c2-5k

Options
i'm thinking of starting a program like the couch to 5k. and i'm just wondering:::
~how easy or hard it has been for everyone on here that has tried it?
~do you live somewhere that the weather majorly affects your running/walking ability(ie: like me, minnesota)?
~would you recommend it to someone who hasn't officially "ran" in about 10 years?
~and is there any little advice you could give someone thinking about, or just starting out on a c2-5k program?
thanks!

Replies

• iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    c25k is difficult, but that's because running for someone who doesn't run is difficult. like to someone who doesn't bake, baking would be difficult.
    when i started it, i was 106kgs (235lbs ish) to begin with. the last time i ran before this was when i was a child- literally 7 or 8. but i wanted to do it. i never thought i'd complete it, and thought anyone that ran was effing crazy! why would you run when there are buses, taxis, trains etc?
    but i started it- actually i started running between lamp posts first and built up to running for 60 secs.

now i regularly run for over an hour at a time. i'm 85kgs (185lbs or so i think). and i'm training to run a half marathon in oct.

i live in new zealand, where there are literally 4 seasons in 1 day. if it was torrential rain, i'd postpose it until the day after. because you're never out for longer than 30 mins on c35k, you can find that 30 min gap in the day, 3x a week.

advice would be to take it slow. literally run as slowly as possible. it's not a race, and it took me quite a while to learn how to run! and do it with time not distance- take a watch and literally run for 60 secs. you'll find it's easier to eep going for the last 20 secs than it is to run to the end of the street.

you can friend me if you like. i've been there and know exactly what you'll be facing.

and 1 more thing- take joy in your accomplishments at the end of each run. it will keep you motivated to get onto the next run.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I started it in April and finished at the end of June just before it got unbearable here in Phoenix. I never ran before I started the program and made it through without having to repeat any weeks. I can not wait for the weather to cool off so I can start running again. I may even start over so I can work on increasing my speed. Those first long runs were scary at first but the rush you get from finishing them can not be described.

In other words, go for it!!!
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow minnesotan! I just started doing the C25K program 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow morning will be my week 2, day 3 run.

~how easy or hard it has been for everyone on here that has tried it?
    I've actually found it difficult to stick to the short running segments. I want to push myself and keep going, but I know that trying too hard is what has derailed me in the past, so I'm sticking with the program.

~do you live somewhere that the weather majorly affects your running/walking ability(ie: like me, minnesota)?
    Yes! I ran last week when the humidity was so high, and I was completely soaked. I had sweat dripping into my eyes and it stung! But the feeling I had afterwards was so awesome, I didn't care.

~would you recommend it to someone who hasn't officially "ran" in about 10 years?
    YES! I was in the Army 10 years ago and haven't run since. Never did like it much back then, but it was something I had to do. Now it is something I LOVE to do!!!

~and is there any little advice you could give someone thinking about, or just starting out on a c2-5k program?
    I figured out that I never liked running before because I was trying to push myself too hard. Now I have the C25K program and a heart rate monitor, so I'm pacing myself and training the "right" way. So, my advice would be to take it slow at first. Don't worry about speed. Do what you can now; you can work on increasing speed after your endurance has increased. Oh, and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes (at a running store), then go home and buy the same shoes online for cheap. (I got my Asics for $40 on Amazon.)

Good luck, and I hope you love it as much as I do! :smile:
  • cacchiardo
    Options
    - I am on my final week of C25K and I love it! Before doing this I despised running, but this program has made running an activity I actually enjoy :)

- I live in Arizona, so the only time I can run is at night, any other time and I would melt into the pavement.

-I would recommend this to anyone that has the desire to begin running again. My advice would be to re run any week you want. At first, I looked at this program as a race I had to finish in 9 weeks, but it's much more beneficial if you take the time and re do any runs you didn't feel comfortable with.

Good Luck with the program! Add me if you want any other advice on C25K
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OK so let me start by saying that I have never run in my life. Never! Never wanted to, never liked it when I did etc....etc......then into my 30's not the greatest knees either. Last Sept. I bought a used excercise bike and started pedaling. I usually did around 10-14 miles a day on it. After 10 months and losing around 35lbs I decided I really did want to be able to run for excercise. I too had heard about the C25k program from MFP. I went online and looked at the plan and it didn't look too bad. I then downloaded the excercise podcasts that tell you when to walk and when to run onto my ipod and started. It was really awesome. I did the first 2 weeks and it pushed me........but it was doable. I don't think I would have been able to do it last year this time if I hadn't strengthened my knees before and gotten some wt off my joints. Then I went on vacation and then slacked off for another week after that. I was afraid to start back on week 3, so I just decided to start over again at Week one and see how it went. I just ran my second day of Week one again and I was pleased that it has been quite enjoyable and relatively easy to do. So I'm going to work up to completing it as best I can before winter. There is also a C25K treadmill version that you can use if you want to move it indoor during the winter. Weather affects us here too! Well hope this helps......good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    I am doing it right now. It is not easy, by any means. But I love it. I used to run, so its brough back my love for it. My advice is to take it slow. If you have completed wk 1 and feel like you need to do that week again, do it. I am repeating wk 2 right now. U can do it!!!!