I’m all about the soy. I think Target has a chocolate flavored brand that wasn’t milk protein at all. I wish I could be helpful in remembering the name. It was vegan and it did taste good. I mix all of my powders with soy milk (sensitive but not allergic to cow milk).

It may also help a bit to add Gatorade to any water for extra boosts (shakes all the time get Old for me and fill me up fast and I don’t feel like eating as much).

Feel better soon! You’ve got this.