Cutting

I have been lowering my calories down every two weeks I am now on 1400 and gym at least an hour a day should I keep my macro protein percentage as 20% or go up to keep muscle mass? E.g. 30%

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Macro percentages are very personal. I personally would go to 30%, because I want as much muscle as possible.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Rather go by 0.8-1g protein per pound of bodyweight. The percentages isn't really representative of what your body needs when it comes to protein. Also with fat you should keep it at least above 35g because of its effects on hormones, brain function and other vital processes
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    I keep my protein macros at 50% at all times. That's because I powerlift.
    Quicksylver296 is right tho, Macros are very personal and it all depends on what you specific goals are. I personally would bump up the protein macro if you want to hang on to muscle mass
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    lucym0802 wrote: »
    I have been lowering my calories down every two weeks I am now on 1400 and gym at least an hour a day should I keep my macro protein percentage as 20% or go up to keep muscle mass? E.g. 30%

What does 20% amount to in grams? Based on 1400 cals, I'm guessing that's about 70grams? 30% would be about 105g? 30% would be more ideal in terms of maintaining muscle mass. 35% (125g) might be even better.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    vmlabute wrote: »
    Quicksylver296 is right tho, Macros are very personal and it all depends on what you specific goals are. I personally would bump up the protein macro if you want to hang on to muscle mass

For most people, 50% would be way more than they need...

I prefer to use the .8-1g/pound. (Even in a deep cut my protein is less than 40%)
    Quicksylver and I also powerlift, I think she would agree, 50% protein is probably over kill.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    40/40/20 P/C/F are my normal cutting macros.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member

I prefer to use the .8-1g/pound. (Even in a deep cut my protein is less than 40%)
    Quicksylver and I also powerlift, I think she would agree, 50% protein is probably over kill.

I do, indeed, agree. I shoot for 160 grams at 177 lbs bodyweight, and total calories of ~1800.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Yea 50% would put me at 400g haha, way overkill.

And I would agree to aim for 0.8-1g protein per lb (lean body mass or bodyweight)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Set your protein goal in grams, not in percentages.
  • lucym0802
    lucym0802 Posts: 15 Member

I changed it to 105g protein , 47g fat and 140g carb ? Instead of yes the 70g protein
  • lucym0802
    lucym0802 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm also 5,2 and weight 56 kg with a body fat of 20.7% trying to drop it gradually to around 18% mark I'm rubbish at this