Fat free/low fat protein suggestions

Options
Najacita
Najacita Posts: 24 Member
At the end of the day I check my macros and always go over in fat and under in carbs and protein with calories leftover. I never know what to eat to meet my macro targets. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The macro targets MFP gives you are basic targets. Going over or under is okay. Dietary fat does not make us fat and its vital to our hormone health and fat loss efforts when losing weight.

What types of carbs sources are you eating? As far as protein, low fat/fat free yogurt, fat free cheese, lean meats, chicken, egg whites, low fat diary (if you eat diary), beans (good carb source as well), etc.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Chicken, tuna, and salmon are great. Eggs too.

agreed.

adding.... salmon should be wild caught, that that farm raised *kitten*.

also, I believe that canned salmon is wild caught, not canned.

finding a way to prepare canned salmon is a separate issue.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you always go over, they're not your macros. What split are you aiming for? Why are you tracking macros in the first place? What kinds of foods do you like? If you're aiming for a specific range, you need to look at your day as a whole, build your meals up from the most important parts and add on with extras. There's usually no need to rely on low fat foods.
  • Najacita
    Najacita Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    what kind of fats are you having?

..... not to open a can of (fat free) worms here, but omega 3 fat is your friend; omega 6, not so much.

I am having mostly healthy fats - nuts and olive oil. Avocado on occasion.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition preventing it, you can play with your fat and carb macros to find something that works for you. Focus on hitting your protein goal, as that's the important one for muscles and organs. Some people like to eat high carb / low fat, others like to eat low carb / high fat. Both options are healthy - although not TOO low fat - your brain needs fat!

So really... your fat macro can be anywhere from approx 15% to 60%, depending on your preferences.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Focus on getting fat and protein where you want them and let carbs fall where they may. @AnnPT77 's link is great!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Najacita wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    The macro targets MFP gives you are basic targets. Going over or under is okay. Dietary fat does not make us fat and its vital to our hormone health and fat loss efforts when losing weight.

What types of carbs sources are you eating? As far as protein, low fat/fat free yogurt, fat free cheese, lean meats, chicken, egg whites, low fat diary (if you eat diary), beans (good carb source as well), etc.

My carbs are mostly coming from veggies, nuts and I limit myself to 2 fruit servings a day. I also eat a grain with each meal - limiting whole wheat bread, rice and pasta. I try to stick with lower fat meat options because of my age - and it's just what I like. Red meat 1-2 x a week. I eat yogurt, cottage cheese and other natural cheeses.

Yes, I do try to avoid the lowfat processed stuff because of the sugar they add. I am aiming to be ADDED SUGAR FREE, since sugar is a drug to me. I am a recovered sugarholic.

Thanks for all of your ideas and support.

I can see how you are coming up short on your carbs. You must be doing something closer to a LCHF diet at this point. To help correct the fat issue you should find more carb sources. Just keep tweaking your diet with food choices that fill in the macros as you need them to be.
  • anthonynaylor
    anthonynaylor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is pretty lean. Especially if you buy the ones that say "lean" on it B)
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • thelifeilove1
    thelifeilove1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I also am generally under on Protein. Recently I started using the Oscar Mayer Carving Board products in the packaged sandwich meat section of the meat department and canadian bacon. I've also been experimenting with 6 meals per day. So I'll have one slice of this -1 ounce two times per day aside from my usual 3 squares. Though I'm still not hitting my protein goal, I'm much closer now without pushing the fat macros up further. Also, you might experiment with some pre-packaged protein drinks, and if you make smoothies pick up some whey at the health food store to add. Good luck.
  • ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Fat, carbs, and sugar aren't the boogy-men that so many people want you to believe they are. Unless you have a medical need to stay below a certain threshold of fats, you can usually treat the macros as guidelines, and adjust as needed to reflect your actual diet. If you're otherwise eating well, why force yourself into changing your diet, possibly to something you like less that would be harder to sustain?

I largely ignore my fat macro because I eat a lot of "healthy" fats in eggs, seeds, nuts, avocado (yum), and use olive and avocado oil for most of my cooking. I nearly ALWAYS go over on fat, but am just at or just under my caloric goal for the day. I've been pretty consistently losing between a pound to two pounds a week since the middle of January. I do try to focus on hitting my protein goal because I work out a lot, and I need the fuel for my muscles. Carbs, meh, they exist, I also don't pay a lot of attention to them because I'm not the kind of endurance athlete that needs to eat a ton of carbs.

Focus on eating well, in a way that's sustainable for you.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    0% fat Greek yoghurt can help to boost the protein macro, and adding an extra egg white to your omelettes or scrambled egg.
    Also Cod Loin rather than Salmon - it has much lower fat even though the fats in Salmon are ‘healthy’, if you want to reduce the fat in your diet this will help.
    Lean crab meat and prawns with pasta can be nice.
    Obviously lean turkey and chicken breast. Pork loin (no fat). Bacon medallions with fat cut off etc.