*insert awkward wave here*

Options
Hello all! I've been on MFP sporadically for quite some time, but recently, I've decided to really commit to it. And it's working! I'm down 13 pounds now after just over a month. Still have a lot to go--I'm trying to get to 140lbs, the highest limit of a "healthy" BMI for me (I know BMI is kind of a garbage measurement, but it's a guide, at least).

My weight loss story... Well, I learned the hard way that anxiety, depression, and college life don't mix very well when it comes to weight gain. I've always been overweight, but I'd never hit anything like 200lbs before. My snacking was out of control and my weight along with it. I started to not be able to fit into my XL clothing, and perish the thought of getting into my size 10 jeans. Now that I'm out of school, I have the time and energy to focus on getting my weight down and trying to be healthier.

I'm focused on science-based ways of losing weight and getting fit (mainly good old CICO). MFP and my food scale are my weapons of choice.

As for my non-weight loss related facts, well, I'm 24 and from Montreal, Canada. Je parles français :smile: I'm a tech nerd, PC gamer, reader, writer, D&D player, and general all-around geek. I suck at social interaction most of the time, but text is easier. I'm on MFP daily and would love to have some motivational friends who I could motivate in return!

Feel free to send me a request :smile:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,982 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome! Good luck on your mission to find healthy.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you’re off to a great start! :smile:
  • Dirkus
    Dirkus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kelsey,
    Welcome back. My best suggestion is to measure and log your food. You might find that you are way off if you are guessing on portions. Once you have retrained your eyes to judge what a correct portion looks like and your body is use to a diet with fewer calories in than calories out your measurement will start to improve.

Try as hard as you can to not skip and not cheat. Also try to figure out why you eat. Are you a stress eater? Do you eat because you are bored? Figure that out an replace it with a healthy habit.

Congratulations on starting this journey at your age. You can do this! Image yourself a year from now. You have decided to take a vacation and there is this night club you want to go to. Only this time you can go because you can rock that dress that you would have never dared to wear before.

Find your own reason for why you want to do this. If you have a big enough reason why you can overcome the obstacles in your path.

No excuses. Just get it done.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is D&D still a thing? Dang. I was rolling those polyhedral dice 40 years ago.
  • Creofan
    Creofan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can do this @kelseypow Remember it is a journey, not a destination.
  • MarkSBarber
    MarkSBarber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow Canadian, I'm Mark from Toronto, feel free to add me
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You can do this :) Please feel free to add me - I am in NewBrunswick. Best wishes for your successful journey.
  • cmennella9237
    cmennella9237 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kelsey...Congrats on the first month. I just completed my first month and am down 14 lbs. My goal is also 140 lbs. We can do this.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    kelseypow wrote: »
    Hello all! I've been on MFP sporadically for quite some time, but recently, I've decided to really commit to it. And it's working! I'm down 13 pounds now after just over a month. Still have a lot to go--I'm trying to get to 140lbs, the highest limit of a "healthy" BMI for me (I know BMI is kind of a garbage measurement, but it's a guide, at least).

My weight loss story... Well, I learned the hard way that anxiety, depression, and college life don't mix very well when it comes to weight gain. I've always been overweight, but I'd never hit anything like 200lbs before. My snacking was out of control and my weight along with it. I started to not be able to fit into my XL clothing, and perish the thought of getting into my size 10 jeans. Now that I'm out of school, I have the time and energy to focus on getting my weight down and trying to be healthier.

I'm focused on science-based ways of losing weight and getting fit (mainly good old CICO). MFP and my food scale are my weapons of choice.

As for my non-weight loss related facts, well, I'm 24 and from Montreal, Canada. Je parles français :smile: I'm a tech nerd, PC gamer, reader, writer, D&D player, and general all-around geek. I suck at social interaction most of the time, but text is easier. I'm on MFP daily and would love to have some motivational friends who I could motivate in return!

Feel free to send me a request :smile:

You sound completely lovely and smart :) GO YOU!