Gastric bands?? A lazy way out or good choice? x

Options
2»

Replies

• johnthefatman
    Options
    Only for the really extremely obese 400+ and even then doing it the natural way is much better. Remember there's a large medical industry pushing these procedures to sell the equipment etc (true in the UK too) and because the procedures are evolving there is very little data on the long term effects what there is for the older operations is not good with evidence of long term side effects from malnutrition. As one critic said 'it's just surgically induced slow starvation'.
    IMHO (In my humble opinion) aplies.

j
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I actually feel slightly offended eventhough i know its not persobal when ppl say its lazy or a quick fix or even that ppl with bands dont get to "learn" the right way to eat. I got the band a yr ago and its been the hardest thing i've ever done. You HAVE to learn how to eat because certain things u eat hurt like a mother. I cant just go out and eat a hot dog or a burger and on my good days i can have a whole bite of chicken. Its a great way to change ur life and forces u to learn the right way to live ur life. Sometimes i get frustrated and just wanna binge but i know thats not even an option. So plz do more research before judging or assuming what ppl that have gone through the surgery go through. Anyway if u have questions i might be able to help, just let me know. Like i said i know it wasnt personal or anything but it hits home :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I think for some people it may be a good thing. It certainly isn't a lazy way out, because they still have to put int the work with a proper diet and exercise or they will gain all the work back. I would rather not go that route, but if a doctor told me do this or die I would do it in a heart beat.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i just spent the day with my cousin's girlfriend who had gastric bypass, and she lost 140lbs in 8 months....we were going to spend all day together and i though "oh awesome, i'm gonna hang out with someone else who's dieting!"

NOPE!!!!! she ate a big homemade waffle (with all the toppings) for breakfast, a NYC hot dog and roasted nuts as a SNACK, then ice cream, about 7 diet cokes throughout the day, chicken fingers and fries for lunch, pizza, bread, potatoes for dinner, then MORE ice cream......and that's just what i remember. she did look at the sugar in her ice cream because she said that if she eats too much sugar now, she feels sick, but then she bought m&m's and like 2 other bags of candy for the train ride home.

we were in NYC, so i was excited about all the walking we were going to be doing and she wanted to take the subway or a cab whenever we could! i was SHOCKED! how is this girl keeping the weight off???

i don't know about how the surgery works, but....i thought you were still supposed to make changed to your life. i'm not saying anything bad about this girl at all, she was very cool....but i just didn't get how she's able to eat how she eats and everything and lose 140lbs in 8 months.

she is the only person that i've spent a lot of time with who's had the surgery, so she's probably not the greatest example....but i'm just wondering if that's normal....
  • spaz2phreek
    Options
    @craft338 - Yeah....she's going to gain it all back. Sad.

I have 2 experiences in my personal life with it....

My sister in law just had....one of the 2 procedures, can't remember which one. Before she did, she spent a year working with a nutritionist & getting counseling. Her doctor required it of her. She probably could have found another doctor who would have made it easier but she didn't (and I'm super proud of her for taking the extra steps). As a result, she's started cooking healthier food a lot time ago which means my brother and nephews are eating better, too.

Also, my boyfriend's sister had one of the 2 procedures done in Mexico a couple of years ago. First, it created an issue for her with insurance here in the states. That sucks. But other than that, her eating habits are much better and she's sticking with them. She's happy with the way she looks, proud of being able to make lasting changes to maintain her new body and, as a result, has been able to stop taking anti-depressants.

The reasons motivating the choice, I think, are what make it a "good" choice or a "lazy" choice.
  • Finneyfaery
    Options
    Just venting.... I look at it as a quick fix. Not the easy way out, but definitely the LAZY way out. I was 270 at my heaviest. Surgery NEVER crossed my mind. I stepped up and took responsibility for what I had done to myself. There is no excuse. I can see if the person is like 400+ pounds and can't move....but change your eating habits first, then once you're able to drop some weight, try exercise. If you can walk...you can lose weight. It really ticks me off when people opt for the surgery before SERIOUSLY trying to lose the weight the RIGHT way... I know several people that have had or are going to have the surgery... Makes me so mad! They know I've worked my *kitten* off..LITERALLY, and see how dedicated I've become to getting fit and taking care of myself...then they go and do that to themselves. I've lost nearly 100 on my own... And I preach health. I was never fit before. Never ate right..but i have educated myself on nutrition and fitness and i do my best to pay it forward. But its been in one ear and out the other with people. They ask me how I did it, but I guess they're hoping I have some magic pill or machine that sucks fat out instantly..it's ridiculous. No one likes the truth. I WORKED and am WORKING HARD to get to my goal... It's like this.. Say you have been saving up for a house of your own. You work hard, you stress, you save and save and save all you can, you're getting closer to getting that house but still have a ways to go. You have a friend that doesn't have a job, has no desire to get a job, sits around all day doing nothing, then suddenly their rich uncle calls them up and says they're giving them a house..... Wouldn't that upset you a little? You want to be happy for them, but it hurts you because you know what it's like to actually work hard for your goals, not just to have them handed to you. That's just how I see it. Sorry if is offends anyone, but I am tired of this becoming the thing to do... Oh let's just all go get a bypass...we can start a club!! Lol.. I mean really.. There are no quick fixes. Change your MIND, change your body!!!
  • smokesone
    smokesone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree bellarox13 - If its medically needed then no problem, other than that log and jog the way to go!!!
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i just spent the day with my cousin's girlfriend who had gastric bypass, and she lost 140lbs in 8 months....we were going to spend all day together and i though "oh awesome, i'm gonna hang out with someone else who's dieting!"

NOPE!!!!! she ate a big homemade waffle (with all the toppings) for breakfast, a NYC hot dog and roasted nuts as a SNACK, then ice cream, about 7 diet cokes throughout the day, chicken fingers and fries for lunch, pizza, bread, potatoes for dinner, then MORE ice cream......and that's just what i remember. she did look at the sugar in her ice cream because she said that if she eats too much sugar now, she feels sick, but then she bought m&m's and like 2 other bags of candy for the train ride home.

we were in NYC, so i was excited about all the walking we were going to be doing and she wanted to take the subway or a cab whenever we could! i was SHOCKED! how is this girl keeping the weight off???

i don't know about how the surgery works, but....i thought you were still supposed to make changed to your life. i'm not saying anything bad about this girl at all, she was very cool....but i just didn't get how she's able to eat how she eats and everything and lose 140lbs in 8 months.

she is the only person that i've spent a lot of time with who's had the surgery, so she's probably not the greatest example....but i'm just wondering if that's normal....

I wouldn't automatically assume that she eats like this every day - maybe she was treating herself (admittedly rather extremely) as it was a special day out shopping?
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I see this is a very hot topic and people are responding passionately on both sides. I wanted the surgery for a long time, but could not afford it. The jobs I had/have would not provide insurance and I couldn't pay for it with my salary. I was betting my future on this procedure and felt like it was my only way out. After years of not being able to afford the surgery, I finally found the motivation(long story I won't get into in this post) to do it the "old fashioned" way. I must say this is the best decision I've ever made! I'm not going to put down people who feel they need this, but I'm sure most could do it without if they REALLY tried. You have to look deep inside yourself and find the strength that we all have. Find a defining moment or motivation that will keep you going. Surround yourself with people who will be supportive in your efforts.

In case any of you are wondering, my case is probably about as extreme as anyone on MFP. My starting weight was 665lbs:sad: :blushing: . I couldn't walk from my car to my house or job(desk job, btw) without breathing really hard & coughing.
    I even found it nearly impossible to stand long enough to take a decent shower or even clean myself after going to the bathroom. These things aren't easy for me to say, but if it helps someone it was well worth it.

Now after 6 months of losing weight the natural way, I've lost nearly 160lbs. I'm feeling better than I have in years. I went from barely able to walk to the house from the car, to doing over 1 1/2 miles a day on the treadmill, I know that as I continue, I will keep on improving.

I just said all of that to say this. People, you can do it without the surgery if you really commit to it. Reach deep down and find the strenght to get started. Trust me the results that follow will then keep you motivated. I'll be here to support you no matter which route you choose. :flowerforyou:
  • camillekemp
    Options
    i had a gastric by pass 2 years ago and have lost 10 stone it is the best thing i ever did i always thought it was the easy way out believe me its not easy the first year after is hell but the results are worth it i still have to watch what i eat and iam now working hard to lose the last stone for years i have tried every diet and pills going i even lost 5 stone with weight watchers but put it all back on at the age of 40 i got sick of fighting it i weighed 22 stone and knowing how hard this has been i dont think i could of done this on my own and i applaude people that do i now do alot of exercise and my health is so much better the only easy thing about this is that the weight tends to stay off and of course i made 2 best friends who had the opp the same day some people can not believe i was ever big
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Gary1977 your weight loss is truly inspiring!! Keep up the great work! I struggle with every lb so to see you've lost 3 times as much as me shows it really can be done. :)

Now.. back to topic.
    I do think theres is a reason for them, but all too often we hear of people who rely on them and don't learn the basics. This can be said about many things though. My aunt for one has always been morbidly obese since her early 20's, she had a heart bypass 4 years ago (quadruple) and still today lives her life eating rubbish. I was shocked that her daughter was BUYING her sweets and sugary snacks yet full of concern about her mums ever failing health. She is almost housebound now and struggling to move around as her legs have swollen etc etc.. the doctors are now saying 'we can't work miracles'.. and daughter was shocked by this attitude.

Honestly, something has to change to aid the surgery. Often in the UK under the NHS scheme people are told to lose a % of weight before surgery is given. This I feel is an incentive and will teach people to an extent. Sadly they don't always uphold it later on though.

I know a woman who is relying on getting surgery - she had a stroke and has gained weight but then eats everything and anything. She wants surgery and has applied for it. Personally if I'd had a stroke I would be avoiding a general anaesthetic at all costs let alone the effects of her weight. :( Sadly her daughter is a mirror image of her on a slightly smaller scale.

So.. lazy way out would be my overall judgement.. but it is a judgement and doesn't mean there is never a case for it.
  • abarde
    abarde Posts: 2
    Options
    I was prepared to have a Gastric Bypass here in Switzerland. But after thinking a lot, I got to this conclusion: If after the surgery, I need to change my old habits and start eating healthier and exercising, soooo why can't I do this without having to pass through all this pain and risks that this kind of surgery implies? It's way much easier like this! So, I just decided not having the surgery. And yes, I struggle a lot with dieting but I still have the option to fail and start over. The change of habit needs to start in our mind, and the surgery doesn't help with that at all!
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Because of my history sometimes I wish I had had the surgery instead of doing it the 'old fashioned way'. I lost 40 kilos over 2 years and gained back 12 (lost 6 of those now),in the last 3 years and I still have about another 15-20 kilos to go from this weight to a 'healthy' BMI.

I am eating disordered in a big way. I either eat almost nothing at all or am bulimic and in between those episodes I don't seem to care what I eat so the pounds pile on. I have been between 52 kilos and 140 kilos at different times in my life. The 140 kilo high was achieved with the help of anti-bulimia meds - I sort of wish I'd never taken them, but at least I still have some of my teeth thanks to the meds!

Keeping the link between food and health uppermost in my mind without slipping from one extreme to the other is incredibly difficult for me. I think that the band would have helped take some of that sort of pressure away from me and I think that it does help a lot of people in this respect if they can follow the rules, for the same reason that programs like LighterLife also help some people.

Luckily for me, my BMI wasn't high enough initially to qualify for the surgery - it was 42 and it needed to be 45. When I caught myself wondering how much I'd have to eat to put my BMI up another three points I decided I'd had enough and started counting calories/exercising and going for acupuncture.

I wouldn't say weight loss surgery was a lazy way out, and I don't think that the amount of effort required to lose the weight is any less than losing by counting calories/exercising, it's just easier to polish your own badge if you feel like you sweated all that fat out! Most morbidly obese people do have other issues that reflect in their relationship with food and I agree that the band can't resolve those issues, but unfortunately neither can eating healthy or exercising. The relationship that is disordered will always be disordered until the underlying issues are resolved.

Also, don't assume that health problems that morbidly obese people have when they lose weight with the band are all attributable to the band. I understand there are surgical complications but there can also be consequences just from losing weight on it's own. I have had many health problems since losing weight - eg gallstones, kidneystones etc, which I believe are a result of the weight loss.

Just my opinions and no offence intended to anyone.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think, whatever works. I would have totally got a gastric band except for the $$$ it would have cost me (i wasn't fat enough for it to be medically necessary) and also the judgement i would have received if i had have gone to the Dr to ask for it. When I went to the Dr about my weight, they wanted to send me to a dietician... Duh, i know what i should eat, it's the discipline that I lack, not the knowledge.

Seriously, whatever gets people to a healthy weight. And if more people were in a healthy weight range, the medical costs of the world would be alot less, less heart attacks, less diabetes, less joint issues, so many things would be less common.

It is so hard to eat well these days when all you see is junk junk junk, everywhere, at schools, in supermarkets, on TV, vending machines. It's all designed to tempt us to buy and eat the cr@p, the advertising and marketing is often smarter than the people seeing it, it's designed to brainwash us into wanting it, even if we wouldn't normally want it.

So, yeah, go the gastric banding, it helps many who just don't have to self control to stop when they've had sufficient food.