Is binge (compulsive) eating disorder real?

Options
I'm wondering if doctors actually consider is an eating disorder or will they just ignore you? I have a tendency to eat and eat and eat. Way beyond my comfort zone for a couple times a week for a long time. I've also recently started purging when I eat too much (this is newly developed, past three days, but only due to eating so much). I don't know what to do or how to overcome this. It seems impossible.

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yes it is real.

That doesn’t mean you have it.

If you’re concerned about your mental or physical health, start with your gp. They can refer you for appropriate assessment.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if doctors actually consider is an eating disorder or will they just ignore you? I have a tendency to eat and eat and eat. Way beyond my comfort zone for a couple times a week for a long time. I've also recently started purging when I eat too much (this is newly developed, past three days, but only due to eating so much). I don't know what to do or how to overcome this. It seems impossible.

You need to have a conversation with your doctor
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's real. Get help.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This is a real thing and any doctor should take it very seriously, and refer you to the help you need to overcome this. You posted here and that is a great first step and kind of a shout-out for help. You are not alone or the only one to suffer from these behaviors, and there is help -- please take the next step and seek it?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You will be taken seriously. It can be overcome and it pays to get this looked into sooner rather than later.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    It is for me.
  • BootyEvolve
    BootyEvolve Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So I've actually been trying something for the past couple days and it has been working for the most part. I wait to eat when my tummy grumbles and when it does I drink 2 cups of water and wait 30 minutes. If it keeps grumbling then I eat a sandwich with carrots and drink more water. I'm doing my best to only eat when I'm hungry and not focus on calories. This means if I eat 500 a day, so what? Or if I eat 2000 a day. I'm not focusing on calories right now because that is what caused it. Once ice made substantial progress of only eating when I'm hungry this is when I'll be paying attention to the actual calories. So far I do good until dinner and then I eat a little more than I should. But I'm hoping tomorrow is better.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    So I've actually been trying something for the past couple days and it has been working for the most part. I wait to eat when my tummy grumbles and when it does I drink 2 cups of water and wait 30 minutes. If it keeps grumbling then I eat a sandwich with carrots and drink more water. I'm doing my best to only eat when I'm hungry and not focus on calories. This means if I eat 500 a day, so what? Or if I eat 2000 a day. I'm not focusing on calories right now because that is what caused it. Once ice made substantial progress of only eating when I'm hungry this is when I'll be paying attention to the actual calories. So far I do good until dinner and then I eat a little more than I should. But I'm hoping tomorrow is better.

I'm not experienced with eating disorders but it does seem if people try to lose too fast by eating too few calories, it usually results in going overboard later. I think slow and steady is the way for weight loss. Sounds like your coping method may be helping you!
  • nomorefat4
    nomorefat4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very real. I've struggled with it most of my life.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's real. You need to consult a professional in the field. There are many avenues you can take, they have in house rehab of sorts, and there is of course one on one therapy, as well as group therapy. Eating disorders are very common, and if you'd like a person to talk with about this, feel free to message me.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    BED is real

binging and purging would not just be BED, though, that's bulimia, which is also real

recovered bulimic here with a crumbled tooth or two to prove it. PLEASE see a doctor before you wreak the same kind of damage on your body as I did. it's not worth it. take care of yourself, please <3
  • lapinu390
    lapinu390 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Please add me.