I need the sobering truth about alcohol

Options
Here's the deal. I'm 23. I went to a party school. I like my beer. In fact I like my shot + beer. I've lost some weight in 2018 but its so slooooow. My gut tells me its because I haven't completely cut out alcohol. I went from 3-4 drinks a night to 1-2 drinks 3-4 nights a week. I want the blunt truth, is it probably hindering my success? I count calories in the app up until night time when i have a drink, however there's always room left in my caloric intake for the alcohol. My frustration could just be psychological. 2.5 months eating clean and I swear its not sugar that beckons me, its not salt, its not that juicy cheeseburger. It's alcohol.
Anyone go through this? Happy Friday!!

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    As long as you have counted the calories, shouldn't be a problem for losing weight.

Of course you shouldn't drink way above the recommended limits for health reasons - but that is another story
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I drank just about every night while I was losing weight and I lost as expected. That said, I was meticulous with my measuring (of alcohol and everything else).

This right here. Just log it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Does drinking lead to more eating that isn't getting logged? Some chips with the beer?

Log it all and see what the calorie hit is.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I drink every weekend. but I work it all off, it works for me. I LOVE MY BOOZE.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Log it log it log it........... It was a big reality hit for me. I LOVE a good whiskey and coke sometimes, until i realized one ounce of whiskey is about 70 calories. It's easy to rack on the calories from alcohol if you don't track it.

I'm still in college and leave some room for calories when my friends want to go out for the evening.
    Good luck!!:)
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I'm 23. I went to a party school. I like my beer. In fact I like my shot + beer. I've lost some weight in 2018 but its so slooooow. My gut tells me its because I haven't completely cut out alcohol. I went from 3-4 drinks a night to 1-2 drinks 3-4 nights a week. I want the blunt truth, is it probably hindering my success? I count calories in the app up until night time when i have a drink, however there's always room left in my caloric intake for the alcohol. My frustration could just be psychological. 2.5 months eating clean and I swear its not sugar that beckons me, its not salt, its not that juicy cheeseburger. It's alcohol.
    Anyone go through this? Happy Friday!!

I feel you. Same boat, exactly. Hit up the light beer, and make sure you log it. Now, my turning point was paying attention to my workouts. The nights I drank, I was sluggish but got through. Those nights I cut it out or 1-2, I killed it the next day. That satisfaction started to trump the excessive drinking at night. Not easy by any means, but decide how bad you want to kill it at the gym, and go from there. Fri and Sat are still a *kitten* show....! Good luck.
  • thetoughequus
    thetoughequus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of vodka and triple sec but DANG are the calories ridiculous... 4 shots (25ml x 4) is 280 and 450 calories respectively and that usually isn't even enough for a night out so I really had to choose if it was even worth it for me
  • valutz
    valutz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not a big drinker myself, but when I do, I like cider. I was shocked when I saw that one bottle of Old Mout has 200 calories. Not to mention that the only beer I like is an Irish creamy ale that also has something like 180 or 190 calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    First of all, you have reduced your alcohol consumption from 21-28 a week, an alarming amount for any woman, to 4-8 drinks a week. That is a huge accomplishment. Experts recently issued new guidelines for at risk drinking, another words setting yourself up for increased likelihood of alcoholism. Women are not supposed to have more than 7 drinks a week and no more than 3 in one day. So you did yourself an enormous service cutting back as much as you did. I put a link at the bottom if you want to read about it. The most difficult part of this process is logging EVERY calorie. It SUCKS. I'm 55 and at my age my metabolism is so much slower than yours I basically have found I have to exercise or I will not be able to eat enough calories to not feel hungry all the time. If I were you, I would log every calorie for a week, including the alcohol, then look at it. (Don't forget to measure wine- a serving is only 5 oz.!) Then you have a choice between adding enough exercise to accommodate the extra calories in the drinks, or cutting the drinks back yet again. If you reach your calorie goal most days and still are not losing weight after a month or 6 weeks, you might want to see your doctor and check that you don't have a slow metabolism for a medical reason. I have been on this only 16 days, and I have had two 5 ounce glasses of red wine and one Michelob light during that whole time. I was a light drinker to begin with- 1-3 drinks a week, but I really like a local brewed beer with a giant slice of pizza (yum) and had 2-4 margaritas a month, which I loved. Not having any now because margaritas have a staggering 500 calories each. The other issue with drinking, although I find it social and relaxing, is there is zero nutrition in it. I did a cleanse class once with a guy who liked to go to bars with his buddies, and he would bring a mason jar of filtered water to "go drinking". If it the social piece that you love, you might try having one drink and then switching to Perrier or soda water with a twist of lime. If you need it to relax, you could try yoga, meditation, a long hot bath or relaxation CD's. The upside for me, although my weight loss has been small, is I have already lost 3" of fat of my waist! Muscle is heavier than fat. I'll take it. https://www.rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/How-much-is-too-much/Is-your-drinking-pattern-risky/Whats-At-Risk-Or-Heavy-Drinking.aspx

Looks like a dude to me.

OP's profile indicates they're female.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    First of all, you have reduced your alcohol consumption from 21-28 a week, an alarming amount for any woman, to 4-8 drinks a week. That is a huge accomplishment. Experts recently issued new guidelines for at risk drinking, another words setting yourself up for increased likelihood of alcoholism. Women are not supposed to have more than 7 drinks a week and no more than 3 in one day. So you did yourself an enormous service cutting back as much as you did. I put a link at the bottom if you want to read about it. The most difficult part of this process is logging EVERY calorie. It SUCKS. I'm 55 and at my age my metabolism is so much slower than yours I basically have found I have to exercise or I will not be able to eat enough calories to not feel hungry all the time. If I were you, I would log every calorie for a week, including the alcohol, then look at it. (Don't forget to measure wine- a serving is only 5 oz.!) Then you have a choice between adding enough exercise to accommodate the extra calories in the drinks, or cutting the drinks back yet again. If you reach your calorie goal most days and still are not losing weight after a month or 6 weeks, you might want to see your doctor and check that you don't have a slow metabolism for a medical reason. I have been on this only 16 days, and I have had two 5 ounce glasses of red wine and one Michelob light during that whole time. I was a light drinker to begin with- 1-3 drinks a week, but I really like a local brewed beer with a giant slice of pizza (yum) and had 2-4 margaritas a month, which I loved. Not having any now because margaritas have a staggering 500 calories each. The other issue with drinking, although I find it social and relaxing, is there is zero nutrition in it. I did a cleanse class once with a guy who liked to go to bars with his buddies, and he would bring a mason jar of filtered water to "go drinking". If it the social piece that you love, you might try having one drink and then switching to Perrier or soda water with a twist of lime. If you need it to relax, you could try yoga, meditation, a long hot bath or relaxation CD's. The upside for me, although my weight loss has been small, is I have already lost 3" of fat of my waist! Muscle is heavier than fat. I'll take it. https://www.rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/How-much-is-too-much/Is-your-drinking-pattern-risky/Whats-At-Risk-Or-Heavy-Drinking.aspx

Looks like a dude to me.

OP's profile indicates they're female.

I take it back. Sorry OP and PP.
  • af240
    af240 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Considering a shot of liquor, can/bottle of beer, and a glass of wine are somewhere in the ballpark of 70-130 calories per serving of each, you could easily be wiping out your deficit with only a couple drinks. It's the alcohol for sure.

I know how you feel, I would loooove 2-3 glasses of wine 4-5 nights a week to wind down, but you can't just stop logging the calories because it somehow doesn't count. It still counts and I knew I had to cut it out because losing the weight feels better. If I wanted some wine I would plan my day to have enough calories for a glass or 2 that night, but now after a few months I don't even think about having it anymore.

Good luck!