What gym machines to use for toning/defining

Im a female, 5'3 and 115lbs, I only ever do cardio, I'd like to tone up and define my abs, arms and legs. I don't want to bulk up or get muscular, I'm quite intimidated to ask the folk at the gym for help or advice as I feel stupid if I don't know how to use the machines or even which ones I would need to use to reach my goal which is embarrassing, . What are the best machine's to use to tone those areas?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    By "toning" and defining, you mean reducing body fat to the point where you see some separation of muscle. The degree of how much you want to see is based on your body fat percentage. There are NO MACHINES that achieve that. How much body fat you have is determined by how many calories you burn versus how many calories you consume or CICO. Burn more calories than you consume and you lose stored body fat.
    And contrary to popular belief, cardio isn't for "fat burning".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chubbychubwookie
    chubbychubwookie Posts: 2 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    By "toning" and defining, you mean reducing body fat to the point where you see some separation of muscle. The degree of how much you want to see is based on your body fat percentage. There are NO MACHINES that achieve that. How much body fat you have is determined by how many calories you burn versus how many calories you consume or CICO. Burn more calories than you consume and you lose stored body fat.
    And contrary to popular belief, cardio isn't for "fat burning".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh , I understand , I know all about cico, (I'm
    A recovering anorexic) I currently consume max 1200 a day when I'm not fasting , most of my nutrition comes from Fortisip currently , I'm already quite slim. So it seems like you're saying I need to get thinner again to get toned? At my lowest weight my bmi was 11.2 and I didn't look toned even thougb I was exercising 4 hours a day.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    I'm sure someone here will have better advice for you, but...

For abs, try core exercises such as russian twists, crunches, deadbug, etc. For arms, you can do bicep curls (cables or dumbbells), tricep pull downs or extensions. For legs, squats (probably want to start with a goblet squat if you aren't used to using weights), lunges, leg press.

You can look up the exercises on YouTube.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Toning or muscle definition will be dependent on your bodyfat % as well as muscle base. You can get super lean but if you don't have the muscle you will not have the definition you desire. So no, getting thinner will not necessarily be the answer. Also I wouldn't be concerned with being bulky at this point, for women it is very difficult to put on muscle unless in a surplus (even then it is slow).

It's not about machines, but resistance achieved. I would follow a progressive lifting program and eat at maintenance, especially considering your history with ED.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Im a female, 5'3 and 115lbs, I only ever do cardio, I'd like to tone up and define my abs, arms and legs. I don't want to bulk up or get muscular, I'm quite intimidated to ask the folk at the gym for help or advice as I feel stupid if I don't know how to use the machines or even which ones I would need to use to reach my goal which is embarrassing, . What are the best machine's to use to tone those areas?

If you want to be toned, that means fat loss. If you don't want to grow an area, that means you should work that area.

You are best to overall follow a structured routine to help preserve the muscles (which makes you leaner) and works to increase strength. If you want one glute focused you could look at StrongCurves. As you lean out, you will start to see defition. If you dont like what you are seeing, you stop losing weight or you gain fat.

And as a women, youd need to take somwe steriods to look bulky and even then it would take years. This stuff just doesnt happen over night.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well you might be blessed with "noobie gainz" initially. I have a similar mindset as you (in not wanting overall mass per say, just creating better proportions (keeping waist small & streamline physique) & body composition in fat loss). Can't say any machine in particular...might want to learn some basic exercises (bodybuilding dot com has a library based on muscle groups). I really would not worry about weight per se...proportions & the mirror...muscle will increase weight

You're going to want to work on progressive overload once you plateau & increase training freq. of specific muscle groups - some good resources to help you out: Lyle McDonald, Jeff Nippard & Stephanie Buttermore (youtube - natural bodybuilding, glute targeting focused with stephanie), & Mike Israetal (youtube - really good info on how to figure out progression/volume needs to maintain & gain)