How to handle my chocolate addiction

Options
I am trying to lose body fat and tone up my stomach for summer. I have a serious chocolate addiction that I can’t control. When I see chocolate, even if I’m not necessarily hungry or craving it, I will eat it without hesitation. I know the consequence of the item that I’m eating but I still want to do it! I need a tactic to control my chocolate craving and learn to control myself. How do I stop myself from eating 5 brownies? Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    check out walden farms their chocolate spread is 0 calories as is their chocolate syrup they have a more coco taste but freakin 0 calories
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    check out walden farms their chocolate spread is 0 calories as is their chocolate syrup they have a more coco taste but freakin 0 calories

just a word from my experience with Walden Farms...do NOT order the 'whipped peanut butter'....It is the most vile stuff I've ever tried! Had to throw out...and I don't waste!

Maybe the syrups are better? I've been too cautious to try...
  • zoedorman
    zoedorman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too! Really badly. The only tip that has honestly worked for me is to not buy it or have it in the house, and to drink a LOT of water when I'm craving it!
    Also herbal teas (chai) and coffee can help me when I'm craving chocolate, but honestly I know how hard it is. Good luck! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Brownies can’t be around in my house. But I have learned to stop at just one.

I like a dusting of cocoa on my Chai tea, and I use artificial sweetener. Low calorie and I get my chocolate.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sugar free fudgesicles, sugar free chocolate pudding, light hot chocolate. I can keep Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares in the house and eat one or two squares a day. BUT, Hershey Kisses...not so much.

• lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A fiber one brownie heated up in the microwave for 15 seconds and topped with a little halo top is my savior. Chocolate rice cakes with a little peanut butter on top are pretty good too.

This site is all about finding ways to fit things you enjoy into your deficit. If you can't keep any in the house without losing total control, then I suggest banking some calories throughout the week and taking yourself out on the weekend for a nice dessert.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Sugar free fudgesicles, sugar free chocolate pudding, light hot chocolate. I can keep Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares in the house and eat one or two squares a day. BUT, Hershey Kisses...not so much.

Ooh, yeah - the Fudgesicles were one of my go-to treats in my early days here! I forgot about those.

I second what @lolothedragon said about going out for a treat as well - if you can't keep it in the house, going out for just ONE portion of something nice once or twice a week (whatever fits in your calories) might be a good way to not feel deprived. Maybe take a trusted friend with you who would gently stop you from buying more and remind you of your goals?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters that say buy dark chocolate--72% at least, very good quality. Divide it up into small portions, weigh them out, and then have a piece once or twice a day depending on your calorie allowance. Dark chocolate takes getting used to, but once you do it scratches an itch that nothing else will.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

just a word from my experience with Walden Farms...do NOT order the 'whipped peanut butter'....It is the most vile stuff I've ever tried! Had to throw out...and I don't waste!

Maybe the syrups are better? I've been too cautious to try...

I do second the peanut butter is horrible threw mine out also. Used the maple syrup in baking in place of honey or syrup and like the jelly but more of a jello consistency but has the flavor.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Do you like dark chocolate? I found that the higher the cocoa content, the less I crave it. If I have milk chocolate, or even dark chocolate that's less than 80%, I always want more even if I eat my carefully-weighed portion slowly and savour it. If I have really strong dark chocolate, I can be satisfied with a small piece and not go looking for more.

As for brownies, I make small pumpkin brownies that are only about 90 calories each (more like a moist cake than a chewy brownie, but they're tasty!), and I try to limit myself to just one at a time and freeze them to make them last.

I want to make some pumpkin brownies and was going to change up a "normal" recipe. Can you share yours? 90 calories sounds just about what I'd like to hit.